Why did you start crocheting

My crochet history is filled with starts and stops. I first learned at age 11 from one of the lunch ladies at the catholic school i attended when she started a crochet club aftewr school. Then i just stopped when school let out. Fast forward to high school...my favorite aunt was having a baby...i picked up hook and yarn next to my mom with her learn to crochet book and made a small baby blanket..then my parents split up and high school ramped up with my move out of state and starting a new school i stopped again...fast forward to my early 20's i am newly married to the man who becam abusive and controlling ...i had not a lot of money to buy baby things when i became pregnant with our first...so hook and yarn and learn to crochet book and voila Melissa's first blanket. But children and dealing with trying to get out of the abusive marriage got in the way and it was not until i was out and trying to be a single mom that i realised that crochet would help calm me down, relax me and give me something productive to do with my hands rather than eat. So out came the same lear to crochet book, for a refresher, yarn and a copy of Alene's Creative living magazine witha reversible afghan on the cover...that afghanis still on my son's bed and i have never stopped crocheting since...I have made afghanas, doilies, babrbie clothes, created my own filet designs graphing by hand on graph paper and now with software. I have finally gotten my gague issues straightened out and made clothing for my daughter and my niece. Always my reason to crochet...keep my hands occupied so i do not over eat. Now it is my calming soothing time.

I was in 7th grade and my mom crocheted and knitted. I want to learn how to do both. My mom tried to teach me but she is left handed and I am right handed. She tried several times to teach me but I could not get it. So I sat down with and book and learned some from it. But the rest I taught myself.

My grandma taught me how to so a single chain back when I was... probably younger than ten years old. I would just one hook and this white yarn that had a silver thread in it, and just make really long chains. I remember I was so proud of myself when I made one long enough to go from the top floor of my house to the basement.

Between then and last fall, I tried to make other things, like a scarf, but it eventually got to a size that I couldn't hold it all in my hand, and it was really awkward. For some reason, I couldn't get past that and I gave it up.

My sophomore year of college during spring break, I didn't have anything to do cause most of my friends were gone, and I had to stay home and work all week. So I bought some yarn and got out my hooks and started making a blanket. I worked on that for a while, then gave it up.

Last fall, I decided again that I would try crocheting. I bought yarn that matched my coat and made a scarf that I really enjoy. I also finished that blanket from spring break. After that, I was hooked, and made a ton of christmas gifts that winter. Now I have no intention of giving it up again :-)

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was a child. I learned several types of needlework as I was growing up. I crocheted off and on through the years, but only used a pattern to make two projects. One was a pair of slippers and the other was a single granny square. Anything else I made had to be very simple.

About a year ago I determined that I was going to learn to read patterns better and that I was going to make a doily if it killed me. I made my first doily and I think I did pretty well. I'm still practicing reading patterns and improving my crochet skills. Any thing I have learned as an adult, I've learned by booklets or internet videos. I have recently started setting aside at least an hour during the evening for crochet as I watch tv. If I don't crochet almost daily, I find that projects are finished way too slowly. I've learned a lot here at the 'ville!

Well, I know I learned my first stitches from my mom when I was pretty small (I'm sure I pestered her until she showed me! :D ). Then, I didn't do anything with them! Until, the Blizzard of 1978. We lived in a fairly rural area in Michigan & didn't have power for 3-4 days. So, with mom's guidance, I made a vest during that time period. I was in the sixth grade, and really didn't do anymore crocheting after that.

Fast-forward to 1984. I had joined the Marines in June of 1983, gone to basic & my "A" school. I went to California in December & didn't know anyone! I don't remember exactly why I started looking, but I found a pattern for an afghan I thought was beautiful! That was the beginning of my official crochet "addiction"! There was no turning back after that! :hook

When I was a teenager (during the '60s) my girlfriend's grandmother (and maybe her mother also. Don't remember for sure.) taught my girlfriend and I embroidery. Later my girlfriend's mother tried to teach us how to knit. I could do one row of knit and one row of purl but could not figure out how to mix knit and purl stitches in the same row. My girlfriend's grandmother preferred to crochet instead but for some reason I did not want to learn how to crochet. Fast forward to the mid to late '70s my mother and oldest sister began to crochet after my mother retired from working. I decided I wanted to learn how to crochet so they taught me how. Here it is 2009 and I still love to crochet. My mother and sister both have passed away and I still miss my "crochet buddies" but am finding more "crochet buddies" here in Crochetville. Thanks for the question EeDeeBird as it has been fun reading everyone's answers.

