History of Crochet

I was just wondering if anyone knows who acutally invented crochet and when it was invented. I am curious and found not much information on Wikipedia. So I was hoping someone on here might have more information on the beginning of the history of crochet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows who acutally invented crochet and when it was invented. I am curious and found not much information on Wikipedia. So I was hoping someone on here might have more information on the beginning of the history of crochet.

Take what you read on wikipedia with a grain of salt. ANYONE can write an article and post it on wikipedia. The article may not stay long but still be seen my many people before it is pulled, and an uneducated person can post an article on atomic energy or the history of crochet.

You're absolutely right, Boksie. None of that conjecture is true. Crochet was invented in the "Cro" magnon era by a cave dweller who was tired of being gonked on the head with a club and dragged by her hair to the cave. So she gathered up some vines, found a hooked T-rex bone made a soft cozy for the club.

And you can take THAT to the bank!

I know. I was there.

Oh and I forgot.... the cave dweller's name was Shay. She got that from her club swinging mate who'd come home from a night out with the boys, and say "Shay, git that fahr goin and gimme shum food, fore ah gonk yew wif dis gonker!" and so on.

So the name came together from Cro, the era, and Shay, the inventor... Croshay.

yup that's how it all happened

Glad you brought that up! Dippy (Diplohookticus Jimbosei) is in training for an attempt at a Guinness Book World Record! Fit or not, he'll be appearing in Portland Oregon this coming Halloween for an event where he'll perform to complete his world record status. More on this as dates and places get confirmed. But what else is totally cool is that he'll be performing with Rockpool Candy, an internationally accomplished crochet artist from Northern Ireland who is coming to Portland JUST for this event!!!

And to answer your question...there is evidence that Dippy WAS in fact used by Shay, palentologists have discovered what they think are the remains of a Stegasaurus shawl that had some pretty open stitching. We'll know more come Halloween when Dippy will be making a comback.

Here's a Youtube video of Rockpool getting ready (without Dippy, unfortunately)

Its REAL and she's coming to Portland!!

bytheway, we have an actual crochet historian here in the Ville, and no doubt she'll catch this thread and enlighten us for real.

OMG!!!! Jimbo, is it any wonder that we all love you? Please consider writing a book.....maybe just chapters on your blog? You always share so much, and I want to thank you..Please thank your lovely wife for sharing you with us!

heh.... well it just might be possible that the true art of crochet began up on the crick. That's where Dippy was discovered. I just naturally figured he was from pre-historic times.. but it might also be that he fell from Ms. Bunyan's apron while she was chasing the Blue Ewe. Pretty much conjecture, really.

But I'd bet the Hooklady could straighten us out.

Oh and Lolly, you might shouldn't encourage me.

Archived