Sally's Bread Cloth

HomekeepingGran

My friend Sally is moving over 500 miles away and I wanted to give her something handmade. This is a flour sack bread cloth or towel from the American Chair Store which I embroidered. The design is straight from Mary Corbet's blog, Needle 'n Thread, and is the free pattern she offered this spring for an Easter breadcloth. (Search April if you want a copy of the design.) In the first picture you can see one of Sally's cups which I asked to borrow to check my colors. My colors are not an exact match but still, I am pleased. All threads are DMC cotton embroidery thread.

(The poor cup never made it home in one piece. After I finished with it I carefully wrapped it and bagged it in a heavy paper sack. Her husband dropped it on the concrete and smashed it to bits. So glad I wasn't the one who broke it!)

post-11235-13589744274_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897442755_thumb.jpg

post-11235-13589744276_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897442761_thumb.jpg

Thank you, everyone! Now I am wishing I had a really smashing Autumn pattern to start a bread cloth for me. I love to decorate for fall (tomorrow is Sept. 1 — my personal decoration day) and I will pull out my fall dinner napkins and salt and pepper shakers and put away the summer ones.

[Aside: some years ago we bought plain white dishes and I change out my cloth homemade/handmade dinner napkins for the seasons. It's a cheap way to totally change the looks of a table!]

Your embroidery is just beautiful! I am sure that your friend will love her bread cloth. I envy you your patience...I am afraid I am not very patient when it comes to embroidery. Yours is really gorgeous.

I can "do" cross stitch but don't particularly enjoy it. I dislike counting all the little squares although I have finished a few small pieces of it. I keep seeing pretty cross stitch patterns for fall but not what I am looking for, which is surface embroidery. I sort of started a design of my own but it isn't finished and I am not convinced it's good enough, if you know what I mean, plus I think the motifs are not sized correctly to each other although that could be changed. Actually, I'm considering doing another of these like Sally's and choosing different stitches used to practice something else and have a new look. Just not sure yet.

And now that I think about it I have a cross stitch booklet with a sunflower/fall theme. Maybe I could snag some ideas from it. :scrachin

Archived