Cate Blanchette... oh my

Darsa

Speechless

Oh wait, I think I know what happened.

She was thinking about her gown and was inspired while watching a rerun of Gone With the Wind (or maybe the Sound of Music?).....

However, a rerun of Rosanne came on and instead of the green drapes she decided to go with the afghan on the back of the sofa?

Wow I normally love Cate Blanchett's fashion sense, she is normally soooo classy. In this case though, I'd like to slip her a note that says this is how a granny square dress should be done...http://www.garnstudio.com/drops/mag/115/4/4-2.jpg

Next on "What Not To Wear"

or The What not to Crochet blog ... right next to the motorcycle cover

There are so many beautiful ways to wear crochet but I don't think the granny square was ever meant to go formal

I have to agree with this. I thought that dress was a HUGE no no! LOL Hey, but it did take some guts to wear that!!!

i havent been here for quite a while...but as i was browsing another blog this evening, and came across blanchett, i rushed over here to see if it was all the talk!

i know some of us crocheters saw it and were thinking some of those squares could totally be ones we've sent out in donations!

ok... call me crazy but I actually like the dress. I think the black ruffle and the black stockings made it nice. To me she looks lovely in it and truthfully, I would wear that dress if I had a special occasion.

This is a hoot. You have to admire Cate for taking the micky out of the red carpet. After all this is Melbourne, and not Hollywood. Aussie kitch at its best, ala never take your self too serious.

I actually think it will start a craze. The designer is an Australian company who have some really outrageous designs on their web.

http://www.romancewasborn.com/

A lot featuring crochet.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,26090963-5007192,00.html

wow. I've seen some really cute granny square jackets, and even intend to make one for myself one day....but this is something else entirely. A formal gown out of thread or even light weight yarn I could see....There are some beautiful patterns out there - even wedding gowns....so why would she choose that? Maybe she did it on a dare....

The dress was featured at Australian Fashion week. If you check out the web site and look at the doilies section they have some real wacky designs. At least she didnt choose number 16 - the squid on the head.

That cracks me up! lol At least it fits nicely and isn't all droopy and boxy and misshapen. And really, I love the multicolored granny square so while I wouldn't wear it I actually kind of like it, lol.

could she be anymore damaging to our craft wearing something that looks like a scrap ghan like that?!?

My thoughts *exactly*. No offense to Ms. Blanchette.

I can think of dozens of gorgeous crochet dress designs, but, that??? I'm speechless. And not exactly in a good way.

could she be anymore damaging to our craft wearing something that looks like a scrap ghan like that?!?

Yes, yes, oh yes. RoseRed, you took the words out of my mouth (head). I appreciate the self-deprecating irony, the commentary on the superficiality of Hollywood etc but ohmygoodness, I really fear that Ms Blanchett thought "I'm going to make a statement about how image-obsessed these people are by turning up in the ugliest and hickest dress I can find!" And what represents "ugly" and "hick" and "old-fashioned" for many people? Why, a crocheted granny blanket!

As a crocheter I think this dress will just confirm the negative stereotypes the majority of people have about our craft :(

I can't quite get the romance wasborn site to work, but the second article Cupcake linked to is great! the designers talking about it's a one-of-a-kind piece, never meant to be copied.

I look at it as a form of art....pop art like Warhol's soup cans. remember Bjork's swan dress? Lizzie Gardiner's credit card dress---she is Australian too http://fashion.about.com/od/celebawardsshows/ig/Celebration-of-Oscar-Fashion/Gold-Amex-Dress.htm Even the criticism of Uma Thurman when she wore that flowy "milkmaid" dress which was actually haute couture but didn't fit the image people have of "star on the red carpet" and she was lambasted for it.

And the crochet artist who was on the Martha Stewart show---some people couldn't believe anyone would crochet a urinal, but he is an artist. art is not always conventionally beautiful.

I say good for Cate for having a sense of humor.

Re the concern about the craft of crochet being damaged by Cate's dress.....

the craft of knitting seems to have survived Rodarte's deconstruction as worn by Rachel Weisz http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2008_Oct_Rachel_Weisz/popup/slideshow3.html

and Kirstin Dunst http://www.teenvogue.com/style/blogs/fashion/2009/02/knit-wit-kirsten-dunst-in-rodarte.html

so I really think crochet will too :lol

I look at it as a form of art....pop art like Warhol's soup cans. art is not always conventionally beautiful.

I say good for Cate for having a sense of humor.

True, art is not always conventionally beautiful. :lol Take the Viennese artist who dipped his poo in gold and exhibited that. :) Is it art? What is art? Who defines it? I guess like most aspects of any craft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I behold this dress with a shudder. To my mind, it's not necessarily art - it's a statement.

Why I don't like the dress? Well...

I don't like it because I don't find the colour scheme harmonious - it's jarring; the dress design is not pretty - the one sleeve looks heavy and tacked-on (it would have been better sleeveless.) Overall, the dress washes her out - it would've made a funky scrapghan on the back of someone's sofa, but with Blanchett's complexion it totally dominates her and makes it look like the dress is wearing her, not the other way around. The style of the dress doesn't flatter her figure - it looks kind of sack-like, ruffles and all. And I don't know much about Blanchett but she seems too demure to wear a dress like this with drama and aplomb, which is what it needs. As I said, it looks like the dress wrestled her to the floor and covered her as she was leaving the house for the awards ceremony.

The Amex dress is OTT but it's still got a nice flow and a flattering line (I never thought I'd write that sentence about a dress made of credit cards.) Don't know who the celebrity is who wore it, but the colour matches her skin and hair and she accessorised it well. The knitted dress has a more harmonious colour scheme and a good line: it's being worn by the actresses, it doesn't take over their personalities. I don't like it either, but find it more attractive than the scrapghan frock.

Archived