Kick Up Your Heels--SOCK CAL

Krakovianka

Shade your eyes!!!

This is the little pair of socks I made for my 5yo daughter. She loves the "rainbow" colors. I used up most of one 50g ball of sock yarn to make her pair--the advantage of little socks, which I make from my own "pattern." Next up is the second jade sock I need to finish, and then...I think I'm going to try the cable pattern Debbi was using with stretch sock yarn that I was gifted recently.

Those are great! Love the bright colors, especially for a cold, gray winter day!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen - I love the cobble stitch socks! Those are great. I joined the 'Ville too late to join in on the sponsored CAL, but watched all the pictures come in.

I'm on hold with my socks until I get the next part of the pattern on Friday. I'm working on more pressing issues right now anyway so that's okay with me.

Howdy gals! I wanted to post a picture of my socks so far. It hasn't taken as long as I thought it would. I figured making socks would take a long time since the hook and yarn is so thin.

:yay Nicole!!! Looking good!

I stayed away from socks because in the days I knitted, I was intimidated by all those needles. Then the crochet one's because I heard everyone say how hard heels were. Well, I LOVE making socks after my first pair. The next pair will be toe up socks with sock yarn. Waiting on a delivery for some sock yarn I ordered on sale before my finances tanked for the rest of the year. :lol

I started working on another pair of socks... :devil

Debbi, I wanted to make cable socks from that pattern you tried. I even have the Patons stretch sock yarn that it calls for, so I thought it would be perfect.

Boy, was I wrong. There is no way on the face on the planet that I can follow that pattern as it's written. So, I just paid attention to the part about the cables--how they are formed (because I've never made them)--and am making my own cable socks. I feel that I'm doomed to making all my own sock patterns now, because I want to make the toes and heels my way. I graphed out a (simpler) cable pattern, and lo and behold--it's working! I up to the point where I need to begin increasing on the foot, so I decided to stop here and make the second one to the this point. Without a written pattern, I think it will be MUCH better if I make them together, rather than repeating the fiasco I ended up with on my last two pairs!!!

I'm feeling that I really should try to write down, in an intelligible way, the instructions for making my socks. Otherwise, I'm going to forget. I'll go through a stretch where I don't make socks for months, and then when I want to, I'll discover that I can't remember what I did.

I'm mulling over an idea--I'll let you know soon.

In the mean time, here's where I am on the cable sock. I know the cables are a bit wonky, but I'm hoping by the time I finish these I'll have them looking neater--and they are for my 12yo daughter, so a few imperfections will be forgiven.

post-13065-135897446988_thumb.jpg

Karen, I for one would love it if you wrote down instructions as you go and then SHARED them :lol I love your socks. I have seen that cable pattern and was going to download it, now, don't think so. Don't need the frustration and being new at sock making, not sure I could adjust accordingly. I like what you're doing!

Karen, those are beautiful! Maybe I should do that too, make my own version of cable socks (or follow your pattern if you get it written).

I carry a little black notebook (Moleskine brand) with me and I have wrote down 3 sock patterns I've altered or made up since March. Otherwise I forget what I'm doing. Plus I took another color of pen and drew around the toe of one that fits perfectly so I can see what size of toe I need and use that as a guide.

Debbi

Hi there. This CAL looks so fun!

Thank you for sharing the links to sock patterns. I also have a neat sock pattern from a crochet magazine last year's summer. I always want to make several different types of socks, especially miniature socks as a wall hanging.

I will be in this CAL for a while as I have several pairs as WIMs. :P I will be back in this CAL later this year. I do have three projects I want to finish first.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest pair I finished Saturday:clap. I had one done and the second started so this is good.

I used Bernat Jacquards Baby Yarn, I think it's the "boys and girls" color yarn. I wanted some more socks with blue in them (I wear a lot of blue).

I used a size D hook.

I really didn't follow a pattern, I made up the foot and leg, doing one row of sc and one row of dc. I did a FPDC and BPDC for the ribbing on the cuff. Afterthought heel.

I didn't try to get the color scheme to match, figured it would be okay. And I like them. I wore them Saturday and love them.

Those look good, Debbie. I think socks are pretty forgiving when it comes to slight pattern variations, and so on.

I've kind of stalled on my cable socks. I'm making both socks at once, so instead of one-sock syndrome, I have two half-finished socks. :rolleyes Oh well. I will get them finished--I'm past all the hardest parts now. I got side-tracked by a complicated doily pattern and finishing up some little bits for my bookmark swap.

I finished my Toe up socks last night. I wore them to work today. They are so warm and comfy. It has gotten chilly here all of a sudden....well, chilly in comparison to the 85 degrees we had on Saturday. The high has been 64 degrees and windy.

Anywho, here they are!

post-28827-135897457095_thumb.jpg

post-28827-135897457098_thumb.jpg

I finished my Toe up socks last night. I wore them to work today. They are so warm and comfy. It has gotten chilly here all of a sudden....well, chilly in comparison to the 85 degrees we had on Saturday. The high has been 64 degrees and windy.

Anywho, here they are!

Very very pretty Nicole. They look warm & comfy. :yes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ONE SOCK DONE! Since I'd only done Toe Up (1 1/2 pr) before I decided to try going the other way and used the In Your Shoes Ankle Socks. Discovered Ishould have gone down a hook size for the ribbed cuff. It felt fine but the more I tried on the sock the looser it got. May tighten when I wash sock so will make the mate in the same manner. I have a very narrow heel and a very high arch so had to play around with the stitch count a bit. I did do one thing that I liked. At the bend of the ankle, instead of continually doing the single crochet, I did one row of half double crochet. Being a little looser stitch gives me more flexibility when I put the sock on and when I walk it doesn't bunch as much at the bend of my ankle. I'm using Heart and Sole in Watermelon Stripe. Not wild about how the colors are playing out but most of it will be in my clogs anyway. Think my next pair will be in a solid color. Will post a picture as soon as the second sock is completed.

Archived