Knit 1, Purl 2 in Crochet

Bendy

I was so excited to get the book knit 1 purl 2 in crochet because I Love the look of knitting but have been crocheting for 40 years. when I got the book I found it very difficult to understand, maybe I am getting old but I was wishing for more pictures of examples. If someone could point me to a video about it or pictures showing more I would really appreciate it.

Perhaps if you contact Bendy (see previous posts) she would be able to help. :)

I was so excited to get the book knit 1 purl 2 in crochet because I Love the look of knitting but have been crocheting for 40 years. when I got the book I found it very difficult to understand, maybe I am getting old but I was wishing for more pictures of examples. If someone could point me to a video about it or pictures showing more I would really appreciate it.

I feel the same way you do. I was so excited to get the book, then couldn't understand it at all. :huh

Bendy,

I guess I am confused about it all, I thought that I could understand any instructions when it comes to crocheting but this one was not clear enough to me. I guess my first question is do I use one hook or two? I guess also more illistration would be good for me because I am very visual. I love the book and everything you have in there and I am amazed how you could make them but I really want to understand it also. Thank you for being so helpful I will be contacting you.

• 1 year later...

As I read posts from others, I see I am not the only one who is having difficulties understanding the instructions in this book. I would love if someone could "talk me through" even how to accomplish this co/bo first step. I feel so totally lost - and seriously wishing there was a video tutorial.

As I read posts from others, I see I am not the only one who is having difficulties understanding the instructions in this book. I would love if someone could "talk me through" even how to accomplish this co/bo first step. I feel so totally lost - and seriously wishing there was a video tutorial.

If you contact Bendy directly, I think she will help you :)

There are a bunch of ways to cast on in knitting. Some are easier/ sturdier/ stretchier/ perhaps nicer looking than others, or better suited to different stitch patterns and purposes.

Bendy chose to emulate the slingshot or long tail cast on, which is a nice one because it substantial, reasonably stretchy, and nice looking. It's also a little complicated.

In another thread a few months ago, someone else had the same issue with the beginning co/bo in Bendy's book, and I decided to try Bendy's co/bo concept with the simplest knitting cast on (backward loop). Lo and behold, I ended up with a CROCHETED CHAIN. How I got there was sort of bizarre, but that's what I ended up with.

So...since the book gets a little easier after the co/bo part, try just crocheting a chain and work the stitches into the chain to get the hang of the rest of the process, then go back to her way of doing Bendy's co/bo on a later swatch--hopefully it will make more sense then.

If you want a video to help you with the concept of the long tail cast on, go to knittinghelp.com and look at the video there. It's not the same, but it's the genesis of her process and might help you with the concept.

Also - DO pay attention to her advice to use a ginormous hook.

• 3 weeks later...

Granny Square gave the best advice, although I don't recall using the words, "ginormous hook" :)

She is right, work a simple chain then begin by working swatch one. You can always go back to the cast on/bind off later if you want to play with it.

Archived