Crochetted Rug

jillybean

The worst part of crocheting with rags is ripping everything into 1" wide strips. Once that's done though, it's just a matter of weaving the ends together as you go. Luckily though, I'd found some sheets at a flea market, so was able to make one long strip out of each.

This is just a slight oval and I had to rip it out a few times to get it right. After Christmas gifts, I think I'll make another for our foyer.

post-22989-135897449632_thumb.jpg

What a beautiful rug!!! I love everything about it. I've always wanted to cry crocheting with fabric, but even after almost 40 yrs I've never gotten around to it. Yes, you've gotta have at least one for yourself too!

Awesome rug!!:clap A long time ago, I made a crocheted rag purse. I really wasn't too happy with the way it turned out!! I probably have it stashed way in the back of something!! :eek

Wow! That rug came out so nice. It looks wonderful on your wood floor. And I love the idea of using sheets. These always seem available at flea markets and thrift stores. You can practically make a rug for free.

Wonderful, Jillybean!!! I have yet to crochet a rug but you have inspired me to add one to my WIM list! Yours turned out so well! :yes I was also wondering what size hook you used?

The rug is beautiful. Along time ago I bought the kit to braid rugs, I attempted it with the metal gagets they provided. You have to pull the strips through the gagets/shuttles(whatever you call them) and then sew the braids together. I had a difficult time with it and put it down and never attempted it since. I like the idea of crocheting it. What size hook did you use? I might give it a shot. I already have the strips.

I've long wanted a rag rug for my kitchen, and saved the cheap upholstery throws I used on my old furniture when I bought to serve as the base. I never thought of yard sale sheets--how clever! So you tie them together in one long strip and crochet it? What was your formula for increasing the rounds (that's what has hung me up on the small cotton rug I made for my kitchen)?

Yours is beautiful! Patty

Thanks everyone! I used a 7mm hook, not sure what that translates to US.

I cut the sheets into one long strip where I could, like this:

post-22989-135897449786_thumb.gif

Imagine cutting along the thin line, the thick line is the edge of the sheet with any hem removed. The weave of the fabric was turned then, because of the nature of the cuts, and wasn't along the same bias. That may have caused issues but I haven't had any, probably because I used a double-crochet stitch, not the single crochet of most patterns. This gives the rug a soft give in the stitches, but the cotton means it doesn't lose it's shape.

Then when it came time to add a strip or change the colour, I cut a small hole in the end of the last strip and threaded the start of the next strip through the hole to a length of three or four inches. Then I crocheted as usual with the doubled fabric until the ends were all crocheted into the pattern. I found that trick on-line. I've washed the rug twice now and there's been no peeking out of loose ends yet.

The funniest thing for me is that I have psoriatic arthritis, where it occurs in my hands in random finger joints. I thought crocheting with the heavier cotton strips would be painful, but instead I found it eased the swelling in my fingers. Go figure!

I really like the rug! :U Did you fold the strips (in thirds) so that the ragged edges were in the center of the strip? :scrachin I only ask because when I tried to crochet with fabric, I ended up with so many loose threads hanging from my project that I didn't care for it. Your rug looks much neater than what I ended up with. :tup

Archived