It was winter of 1969/spring of 1970 and my paternal grandmother decided she was going to teach her daughters-in-law how to crochet. There were four of them, my mother and my three aunts. Three of them (my mother and two of my aunts) had no trouble learning, but the third aunt was left handed and it proved to be too difficult for a right handed person to teach a lefty to crochet, so she abandoned the idea of learning.

Shortly afterward, I decided that it looked like my mom, my aunts and my grandmother were having a great time sitting around my aunt's kitchen table drinking coffee and crocheting, so I decided to try it, too, except I think I scared them because I just picked up a hook and yarn and started crocheting without being taught. They didn't realize that I had been paying such close attention while my grandmother had been teaching them that I had learned it already without even realizing it. From then on, though, whenever they got together to crochet, I crocheted with them, and finally my cousin, who was a couple of years younger than I, decided she would join us.

We'd get together at least two or three nights a week at my aunt's house to crochet, we had a ball together! We always met at my one aunt's house because my grandmother lived with her and my uncle, so it seemed only natural to meet there so that my grandmother could join in without having to pack up all her stuff to drag it around from house to house. We were younger, it wasn't such a big deal to us.

As of now, of the crochet group, only one of my aunts, my cousin and I are still living. Some of my happiest memories are of the group of us sitting around my aunt's kitchen table crocheting, laughing and talking. Every time I pick up my hook my mind travels back to those days, and while there are times when I become very melancholy, missing everyone so very much, for the most part there are many smiles as I remember how much fun we all had. I'm so very glad that I bothered to learn how to crochet way back when, because it enables me to travel back in time whenever I want to, to those happy days when we would all sit and crochet, laugh and talk together. :manyheart

I come from a long line of very crafty women. My great-grandmother crocheted two beautiful bedspreads as well as creating edging for a luncheon set of linens. Ever since I was a child, I was fascinated by the handmade things from previous generations, and was always wanting to learn. I can remember my father's mother helping me sew doll clothes when I was 10 and how much she would encourage me to be creative and to make things with my hands.

My mother taught me to knit when I was 10, and I made a small blanket for one of my dolls. Meanwhile the lady at my daycare was in the middle of crocheting an afghan for one of her sons, and I was so fascinated by it, especially the popcorn stitches. When I was 12, a friend's mother finally showed me how to crochet and I have been crocheting ever since. Recently, I took knitting back up again and have become equally obsessed with it.

I would say that it was an innate want to learn to do these things, and I think it was innate because being crafty was what the women in my family did. It is so wonderful to see these things that have been made and have survived being passed down through the family. I even have my great-grandmother's ivory crochet hook as well as her steel hooks. Every time I crochet or knit, it is as though I am connected to all of those women who came before me, and I am very proud to carry on their traditions.

I’m retired with disabilities, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still do many things. I had been casting around for something I could do while watching TV that might be productive. With the advent of the digital changeover our PBS station added the “Create” channel to its line up. One of the shows was “Knit and Crochet Today”. I was intrigued. On one of the episodes they mentioned the fact that crochet was faster than knitting. I found a great lady to teach me and I was hooked!

John Hablinski- Corpus Christi, Texas USA

I started croching in high school when I had to fill an elective and on a whim took the new arts and crafts class my school was offering. I had always been artsy, having sketched and painted, and always loved doing anything with my hands, but never, ever, had even thought of crochet until I took this class. We were able to choose what kind of project to make for the quarter, so I chose crochet, something I could easily take with me and work on at home too. My first project was a ripple afghan done in burnt orange, gold, brown, (you know, typical 70's colors!) So I bought a book and went after it. I was "hooked" immediatley! I received an A and proudly presented it to my Mother for Christmas. That was 30 years ago and my Mom still has it! When I look at it now, I see so many mistakes and what was I thinking with those colors!!!:think My family came to expect something crocheted for every birthday or holiday since then. About 10 years ago I took up thread crochet and making doilies has become my passion. I have taught my sister the art of crochet and now she is crazy about it as well, and she is now teaching her daughter-in-law to be. I am proud to have shared my love of crochet and see it passed on. And as long as the Lord sees fit, I will continue to crochet as long as I'm able. :yay

