I just don't get it...can someone please explain...

I made and sold a crocheted cheesecake. It started with the scraps of raspberry colored yarn I had. I thought Hmmm... Raspberry colored yarn, I'll make raspberries. So then i though what on earth will I do with these raspberries?...so I said Cheesecake! so I made a wedge that looked like cheesecake. Than I thought It needs a plate... so I made the plate.

Here's a picture. I do not have a pattern...It's off the cuff and I already sold it on Etsy.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/RaspberryCheesecakea.jpg

This could have been displayed with antique china. Or a prop on a play set, or a centerpiece,used as a pincushion, et.el.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may seem silly, but I want to make a crocheted ice cream cone, complete with sprinkles & a cherry on top, for a friend as a silly gift for Christmas. We're both on diets & complain/motivate each other. Hopefully she sees it as the joke that I do. Maybe I could somehow scent the ice cream......? Coffee flavor! She'd love it. :lol

The kids really love it! I am dying to buy a green eggs and ham pattern on etsy right now...to display in the library at our school during our Dr Suess week. Most children I know are amazed by crochet anything. I do also like the idea of displaying fruit and veggies in a bowl. Loved the idea of the cake on the cake stand also it would be too cute in my china cabinet. Other wise it's just plain fun....For me crocheting should be fun!:manyheart

I have this book of patterns for crocheted food. I think it has a pattern for green eggs & ham in it, but I can't find the book at the moment - that's the reason I'm repainting a set of bookshelves to put in my crafting area, so I have a sturdy place for all my pattern books, leaflets, printouts, etc. My books are too scattered. It's a great book though if you have a notion to make toy food. Even has a sushi pattern. lol

I think it is a great idea for kids to be able to play with something that is safe and also a neat decoration for kitchens. Besides look at this way if you hate veggies you don't have to eat it or worry about calories either.

Also, to me it's sort of like a doily (which I absolutely LOVE to make). Even though they serve no real purpose, like an afghan which keeps you warm, they are still pretty. Fruit (or other crocheted food) is the same: it's just cute.

My kids probably would've loved it if I'd have thought to crochet food for their kitchen when they were small. The youngest is 13, though, so I guess I'm too late for that. :lol

My only is 13 too. She was more interested in tool belts and tonka trucks than dolls and play kitchen. I guess that's my fault since I had her in the kitchen with me working on real stuff.

You're right tho - they are cute. You did an exellent job on your fruit.

No offense to anyone but are there really that many children who play with crocheted food. I have seen sooooo many patterns for food and not just small things for a toddler to play with - but full size Wedding Cakes?

Rose, I too am confused

TLOL,

Toni

I've come to look at all things crocheted as a form of artistic expression. Crocheted food is just more of the same. Remember those things that were real popular back in the 80s called "Frozen Moments"? They were VERY realistic food items, some using actual packaging that was found in grocery stores, made from lucite or something similar? They had cups of tea and coffee with real spoons sticking out of them, they had strawberries in a dish covered with whipped cream, they had beer being poured from an actual Budweiser bottle into a stein that looked frosted, and half the beer was in the stein attached to the bottle, six or so inches above the stein, by the flowing beer, they had TONS of things like these. I guess crocheted food is on a par with those. Not good for anything, but fun to make and/or display, and kids DO get a kick out of playing grocery or house or whatever with it. And kids at heart just like having it around, because you never know when someone might want to play grocery or house, and, of course, you want to be prepared! :)

Archived