Wash before giving?

Excuse me if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find it through a quick search....

How many of you wash your washable works before gifting them?

I never have and wonder if that's a faux pas on my gift giving part? :shrug

I am considering a wash for my current WIP, just for added softness' sake (Double strand Bernat Satin RR) but was wondering if it might come out looking 'used'... :think

I always wash (on gentle cycle) and block mine before giving. The reason I do it is because I have cats in my home and I know that there are those that are allergic to cats. I block it in a room where it is a cat free zone, and immediatly put them in some type of bag to keep them as free from allegrins as I can. So far, no one has complained.

I always wash. There are smokers in my house so I wash and then seal in a plastic bag and put it in a room where smoking is not allowed. I also have 2 lap dogs who sit in my lap while I am crocheting. Gentle cycle and low heat to dry for most things.

For the most part I don't wash before giving. When working on a project, I work directly from a plastic tote that is divided into sections (for different skeins) so that it doesn't hit the floor where there is always kitty fur!

Some people I know are sensitive to certain laundry detergents, so I just put in a note saying it hasn't been washed yet and include the washing directions.

If it is something that needs blocked (I only block things that need stiffened or shaped, like doilies or decoration items) I will wash and block it.

Jeanne, I always wash my crocheted gifts and make sure to include the label with the washing instructions. Yep, gentle cycle!

Me too! I've only had positive responses, saying how nice the items have smelled. I too have a cat and although I don't put my yarn on the carpet, cat hairs "float" and really can end up anywhere.

I wash! I have a dog and 2 cats so I really feel better if I do wash first. Besides, then I can see where all my ends are gonna pop out! :hook

When I make items for my son, myself, or my husband, I don't bother to wash. With my son, I'm gonna have to wash it after a couple of uses anyway! This is if the items are machine wash. If they're hand wash only, I do wash and block before wearing.

I don't wash. I can't use detergents with scents or colors because of my allergies. Fabric softener is completely out of the question. If its given to someone that doens't know how to wash yarn I give instructions though. I do warn people about my pets, even though none of them sit on my lap while I crochet, I won't allow it...not because of hair, but if one of the cats gets ahold of the yarn they'll be gone along with my project! :lol

:turtle:vheart

I always wash (I don't make anything that isn't machine washable). I use the dye-and-fragrance free detergent and dryer sheets all the time anyway, so odds are it's not going to aggravate anyone's allergies. I always include washing instructions because I've had a number of people be afraid to use things I've made them because "What if it gets dirty?!"

I like to wash everything before I give it away because I think it makes it softer and gives you a better feel for the drape of the item. Plus as someone else said, you see where your end pop out and need more weaving in or a trim. I don't have any pets or smokers in the house, but I just feel better giving something away all clean and pristine.

I always wash. I have two cats. Boo is white and his hair is everywhere. It also softens up the afghans and such. I always use machine washable yarn for gifts unless I KNOW the people will hand wash.

Thank you all for your insights! - I see that there really is no "right or wrong" here, but rather a matter of taste...and environment, floor-rolls, sensitivities, softening and end-weave tests...

My non-shedding pups aren't lap-dogs and DH smokes out on the stoop (and doesn't shed overly much ; ) . I'll decide what to do once I'm finished. The afghan is for my soon to be born great-nephew so if I do decide to wash it, I'll make sure to use non-scented products. The label (which I will include with the gift) calls for a cool delicate wash cycle and a low dry, just as you suggested.

Thank you all again for sharing your thoughts and ways. I really appreciate your 'care' instructions :hug

...not because of hair, but if one of the cats gets ahold of the yarn they'll be gone along with my project! :lol

:lol - I guard against a similar situation, Sue, but on a much, much smaller scale...My hand-tamed canary hen, Shady, when feeling rather 'nesty', will alight, taking whatever strand of yarn lays slack into her little beak and take off with it. The little feather-head has gotten clear across the room to the top of a lampshade with a length more than a time or few. Yarn lovin' pets, anyhow. ;) Here's my yarn-swiper:

post-29383-135897444915_thumb.jpg

I also wash items I give. I never used to until I realized that RHSS has some sort of sizing to it and once you wash it the crocheted item softens up, I have also found a fit difference in hats. What I thought was too large prior to washing felt just right after washing. I've also found things that I needed to correct after I washed. My SIL appreciates the washing instructions that I give her with the item.

Unscented laundry soap and fabric softener. Gentle cycle, low dryer.

I always wash. Even for newborn baby stuff. I just make sure they know I didn't use dreft. I use All free and clear anyway and dryer sheets. The yarns I use most (RH, Caron, even bernat baby boucles) I wash warm and dry with 2 sheets.

I always put an instruction card in with my ghans - just to wash, dry and off you go kinda thing. Who wants to have to worry so much about a blanket? Not me.

I try to always wash my stuff but for what seems like a completely different reason than everyone else. I'm so paranoid about everything coming unraveled that I wash everything to make sure it holds together.

I am the same way- you are not alone on that fear!!!

I always wash (on gentle cycle) and block mine before giving. The reason I do it is because I have cats in my home and I know that there are those that are allergic to cats. I block it in a room where it is a cat free zone, and immediatly put them in some type of bag to keep them as free from allegrins as I can. So far, no one has complained.

wht is blocking? and how do you do it:blush

I try to wash the stuff I give before, I am a smoker and I don't want it to stink. I use unscented laundry soap and fabric softner. If I don't get the item washed I let the person know and give washing instructions.

Archived