8-pocket carryall tote

dlfoxy1

Hi everyone!

I've just completed the 8-pocket carryall tote the is a free pattern offered by Lion Brand. This is the web-site:

HPIM2297.JPG

It took me two weeks to complete it. I also lined the tote along with placing a Pellon Peltex 70 stabilizer in the front and the back panels. The pattern did not call to line it but I'm most likely going to use it has a handbag. I like big bags. My son picked out the lining for the bag. I pulled several different types of material out and he chose this one. It has little American Flags throughout the material. I am definitely keeping this item for myself. I don't do that too often but I am with this. I've only made one other thing that I had to put together like this and that was a doll. I hope you like the tote.

post-30955-135897443352_thumb.jpg

post-30955-135897443361_thumb.jpg

post-30955-135897443365_thumb.jpg

post-30955-135897443369_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. I chose the neutral colors so that I can use it with just about anything. I am working on putting a zipper in it. I attach a photo of that when I'm done with that part. I really like it alot. It is the first tote/bag that I've ever made. It is all done by hand. I don't have a sewing machine so the lining was also sewn by hand. The zipper will also be attached by hand.

Again, thanks everyone.

Hi Deb!

In answer to the lining, I just picked a material that I liked, it's just cotton. I used the same measurements of each main panel and gussett and added about a 1/2 inch to an inch to all sides. I then double folded the ends to help ease on the fraying if you plan on washing it. You would usually do a loose stitch around the material on the sewing machine but since it was by hand, I cheated and just double folded the material and sewed it together just once. The idea was to sort of make the bag without the pockets. I used a stablizer and attached a piece, sewed it, to the front and back panel cutting it the same size as the panels. I then inserted the lining and hand sewed it around the top of the bag.

I am crocheting and will be attaching two 1-1/2" deep strips, following the same pattern and size and length as the front and back panels. The 1-1/2" strips come out to 4 crocheted pattern rows and I finish the one edge with a single crochet all the way across (this is the edge that the zipper will go along). I'm hoping it will work. I have one strip done, will work on the other strip tonight and hopefully attached them and the zipper to the bag tonight also. Cross your fingers.

Doreen, What a pretty bag. Very nice job! I have most of the pieces made but, that's as far as I got. I just do not like piece work.:think:think:think

What a wonderful tote, Doreen! I love the style and the color you chose, so classic. The lining you and your son picked out is a perfect choice and a perfect finish to your project. I can certainly understand why you want to keep it for your very own! Very nice work! :yes

Archived