My Great-grandmother "Grammy" crocheted pineapple doilies all the time. My Mom still has alot of the ones she made. They are slowly starting to take their toll and need repairing. I help my Mom with the repairs. Sadly enough, my Gram wouldn't show me how to crochet. She kept saying I was too young. I'm sure she is up in heaven saying, "Why didn't I take the time to teach her?" About 24 years ago, a my boss, Jennine, showed me how to make granny squares. I think I made about 5 of them and got bored and stopped crocheting. Then in 1989, I was going through a divorce and moved home with my parents. I spent time by myself and started to cross stitch. Then I picked up a ball of crochet thread and attempted to make doilies. I've been "hooked" ever since. In 1989, I also quit smoking. Crocheting is a great way to quit. I think I crocheted myself around the world about three times that first year. In traffic, I crocheted at stop signs, stop lights, traffic jams, etc. I crocheted if we went out to eat. I kept it under the table on my lap and would crochet. I am the type of person that needs to show something for my time. I can't just sit there and do nothing. I'm not much of a reader except for helping my son out with homework and that type of stuff. But to sit a read a book, I would rather spend my hour crocheting and making something to see at the end. I always did like to make something. I stopped crocheting after I had my son....NO TIME....he kept me busy with feeding every two hours the first couple of months. He came 6 weeks early and he weighed 4 lbs. 14 oz. when we brought him home. Up until he was three he had infantile asthma, ear infections every 6-8 weeks and crouped alot. He kept me busy while also holding a full-time job. I didn't have much time. Now that he's going into 6th grade, I'm finally crocheting again. Hopefully I can get some of my weight off too at the same time.

While I was home with my parents, I bought crochet magazines, books cross stitch books. I have enough things to keep me going the rest of my life.

When my Dad's mother passed away and after I had moved home, my Mom and Dad gave me this big box filled with pieces of material. My Grandmother use to quilt. In this box was a complet top part of a quilt. All I needed to do is buy the batting and the bottom sheet and quilt it. Well, I got the stuff, put it together and I know have it on a quilting hoop. I started it, but my son came along in the meantime too. That took a back seat. I will get back to it. It's one of those memory things. I think I will get back to that this winter when it's cold out. The only thing is ever since I turned 40 and I'm only 1 year and 4 months away from 50 and the bifocal's get in the way, the taking off and on the glasses to thread the needle. I have a real hard time seeing. But, I know I will get it done.

I did take a stab and knitting once. I took a class. I started learning to knit with a sweater. What an ordeal. I then made another sweater. Both sweaters were too big. I needed to cut and sew it together. I never picked it up since. But, I will one day.

Thanks for the great question. I really liked reading everyones trials and tribulations, adventures and means of getting started. Yes, crocheting is a great stress reliever. Hats off to everyone and their accomplishments. Thank you.

I started crocheting after my divorce. I moved in with my mom and worked 3-11 shifts. My kids were young at the time. Before I went to work I would sit and watch tv and my mom make the most beautiful crochet things, while the kids napped...etc. I had the basic knowledge, so I asked my mom to teach me. I was bored and wanted something to do. 8 years later I cannot stop! LOL!

I am the type of person who can not have my hands still. I tried cross stitch which is way to slow as in progress for me. So I thought that crochet would be great to do while watching TV and it is pretty much instant gratification compared to cross stitch. Also if my hands are busy I don't want to eat.

I was a new bride, probably in '73, and visiting a former college roommate. Bonnie's mother had just learned how to crochet a granny square and I remember Bonnie, her sisters and I sitting around while her mother (a new crocheter herself) teaching us what she knew. I believe I was the only one of the group that day who went on to really learn to crochet. It was so fun and intriguing. Although money was tight for us I bought a single magazine with patterns and "how-to-crochet" directions in it.

I just like handcrafts. Period.

