I just don't get it...can someone please explain...

A third idea on why: Just to see if you can do it. It's a challenge trying to figure out how to make a certain food type look realistic in crochet, and as mentioned, these are small, so they are quick challenges.

I've not made any and I don't have children (although I appreciate the play food), but I can totally appreciate the reason of "Just because."

Me? I don't get the dishwasher liquid cosy, but hats off to all who enjoy making them.

Patty

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I am guilty of making crochet fruits and veggies. lol. I have a pretty bowl on a stand and fill it will the fruits and veggies. It actually looks nice.

I haven't made many crochet food items but I have a small display of sushi I made. It's one of my favorite foods so I thought it would be cute to display a little tray of it in crochet. :hook

So I can see also crocheting a favorite food for someone. I've thought of crocheting box of popcorn for one of my teenager because he loves to go to the movies.

I've also made a cupcake pin cushion.

Or crocheting an apple for your child to give to their teacher?

Fruits & veggies would make a great display for school cafeterias since the kids are learning about eating nutritional foods.

My mom had an expression (from her grandmother) for when any of us asked "What are you doing?" (especially if it was obvious like reading, making dinner etc)

"I'm Sewing Buttons on Ice Cream Cones!"

So I made an ice cream cone and sewed buttons on it and sent it to my sister just for a fun family in-joke.

I like crocheted food - never made any besides the ice cream - but, Tasty Crochet is on my Amazon wish list!!!.

My mom would have called it "A touch of Whimsy".

I'm not sure my kids or the daycare kids would play with the food, the tea sets, would be a hit, but in my house we have so much plastic food its scary and the kids love to make things out of play doh. I've eaten enough "pretend" food in my life and i still don't get why I gain weight.

I :crocheting food before. I made a "picnic afghan". Red and white squares with a border of green squares with flowers/lady bugs on them. I made sandwiches, a salad, a cherry pie, a plate of cookies, a fruit tray with grapes/watermelon slices, forks/spoons/knives to sew on it. I even made ants :lol. I think there were some crocheted wearables/accessories that were food items on the What Not To Crochet web site.

Ellie 13

I think the only reason I would ever want to make it would be for my niece to play with. She love's to pretend to to cook for us and she loves to pretend she is going to grocery store. Other than that I really don't get it either.

I thought that was the only purpose.

There are a lot of projects and patterns that don't peak my attention, just like there are recipes in all my cookbooks that some people would love but I think sound yukky.

Er...apparently I'm a crochet addict though, because now I'm on the hunt for a pattern or two for dog and cat toys thanks to this thread.

I have a problem with crocheted dog toys. Why on earth would anyone want to teach their dog that it's ok to eat crochet. I have way to much handmade around my house to even think about letting my dog chew on it.

Oh my goodness. My dogs LOVE the toys I make for them and they've never even once ate my yarn. I think they know what kind of consequences they would face if they did try to eat my yarn though. That's one thing NO BODY messes with in this house.

Julee

Well, I don't know that there's a "purpose" for crocheted food, but I like it. I really want to make a crocheted cake to display on the cake stand my sister bought me for a wedding present. I almost never use it, since I don't bake much, but I'd love to display it, and I think a crocheted cake would be fun and different. The hubby however thinks it would be cruel to display a cake you can't eat!:lol

...the purpose of crocheted food?

Art? :gallery

art 1 (ärt)n.1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

I guess it's just part of what makes the world of crochet go 'round, and one of the nice things about our craft, that while many pieces do serve a 'purpose', others are just pleasing to one's eye or imagination...besides what would all the amigurumi eat? :lol

• 1 month later...

I sort of feel this way about alot of crocheted items then I find myself crocheting those things somewhere down the line :lol If it can be crocheted people will make it.Some things I would think just take far too much time to crochet when you could buy them for alot less and the crocheted version isn't really as useable. I won't go into what things I'm thinking of because someone here is probably crocheting them now :lol I've crocheted some things I've realized later probaby were a waste of my time :lol

No offense to anyone but are there really that many children who play with crocheted food. I have seen sooooo many patterns for food and not just small things for a toddler to play with - but full size Wedding Cakes?

Rose, I too am confused

TLOL,

Toni

The reason I made a full size wedding cake is I was asked to. A bride wanted it to adorn her reception and she planned to donate it to the church drama department. That cake is still used today for dramas. It's used often in Sunday School for the story of Jesus turning water to wine at the wedding. I also make smaller wedding cakes for place markers at weddings.

I saw a pattern for a crocheted porkchop somewhere.

I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what I would do with a crocheted porkchop.

The only thing, on here so far, that I like the idea of was the cake to display the nice cakestand. Other than that, I don't think I want any fake food laying around of the crocheted kind.

I use to wonder the same about crochet food then, I made an apple for a doc/friend...as an apple a day to keep the doc away. The second purpose was to be used to squeeze on during prolo injections(ligament reconstruction).

I made this yummy looking swiss roll with whip cream and a cherry, mouth watering ornament for the Christmas tree. It's definately a tummy teaser when I see it.

I have to admit I haven't attempted crocheting any food shaped items but I also have to admit I rather like looking at them so that kind of puts them in the "art" category for me. I am amazed at all the imagination that so many fiber artists put into their work like crocheted "haunted houses", covers for rockes, sticks and trees, as well as crocheting cars, mannequins and ocean scenes. They are pretty interesting and often quite lovely but way outside my ability to do. So I am content to just look at what others have "thunk up" to do.

Archived