What is a nice, stretchy crochet stitch?

Mooncatcrochet

Question

I really want to make gloves for many people, including homeless people, but i find it hard to gauge different size hands. It doesnt help that i have really small hands, and i try to make bigger sizes but they never quite look right because i'm guessing how much bigger they'd have to be to suit a larger woman's hand, or a man's hand.

Is there a stitch i can use that is nice and stretchy, like knitting? and i can use it to make lots and lots of gloves, without worrying that they would be hard to fit people?

(of course I would knit them if I could knit, but i've never been able to get the hang of knitting, lol!)

7 answers to this question

If you find a good pattern please post. I have never found one I like and think they are better knit, my hands hurt doing all the slip stitching since it's tight to get into and I crochet a little loose. I am thinking of trying this to go with my charity hats and scarves so I won't have to ask a knitter to do the mittens for me anymore. Mary

I posted this question on Ravelry and someone suggested this - do a sc, ch1, sc all the way across, and then on the next row, do the same but do the sc into the ch1 space below. Haven't tried this yet but apparently it's nice and stretchy!

Failing that, just use some stretchy yarn...

something that might give a good stretch would be to do do rows of sc in the back loop only, so that you get ridges...that's stretchier than regular sc thru both loops. also then instead of working across the short side of the mitten, ie across the palm, if you worked the long side, so from wrist to finger tip, so that you'll have the most stretch across the palm. i hope that makes sense! i thought i saw a pattern like that somewhere, i'll look and let you know if i do.:wgrin

hmm that link isn't working some reason..i'll try to repost it with another one i found.

this is the same pattern i tried posting a link to above, but on this page there are matching patterns for a scarf and hats. http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/wintergear.html

Bev has a lot of patterns for charity projects on the main page.

and here is a pattern from lion brand that has different sizes of mittens.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-mittens.html

hopefully this time i got the links right!

Archived