What's the worst thing that's happened to one of your projects?

I was just posting a reply to another topic when it made me remember something that happened to me. About a year ago, I was working on a granny square afghan and had it about 3/4 of the way finished when my three year old decided that he wanted to "help" mommy. While I was folding a load of clothes, he took a pair of scissors to my afghan and cut about 1/2 of the blocks up :eek. Now mind you, he didn't think he was doing anything wrong, he just thought he was being helpful. He even brought me a couple of the blocks to show me how good of a job he did. He did get into trouble, but I just about threw up from all of those destroyed blocks.

Having said all of this, I was just wondering if anything like this has ever happened to anyone else? Please tell me that I'm not alone in all of this LOL!!!

Well this is going to make me sound a little stupid but I'll tell it anyways. I started to learn to crochet from a book. Being a very visual person, this was a bad decision. I just couldn't understand what I was being told to do and they had drawings instead of actual pictures and I didn't have my computer yet. I started doing what I thought was single crochet. It didn't look like the images but I figured I just needed to loosen up. Well I since I had learned that I was going to start a solid single crochet blanket for my husband in a camouflage yarn. Something wasn't right, but I didn't know what and it was working so I kept going. After I got my computer I was on a website that had video tutorials of crochet and I decided to look at some of them and I noticed I wasn't doing a signle crochet at all. I had slip stitched almost a third of a blanket. I was completly baffled. I checked other sites tutorials because I just couldn't believe it. Of course after seeing the videos, when I looked at the instructions in my book, it made complete sense.

Hmmm, it's my own fault, I was forewarned that it was going to happen. Did I listen, of course not. Anyway, yesterday I left my crochet on the couch while I went to eat dinner. I made sure it wasn't on the edge for the puppy to get or see. Yeah right... thankfully, she only took out about two rows of a very intricate crochet pattern. And she didn't touch Jimbo's hook, left it alone, but I had yarn all over the living room and kitchen that I had to clean up. It was great. I now know to keep my crochet out of doggy's reach.

I remember when my brother was a toddler which is a very long time ago got mad at our mom she was always crocheting all types of doilies and tableclothes and bedspreads he decide to unravel all the crocheting she was working on. Talk about a frustrating thing to happen. God Bless Mom she held her own when this happen.

When my eldest son was about 2-2 1/2 years old, I had gone in to start dinner. Everything was way too quiet in the living room. I walked in and there he was, in the middle of the floor, unraveling an afghan that I had been working on for weeks. He looked up at me with the most sweet smile and proudly said, "I helping mommy". It was so precious and so heartbreaking at the same time. I grabbed my camera and took one of the sweetest pictures to this date. He was literally covered in yarn up to his waist.

I had left an afghan I was working on in its designated bag and then closed the bag, which has a toggle and loop as closure. I had finished all of my squares and I had assembled the first two rows. If you have read any of my posts about joining squares, then you know that I hate that part. Fortunately I was slip-stitching the squares together rather than sewing them together, since I loathe to sew. During the night, my male kitty decided that he wanted to help and so he dug in the bag until he got the piece that had been assembled out, and in so doing managed to tear up one square completely and disassemble one of the seams. I had to take all of the squares apart, do minor repair work where the seam was damaged and re-crochet the square that he had completely destroyed. I felt just sick when I saw it, but I got it fixed. Now I keep that afghan out of kitty reach.

I've been very lucky so far (knock on wood!) that none of my items have ended up unraveled, damaged, or destroyed. At least not to my knowledge! :lol

The worst that has happened so far - and this really is heartbreaking to me - is that items I've given to people have been packed away and never used. My grandmother labeled and packed everything I ever made her in a special drawer (with all the other pretty things other people had made her!) and continued to use the same old ratty dishrags and pillowcases. It was sweet of her that she thought the things I'd made were that special, but I don't believe in saving things for special occasions. I wish she had used them.

It also broke my heart on our last visit to my in-laws to find the dish cloths I'd made crammed in the back of the towel drawer in the kitchen, never used, and the shawl I'd made my MIL buried at the bottom of a tote of bed linens for the king-sized bed they no longer had, so it had been there a while (she emptied out the tote while we were there for us to take some stuff home in). They use the no-sew fleece blanket I made them on an almost daily basis, but never the crochet stuff. I know once you give a gift, it's out of your hands what the recipients do with it, but I sure wish they'd use it! Maybe I should try making them an afghan...

I was almost finished with a shawl that I was working on. I had only the edging to do and had finished it off from the skein of yarn. I rode the train to work everyday, working on it coming and going and when I got up at the station, I must not have pushed it deep enough into my tote bag and moving through the crowd, it somehow fell out. When I noticed, it was too late, the crowd was dispersing, and there was no shawl to be seen. Someone had picked it up!

Since I liked the pattern, I remade it, for me this time! :c9

I've been very lucky so far (knock on wood!) that none of my items have ended up unraveled, damaged, or destroyed. At least not to my knowledge! :lol

The worst that has happened so far - and this really is heartbreaking to me - is that items I've given to people have been packed away and never used. My grandmother labeled and packed everything I ever made her in a special drawer (with all the other pretty things other people had made her!) and continued to use the same old ratty dishrags and pillowcases. It was sweet of her that she thought the things I'd made were that special, but I don't believe in saving things for special occasions. I wish she had used them.

