Thread size dissonance

HomekeepingGran

Carla I know what you mean. I have been making snowflakes in 20 and 30 and I just made some in 10. Now I am using a thread with a clear filament in it so it is not quite a size 5 but it is like working with rope. Lord help me when I go back to my crochet cotton.:hook

I feel your pain Gram...I am making tiny snowflakes with sewing thread then i had to jump to WW for the afghan i am making at football games to keep me warm at football games...felt like i was working with ships ropes. Now today back to sewing thread

lol--been there, done that. I have two projects on the hook, one is size 50 (really more like Cebelia 30), and one in size 10. The 10 feels thick and unwieldy. Oh, and I have a project made with actual worsted weight that I need to finish--ugh.

Hmmmm.... have just ordered a load of size 10 thread in fab colours - have got some 80 sat in the drawer waiting for a project to call it but have not tried using it yet - am waiting for a 'patient' day and a good doily to do it justice :hook

I'm curious about what kind of lighting you ladies use for working with the smaller threads. Sometimes I have problems with size 10 and if it's worked really tight, I simply have to take it outside. It's almost time for new glasses so maybe that will help!

Usually I sit on the end of the sofa with a lamp looking over my shoulder to do handwork. I wish it were over the other shoulder but it can't be. It's just a lamp, nothing special. The room is pretty well-lit in general with overhead lighting also.

LOL and I thought I was being brave, finally trying something with a 1.0mm hook! (Try going from that to WW! :eek --see my WIPs)) You know though, those comfort hooks made going "down" so easy!! I'm not remotely concerened about starting a size 20 doily (have the pattern, just need the time!) If I can work with a mystery thread that's comfortable on a 1.00mm hook, and I've even worked 3-strands-held-together of sewing thread...admittedly on a teeny --time-filler--project.

Can't wait to see what you're creating!

I've been thinking about all that #10 thread I have and the fact that not only do I need to use it, I want to. Maybe if I crochet a smallish project with worsted my inner "setting" will readjust and I can once again be happy with the #10? Whatcha think?

I'm sure we all go through phases and #10 will be a favorite again sometime soon!

Sapphire - I am really lucky to have a nice summerhouse to work in which has lots of natural light but if I'm playing in the evening I sit with a spotlight over my shoulder (which keeps me nicely warm too as I am a cold bunny most of the time). i do have 'natural' tasking light which I use for my parchment crafting but haven't tried it with crochet yet :cat

I've been thinking about all that #10 thread I have and the fact that not only do I need to use it, I want to. Maybe if I crochet a smallish project with worsted my inner "setting" will readjust and I can once again be happy with the #10? Whatcha think?

I think it's worth a try! :wink

It sounds like I need to invest in a good light for night-time work since I can't watch TV without a project to work on. It seems like this past year my eyes aren't quite as good as the last year. For a lot of years there was no change in my vision, now ............. I sure would like to attempt one of those "painted" doilies that were in Crochet! mag a few years ago.

Archived