Cate Blanchette... oh my

Darsa

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... And I behold no beauty there...

My guess is she really didn't want to get up off of the couch where she was curled up under an afghan, so she wore it.

An yes I agree with RoseRed this didn't do our craft/artform any favors, no matter what their intentions were.

I took a very close look at the 2 dresses. She is not wearing the origonal. No matter how closely the colors match - they are not the same. (Take a REALLY close look at them)

I cannot even begin to fathom why someone would 1) copy a piece of art that was already created, 2) copy that, and 3) just have to wonder how much her one armpit was sweating under that afghan?!?

Rose red I think it is the same dress. The colours look a bit different becasue of the flash.

Check these 2 pictures out. All I can say is at least she ditched the curlers!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,26090963-5007192,00.html

Wntc featured the first photo on their site a few months back.

The dress was cut from an old afghan made by the designers grandma. It was never intended to be a dress, hence it is an example of recycling or repurposing.

As an aside I volunteer in a charity book store, and yesterday I hade a middled aged mum and her bid 20s daughter looking for how to crochet books. They had seen the dress and decided they would learn how to crochet. Not because they liked the dress, but because it had raised their intrest into doing something they had been putting off for years. Sometimes any publicity is good publicity!

Rose red I think it is the same dress. The colours look a bit different becasue of the flash.

Check these 2 pictures out. All I can say is at least she ditched the curlers!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,26090963-5007192,00.html

Wntc featured the first photo on their site a few months back.

The dress was cut from an old afghan made by the designers grandma. It was never intended to be a dress, hence it is an example of recycling or repurposing.

As an aside I volunteer in a charity book store, and yesterday I hade a middled aged mum and her bid 20s daughter looking for how to crochet books. They had seen the dress and decided they would learn how to crochet. Not because they liked the dress, but because it had raised their intrest into doing something they had been putting off for years. Sometimes any publicity is good publicity!

I think it's the same dress also.

Yay for the people who found their interest in crochet rekindled:hook

talking about publicity, maybe Cate chose the dress in part because she felt it would generate interest (positive and negative) and people would read about the opening of the Australian Centre for the Moving Image---i'm pretty sure I would never have heard of it if not for the dress!

True, art is not always conventionally beautiful. :lol Take the Viennese artist who dipped his poo in gold and exhibited that. :) Is it art? What is art? Who defines it? I guess like most aspects of any craft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I behold this dress with a shudder. To my mind, it's not necessarily art - it's a statement.

Why I don't like the dress? Well...

I don't like it because I don't find the colour scheme harmonious - it's jarring; the dress design is not pretty - the one sleeve looks heavy and tacked-on (it would have been better sleeveless.) Overall, the dress washes her out - it would've made a funky scrapghan on the back of someone's sofa, but with Blanchett's complexion it totally dominates her and makes it look like the dress is wearing her, not the other way around. The style of the dress doesn't flatter her figure - it looks kind of sack-like, ruffles and all. And I don't know much about Blanchett but she seems too demure to wear a dress like this with drama and aplomb, which is what it needs. As I said, it looks like the dress wrestled her to the floor and covered her as she was leaving the house for the awards ceremony.

The Amex dress is OTT but it's still got a nice flow and a flattering line (I never thought I'd write that sentence about a dress made of credit cards.) Don't know who the celebrity is who wore it, but the colour matches her skin and hair and she accessorised it well. The knitted dress has a more harmonious colour scheme and a good line: it's being worn by the actresses, it doesn't take over their personalities. I don't like it either, but find it more attractive than the scrapghan frock.

I agree art is very hard to define, and i also agree that this dress is a statement---and it is speaking to us all in different ways, apparently;)

I share your opinion that this dress is not pretty, but I don't think it was intended to be.

I thought it was amazing that the credit card dress was so attractive-looking, it is rather flattering to the wearer--who is the designer.

the deconstructed knits, I guess i "get" it:think I think they'd probably fall apart or lose their shape pretty quickly, but again they are not intended to be sturdy garments I'm sure.

I share your opinion that this dress is not pretty, but I don't think it was intended to be.

Yes, but as a crocheter, that's my problem with this dress. As I said, I have a feeling that Blanchett deliberately chose something hick and horrible to make a statement - sadly for us, she tapped into the underlying belief that crochet is hick and old-fashioned, and confirmed it with that thing. What a pity for us. It annoys me as a crocheter because the really pretty crochet dresses (and there are many) are inevitably mis-labelled "knitted dresses" by (sometimes even fashion) journalists. It's ignorance of the craft-form, of course, but it makes me wonder if people's general perception of the crochet craft is not entirely coloured by those, um, interesting scrapghan grannies: when a genuinely pretty yarn garment makes the headlines, "it must be knitted because crochet's what you do to make those horrid blankets!" :(

Yes, but as a crocheter, that's my problem with this dress. As I said, I have a feeling that Blanchett deliberately chose something hick and horrible to make a statement - sadly for us, she tapped into the underlying belief that crochet is hick and old-fashioned, and confirmed it with that thing. What a pity for us. It annoys me as a crocheter because the really pretty crochet dresses (and there are many) are inevitably mis-labelled "knitted dresses" by (sometimes even fashion) journalists. It's ignorance of the craft-form, of course, but it makes me wonder if people's general perception of the crochet craft is not entirely coloured by those, um, interesting scrapghan grannies: when a genuinely pretty yarn garment makes the headlines, "it must be knitted because crochet's what you do to make those horrid blankets!" :(

I guess where we differ is that I don't think that all scrap, i.e. multicolored, grannies are inherently ugly and hickish. I don't love the squares used to make that dress, and have seen many granny square blankets that I liked better. But I respect the crochet tradition that the scrap-granny comes from---as my mother used to say, "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" (not that she strictly adhered to that maxim). so to me this is an example of a home-y, perhaps homely, item transformed into red-carpet wear. In my eyes, it is quirky and humorous, not ugly.

hey if you want hick and horrible check out Hugo weaving and Geoffry rush who turned up at the same event.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo-gallery/gallery-e6frf94x-1225775826881?page=1

Of all the coverage of this the media is all over Cate! Incidently my daughter works as a volunteer at the academy. If you are ever in Melbourne it is a great place to spend some time.

hey if you want hick and horrible check out Hugo weaving and Geoffry rush who turned up at the same event.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo-gallery/gallery-e6frf94x-1225775826881?page=1

Of all the coverage of this the media is all over Cate! Incidently my daughter works as a volunteer at the academy. If you are ever in Melbourne it is a great place to spend some time.

those pics help put it in perspective...not exactly a super-glitzy red carpet!:lol

I like the cinematographer in the totally deconstructed jacket (or maybe it really is just the lining?) and the wrinkled pants, and the designer in the bright blue suit and neon green shoes! Cate fits in quite well with them and the very casual actors:lol

those pics help put it in perspective...not exactly a super-glitzy red carpet!:lol

I like the cinematographer in the totally deconstructed jacket (or maybe it really is just the lining?) and the wrinkled pants, and the designer in the bright blue suit and neon green shoes! Cate fits in quite well with them and the very casual actors:lol

Thats Melbourne for ya!

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of granny squares to begin with...and this dress just reinforces my dislike of them further...dresses like this is why crochet gets a black eye...

That seems like an odd pattern---it shows a shape to cut out but no dimensions are given. Am I missing something? Or is the "pattern" a put-on?

personally, i like it, i was actually thinking about making a skirt like that...or is just me?

It's not just you, I've seen granny square skirts that I thought were really cute.

Archived