Edging (Crab Stitch?) and Handle Suggestions (Updated w/ FO

karenj

I am trying to make a felted messenger bag in catherine wheel stitch. Pre- felted WIP below (my made-up-as-I-go pattern - so a little wonky - hopefully mistakes get covered in felting)

3884382919_3297836501.jpg

I need to make a long handle that won't stretch but courdinates with the bag. Any suggestons?

Also, any ideas for an edging on the flap? I did a row of sc, but it still looks unfinished. I wonder if anyone has ever felted reverse sc, or crab stitch, edging?

Should look pretty cool when felted. I think crab stitch would be lost in felting--if you felt heavily, the stitches really just melt away. I think if you use the brown and maybe do another row of dc or hdc, for a stronger border, it might look good. You can make the handle with any stitch you want--once it's felted, it will not stretch. (Let me correct that--once it is felted and DRIED--wet wool still has some stretch.)

:cheerWork you strap in long rows rather than short and stitch some firm ribbon, the length you want the strap to stay, onto the back of the strap, even use the sewing machine if you can.

Working on the length rather than in short rows is less likely to stretch anyway but the ribbom will give it added support.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks for the tips! I was stuck on coming up with a pattern for the handle that incorporated all three colors, but I think I'm just going to go with simple brown with a buckle - since I found more of the right dye lot. I will post the completed project when I'm done!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished! I felted it twice in the front loader and shaped it over a telephone book inside a plastic bag. The front flap ended up too long, so I cut it off at the first repeat to shorten it and needle-felted a little of the brown yarn to beef up the edge. Lined and ready for Christmas for my 17 year old niece.

4179225279_0df79bca25_m.jpgp><p><a href=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4179226701_2f7d9f24ea_m.jpg' alt='4179226701_2f7d9f24ea_m.jpg'>

Thanks to all for the advice.

You can always use some heavy fishing line in the strap. I use 20 pound test. Yes - 20 not 2. If you've ever lifted my Mother's purse you'd know why I went with such high test. You can crochet over it. I do not suggest trying to crochet with it - it's too stiff.

If you want to add it after use a needle and run it thru the strap, the bag, back up the strap and secure both ends in the bag itself.

• 4 weeks later...
That's beautiful, i love the colours! How did you do the lining? I never know how to attach it and it always takes me ages to do.

I just hand stitch it around the top edge. It is not too hard if you take the time to make small stitches - the felted wool hides the thead pretty well.

Thanks for looking! My niece loved it - her thank you note (don't you love that!) callld me an "artist"!

Archived