Sweetheart Ripple

jeannej

I finally finished the 'Sweetheart Ripple' afghan that I was making for my granddaughter, Izzie. Some of you may be familiar with Kim Guzman's pattern from its CAL. Those of you not, note the the fun double-sided feature that Kim has worked into her design - the front showing up in hearts and the reverse side in ripples. The original pattern calls for two colors, but I chose to do mine in three. I used the suggested Caron Simply Soft and an H hook, working it shy of full size to betterr 'fit' a three year old.

Izzie's 'hug-o-meter' registered an oh-so-happy-high :manyheart resulting in the biggest tightest grandhug ever as she repeatedly asked if it was really hers to take home. lol -Thank you for looking.

post-29383-135897455551_thumb.jpg

The pattern can be found in the February 2009 Crochet World magazine.

post-29383-135897455534_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my that turned out sooooo beautiful.... I love the 3 colors you chose.. My aunt sent me the book with the pattern.... she's making it.. I haven't tried it yet.... It looks hard, is it?.... Izzie looks soo precious cuddling her new blankie.... Thanks for sharing! GBU!:):)

Oh thank you so much, everyone! Your generously kind comments were wonderful to wake up to this morning. :manyheart Thank you for helping get my Saturday off to such a delightful start. :yes

I haven't tried it yet.... It looks hard, is it?..

Thank you Dawn! The pattern isn't difficult, once you figure out where to place the 'front post treble crochet-sc' (fptr-sc). That stitch itself was a new variation to me but very easy to master. Unlike your typical post stitch, this one ends with an anchoring sc that gives the rows on the backside their solid look (no post-back gaps) So, if anything, it's the actual placement of the post stitch that can trip some folks up. I purposely chose to place mine just a bit differently than instructed, as it resulted in a more symmetrical heart shape from my perspective. Either way though, Dawn, I'm sure you could do it. What's nice is that it's one of those patterns where you can set the instructions aside once you get your bearings.

Absolutely GORGEOUS and so is the afghan :) I love the colors you chose and the fact that she loves it too and is excited to take it home. She will be wrapped in love and warmth for sure.

Thank you Dawn! The pattern isn't difficult, once you figure out where to place the 'front post treble crochet-sc' (fptc-sc). That stitch itself was a new variation to me but very easy to master. Unlike your typical post stitch, this one ends with an anchoring sc that gives the rows on the backside their solid look (no post-back gaps) So, if anything, it's the actual placement of the post stitch that can trip some folks up. I purposely chose to place mine just a bit differently than instructed, as it resulted in a more symmetrical heart shape from my perspective. Either way though, Dawn, I'm sure you could do it. What's nice is that it's one of those patterns where you can set the instructions aside once you get your bearings.

:)Thank you so much for the info.... I will have to put it on my to do list.... Hope mine comes out as lovely as yours! GBU!:manyheart

Thank you everyone; you are all so dear :hug

...how long did it take you to make?

You did nice work.

Well, Val, I can't really tell you as it was a project that I took off out of the gate with but then slowed to a crawl in a hit and miss fashion, until the finish line, I started early June and have only just finished :embar I worked on quite a few other projects in between. With that, though, I can tell you that I had no problems picking the pattern back up after each hiatus. :)

If it helps any in figuring, the ghan's rows are done in sc, so it's bound to take longer to reach the desired length than one done in a taller stitch. Maybe another who has finished a Sweetheart Ripple will be able to share their timing with you.

Archived