Autumn's in the bag

jeannej

I love the colors and the shape of this bag. However, I can't figure out how you made the flap. I can't get my stitches to go into the same shape. Did you make the flap separate then sew it on? I can't figure out the small chain you mentioned you worked from. Where did the small chain come from? How many chains did you start with?

Thank you! I pm'd you with the details, but thought I'd briefly reply here as well, in case anyone else wondered how I did it. In hindsight, it might have been wiser to make the flap separately and then sew it on, but as I have a tendency to go around the block to get next door, I worked the flap perpendicular to the top of the back/gusset panel instead.

I attached my yarn to the center of that last row (base row) and crochet a short chain (5, as I recall) and finished off. I reattached my yarn with a sl st in the stitch to the immediate right of the previously anchored chain-5, and proceeded to sc up one side of the chain, around its end (w/increases for a flat lie), and down its other side. Securing with a sl st in the base-row stitch to the immediate left of the chain before turning and working back up and around in the opposite direction -continuing back and forth in that horseshoe shape.

Hope this helps. :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to stop back and look at your bag again! I haven't yet gotten the time to sit with the instructions you wrote out for me, probably won't get too much time between now and Christmas so I think it's best that I shoot for the first of the year and then if the time happens before then it will be a nice surprise! :lol No matter. I get my "fix" just by stopping by this thread and looking at the photo of your bag! :manyheart

I had to stop back and look at your bag again! I haven't yet gotten the time to sit with the instructions you wrote out for me, probably won't get too much time between now and Christmas so I think it's best that I shoot for the first of the year and then if the time happens before then it will be a nice surprise! :lol No matter. I get my "fix" just by stopping by this thread and looking at the photo of your bag! :manyheart

You are too kind, Elle. :hug

Oh Wow!! This is SUPER!!!:clap

Great style/stitch! Did u use a pattern?

Thank you, Regee -It was a fun project!

I didn't use a pattern, although I did borrow an element from another purse's pattern where the gusset and the shoulder strap are one continuous strip (from Caron's Chakra Purse).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I love this purse! Is it your design? I would love to purchase the pattern if it is available.

Thank you Wanajo. :) I am lacking when it comes to pattern-writing skills, however, I do have my "notes" that I can share. I'll pm you.

• 11 months later...

I am giving this one a bump because I think it is one of the prettiest purses I've seen. I haven't gotten around to makeing mine yet but I am looking for just the right yarn. It is gorgeous.

Archived