It also broke my heart on our last visit to my in-laws to find the dish cloths I'd made crammed in the back of the towel drawer in the kitchen, never used, and the shawl I'd made my MIL buried at the bottom of a tote of bed linens for the king-sized bed they no longer had, so it had been there a while (she emptied out the tote while we were there for us to take some stuff home in). They use the no-sew fleece blanket I made them on an almost daily basis, but never the crochet stuff. I know once you give a gift, it's out of your hands what the recipients do with it, but I sure wish they'd use it! Maybe I should try making them an afghan...

yea my mom begged and begged me to make her a afghan after i compleated my first ever afghan.. so i went out and got the yarn she choose.. she's only used the thing two times since i made it for her 5 or 6 yrs ago.

It wasn't a project, but my %#$@ cat got into my stash and started playing with it...I couldn't find him so I go looking for him...I find him in my bedroom...and lets just say my stash was E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E.!. I screamed BLOODY MURDER!:yell He looks at me like "OH CRAP!!!...I'M IN TROUBLE! RUN!!":scared TAKES OFF RUNNING LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELLO! I had to throw most of my yarn away! :bang:thair:bang:thair

-Baylee

well, i was working on an afghan for a gift, had it in a clear plastic bag that came with a blanket i bought and i kept having to shoo my cat away from the bag, i have no idea why he picked that project to want . . . well, one day i left it out, it was in the bag, but near the couch, as i was working on it on and off, and that darn cat decide to pee in it!! He is older and fully potty trained, and it was new yarn, no other cat or animal had been near it. Boy i was mad! i caught him in the act and was able to wash it right away, but I started over, i couldn't gift it after that, ya know? I still have that 4 foot long about 5-6 ft wide swatch of blanket haha

Two years ago, my youngest DD's best friend got her a kitten for her birthday. :eek

At that time, I was working on a Cathedral Window afghan for my DH for a Christmas present. I worked on it when DH wasn't around. I kept it hidden away in a box in my eldest DD's room.

Kitty found it, and thought it was a litter box. :yell

Not a crocheted item, but a knitted one, and equally precious to me. I was in John Lewis, Oxford Street ( London), and it was hot and stuffy inside the store, so I put my cardigan and scarf inside my bag. Together, they were too bulky for me to do up the zip. After a long time admiring yarns and patterns, I realised neither were in my bag, but thought they had fallen out. I reported it to their Lost and Found, and called up a day later. It was only when they said no one had turned them in that I realised that I was the victim of a thief.

It was a five-foot long scarf with reversible cables, which had taken me months to knit. I still can't believe that someone in a first-world country would steal a third-world cardigan and scarf.

About 3 years ago, I accompanied my husband on a road trip from Arkansas to Central Michigan. Since a colleague of mine was expecting her first baby, I decided my traveling project would be a baby afghan for the new arrival. After digging in my stash, I found 2 skeins of RHSS in mint green. Now, I realized that I would likely not have enough yarn to finish the entire project, but counted on the fact that while driving so far across the country I could probably get some more at a Hobby Lobby/Michael's/JoAnn's, so didn't worry about it. It seems that Coats& Clark had decided to discontinue that particular color as I couldn't find even one skein ANYWHERE! Now, we were camping our way up and back to Michigan and were letting the dogs sleep in the truck. The last day on the road, my husband got up in the morning to walk the dogs, and I heard him say "Uh Oh.." It seems one of the dogs had THROWN UP in my crochet bag! Ugh! I threw the whole mess in the back of the truck until I could clean it up at home. One of the dogs still uses this swatch of blanket, cause I decided a force larger than I was telling me that I was not meant to finish it! :(

i don't know what may have happened in the end, but after giving someone 2 doilies as a wedding present, I received a thank you card that said something like this: thanks for the doilies, our cats love playing with them.:(

I started a doily with a lovely rose colored thread. I did not keep the wrapper as it said there was more than enough on the ball to do the doily. Well as you can imagine I ran out of thread and can not match the color to save my life. I can't even remember the brand!! I still have it and will probably frog part and add another color but I was just sick!!

This happened to my mom's project, but I helped. She had made my brother's family a giant granny square afghan about six feet wide in three alternating colors. It took her months to complete. Then their dog found it and chewed a couple of holes about halfway between the center and the edge.

"Mom, can you fix this?" She could tell he felt bad about the damage and about bringing it to her to repair. She didn't have the heart to frog it, so I did it. She reused the yarn that was OK, and was able to buy more to redo the whole afghan, but she sure wasn't happy.

Brother provided labor to remodel her bathroom, so I guess they're even.

I am VERY protective of my projects LOL I put them up high and make sure my dogs can't get to them or my kids. BUT When my son was a baby I made him a pretty blanket. It was actually my first one. I accidently left it with my sister and they were moving. Her husband threw it away!!! I cried for days! It was such a nice blanket. I think that's why I'm so protective now. I don't want anyone throwing my stuff away!

Archived