When I was five, we visited my grandparents frequently. I would wake up very early in the morning and find my grandmother in her recliner crocheting beautiful things. We never spoke much, but she handed me a hook and some scrap yarn. I learned from watching, and it was not until I was twenty something that I learned to read patterns. I will never forget those mornings spent with my grandmother before everyone else was awake.:manyheart

I use to watch my mom make doilies tableclothes and bedspreads and even crochet hankies edging's she was a pro at it beautiful work but she used the crochet thread and as a kid it look too hard and she also made all our sweaters gloves or hats for us kids. Then when I was in school at age 9 a very special teacher said she would be teaching needlearts in the class for everyone. Boys could learn how to weave plastic strips into key chains and girls could learn crochet or knitting. I choosed crochet and since it was yarn I was using it made it more enjoyable and I was so proud to learn I was so proud to show my mom and she was so happy I was learning. Now that I am at this age of my life I crochet most everyday and each time I do I think of the special teacher who taught me and most of all my mom who taught me even more about crochet and knitting. I am blessed that I had a great mom who had the patience and love with me and a special teacher who cared so much for the kids in our class. God Bless them.

Grandma taught my sister and I in an attempt to keep us from fighting, at first we used the hooks as swords until she challenged us to outdo each other on making things....

I learned how to crochet when I was 12 to help with my A.D.D. I took myself off of the medicine I was on and needed to find something to control it. My grandmother taught me and now 11 years later, I crochet every single day!!!

I was very sick and was told I could no longer work while I waited on my liver transplant. I wanted something I could do to keep me busy and help with Christmas that year. So I taught myself how to use the Q hook and made 9 afghans before I couldn't crochet anymore while waiting on my liver.

I have now been crocheting 17 years. Still can't do advanced stuff but I do enjoy it.

I was 9 attending a Catholic school. They brought people in from outside to give us extra classes. One was crochet- the teacher said because I am left handed I would never learn - I was devistated. My friend said I'll teach you how - and 41 years later here I am...... The irony is I am now teaching my 9 year old right handed niece how to crochet (with some help of course).:crocheting

i lived with my grandmother at age 11 and she was making a granny square blanket. i still remember being drawn to all those piles of squares...she had a made a color chart and everything. i drove that woman nuts until she took me to the store and let me pick out 2 skeins of yard..pink and white and purple and white...got a g susan bates hook and away she went . i could only do the granny square for years and then started learning to read patterns on my own. now crocheting is an addiction and i have yarn everywhere. but it could be worse...and by the way i didnt realize until 20 years later she taught me to crochet right handed and i am a lefty...oh well if you want to learn anything bad enough nothing will stand in your way. crocheting is my stress relief. it is hard to think i have been crocheting for 38 years. most consistant thing in my life almost.

Back in 89 my husband was laid off and my brother in law worked 2nd shift and they were into Super Mario Bros. so we spent alot of time there and I was pregnant and my sister was into crocheting and being bored one day I told her to teach me a granny square, Thank God she was a lefty too! and then I saw all the neat things to make not just granny squares and I have been Hooked ever since! What was really funny is I went way past what my sister could do (cause she had a hard time reading patterns) and she would call me and ask how to do patterns. I just can't give up on a pattern I will keep frogging and frogging until I get it right. Sometimes if I can't figure out a pattern I have went to sleep thinking about it and figured it out in my sleep! I always wondered if my hands moved like I was crocheting in my sleep? Would have been funny.

It's been wonderful to ready the replies to this post!

I started because of my Grandma Rose. I used to watch her make the most beautiful doiles. It was like watching a snowflake come to life. I don't remember her making anything but doilies until later in life when she learned how to knit a simple slipper.

She tried and tried to teach me when I was quite young, but I just never could get the hang of it. Then when I got to be a pre-teen I found a book with "Barbie" clothes in it and I wanted to make them. This book also had "how to crochet" instruction and for some reason they were so easy to follow .. and I have been "hooking" ever since.

Grandma and I never got to share much of our love of crochet, because we moved away from her about the time I got into it. When we did visit and later when she had to live with my folks we had some time to share. Now I wished that time would have been more!

So now I pass on my crocheting to my granddaughter and others who want to learn!

Dakotarose

Archived