Apak

Butterfly bookmarks

102 posts in this topic

Once upon a time... I found a pattern for a 3D butterfly in a Polish magazine "Diana Robótki Extra" 2/2006, BPV Polska Sp. z o.o., www.bpv.pl). After making hundreds of them ;) I started to think how to make the flat one. Finally I created those butterflies that I used for bookmarks. They are different than the original pattern, but I mention the one from the magazine, because it was my inspiration :). I asked the publisher and he agreed that I share the pattern modified by me. So here it is!

post-30828-135897453642_thumb.jpg

BIG BUTTERFLY BOOKMARK

Ch 7, join to form a ring.

1)Ch 3 (=1st dc), dc in ring, (ch 3, 3 dc in ring) 3 times, ch 3, 2 dc in ring. Turn.

2)Ch 1, into each ch-3-sp work: (3dc, ch 5, 3dc, ch 1); sl st into 1st dc of prev. rd. Ch 1, turn.

3)Into 1st ch-5-sp work [1 dc, 6 tr, pc (=ch 4, sl st in 4th ch from hook), 6 tr, 1dc], sc in ch-1-sp.

Into both next ch-5-sp work: [2 dc, 5 tr, pc, 5 tr, 2 dc], sc in ch-1-sp.

Into last ch-5-sp work the same as into 1st one. Sl st into 1st dc of prev. rd. Finish!

post-30828-135897453744_thumb.jpg

SMALL BUTTERFLY BOOKMARK

Ch 7, join to form a ring.

1)Ch 3 (=1st dc), 2 dc in ring, (ch 4, 3 dc in ring) 3 times, ch 4, 3 dc in ring, ch 1. Turn.

2)Into 1st ch-4-sp work: [1 dc, 4tr, pc (= ch 4, sl st in 4th ch from hook), 4 tr, 1 dc], sc in 2nd dc (of 3 dc group in prev. rd).

Into both next ch-4-sp work: [sc, 2dc, 3tr, pc, 3 tr, 2dc], sc sc in 2nd dc (of 3 dc group in prev. rd).

Into last ch-4-sp work the same as into 1st one. Sl st into 1st dc of prev. rd. Finish!

post-30828-135897453758_thumb.jpg

For the tassel make a long chain of a few threads, then sew it to the butterfly.

I starch the butterfly and the part of the tassel that is the butterfly’s body. Then I add the bead – it should have the big hole! I also use the hot glue (from the glue – gun) for the bead, so it won’t be missed.

post-30828-135897453735_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Your bookmarks are beautiful, thank you for sharing your pattern.

Thanks for sharing this, I made a butterfly jacket a while back, I think I will make some of these and add to it. They are beautiful!

That is so nice. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I think these are going to be made up and go in many stockings this year.

Over the weekend I made up 6 of these bookmarks--so pretty. My daughter turns 13 in a few weeks. I intend on giving her friends one at her party...Thanks for the pattern!!:hook

Ooooohhhhh, butterflies!! I LOVE butterflies! and I love bookmarks. Thanks bunches. They are beautiful.

These are beautiful. You did a wonderful job with them. Thanks for sharing the pattern with us.

May I ask if you used thread (if so, what size) or yarn?

I use different kinds of thread - it is usually the thread that has about 600m for 100g so I guess it is 5'' thhread (but I am not sure). It is good for bookmarks, but you can use any thread or yarn.