Could anybody give me some tips?

RachelG

Question

(If you all want to wait until after the weekend to try to help, I don't blame you. :wink )

Anyway, the story goes: :read

I'm making a motif. (My own pattern). It is round so far, but I want to make it into a square. How do I go about doing that? :shrug

Here is something along the lines of what I'm talking about (although mine is lacier and in thread):

members.tripod.com/Gwenevere/smoke.html

I have the circle part and now I want a square around it. What I have right now on my current row I just finished is 8 ch-7 sp's...each ch-7 sp has 15 dc's in it. (I can change the amount of dc's to 14 or 16 or 17, no problem.)

Any ideas? :thinking1

Sorry I can't take a pic. :camera

Or....I can easily take off all of the dc's and just have 8 ch-7 spaces...any ideas about how to make that into a square? I can then go from there (after I have it a square shape) and make it the size I want.

I hope I haven't confused anybody!

Thanks,

Rachel

www.crochetpatterncentral.com

4 answers to this question

Now you want to start adding corners - make sure there are an even number of dc's on each side of your chosen 4 corners. Dc in each dc, with a (dc, ch1, dc) in the dc of each of your 4 corners or a (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in your chosen corners. Then continue with that to keep your corner shaping.

Hope this helps some!

So if you've got 8 ch-7 spaces, each of which has 15 DC in it, then you'll want each side to have 2 ch-7 spaces, or 30 DC on it. Like MommaChelle says, you'll just want to make sure you make corners.

I grabbed my Reader's Digest Guide to Needlework (love that book!) and looked up their general instructions for making squares. They say: "To continue, work evenly along each side, and put (2 dc, ch1, 2 dc) in the ch sp at each corner, increasing 16 sts on each round" (p. 370).

Hope this helps!

So if you've got 8 ch-7 spaces, each of which has 15 DC in it, then you'll want each side to have 2 ch-7 spaces, or 30 DC on it.

Or do (15 dc, ch 1 or ch 2, 15 dc) for your corners with the 15 dc on the sides. If you have 8 spaces, then you'll do 15 dc in ch 7 space, (15 dc, ch 2, 15 dc) in next ch 7 space (corner made), 15 dc in next ch 7 space...etc...

Archived