CrochetbyClarissa

Substitute for Pound of Love

Question

I have a pattern that calls for Lion Brand Pound of love but don't have any and have never worked with it so I have no clue what the texture or size of it is.

What could I use to substitute it? I am hoping that I have something on hand that I can use so I don't have to go out and buy more. I'm trying to stash bust..LOL

7 answers to this question

It's just regular WW yarn, I believe. You could probably use about anything you have on hand. I would say it's about the same as Bernat yarn. I think it's a little softer than Red Heart but you could probably use that as well.

It's just regular WW yarn, I believe. You could probably use about anything you have on hand. I would say it's about the same as Bernat yarn. I think it's a little softer than Red Heart but you could probably use that as well.

Thank you sooo very much!! I have tons of Red heart that I could use too!

Pound of Love is technically worsted weight, but it's noticeably thinner than Red Heart. I've made several blankets with a Pound of Love (which is literally a pound - 16 ounces) and almost always had some left to spare, but have made the exact same pattern with Red Heart and used three full 7 ounce skeins and had to break into a 4th one to finish it (about 22 ounces total). Any worsted weight will work but you will likely need more of it. :D

Pound of Love is technically worsted weight, but it's noticeably thinner than Red Heart. I've made several blankets with a Pound of Love (which is literally a pound - 16 ounces) and almost always had some left to spare, but have made the exact same pattern with Red Heart and used three full 7 ounce skeins and had to break into a 4th one to finish it (about 22 ounces total). Any worsted weight will work but you will likely need more of it. :D

Thank you! If I have to use more all the better for stash busting! LOL

Same for me but I love the pounders and they are usually on sale a good price here but red heart will work fine. Mary

For future reference, if you want to know about a yarn, go to the manufacturer's web site. Nearly all of them give full information on each of their yarns: weight, yardage,

what the yarn is made of, and color range charts. This also lets you know what has been discontinued: if the yarn you are searching for is not on the company's web site, then you know it has gone to that great yarn basket in the sky -- and to eBay.

Jean Leinhauser