tryptikangel

Starch and/or alternatives?

Question

Some time ago I decided to be creative and make a decorative tea cup/saucer for a friend who is absolutely wild about tea. I modified a doily pattern for the saucer and cup design, did a simple "lace" handle and am now ready to put it all together. But, never having used starch or anything like that in crochet, I'm not sure where to begin with this project. Do I sew it all together first then try to shape it, or starch it/shape it then try to sew it together? And as for the starching, I want the cup to be stiff so you can maybe put potpourri or trinkets or something in, not to mention have that sturdy teacup look to it. I'm not sure what kind of starch to use, or what alternatives are available. I read somewhere you can use a sugar solution, but I'm not sure coating a project in liquid sugar is really the best thing to do. Any suggestions from the more experienced crocheters? Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

Can't help with assembly but I buy sitffy from the craft store and it's the best stuff for stiffening. Have done bows for baskets and even the cheese cloth ghosts and the stiffening stays. Maybe someone can comment if this would be good for your project. When we did the bows we dip the strips in first then created the bow so it would dry and be stiff, worked great. Mary!

Thanks for the suggestion! The website store locator says its available at several stores near me, so maybe I'll give that a try. My biggest concern with assembly is putting the handle on the cup. It's probably the most delicate aspect of this project, so I'm really not sure what to do about that part. But hopefully someone else here will have some ideas for me and I can finally get it all put together and post pics of the finished piece!

With the stiffy you would probablly have to siffen the cup first then dip the handle and and shape and attach maybe. I don't do thread crochet so hopefully someone knows better. I can only say that the stiffy stuff is good from experience. Mary

I would assemble the entire cup, including the handle, first. Then apply/dip in whatever you are going to use to stiffen: You will need to shape the cup over something( that something should be covered in plastic wrap/repurposed plastic bags) The handle can be shaped by putting plastic wrap/repurposed plastic bags in the space between the handle and the body of the cup.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely give it a try and let you all know how it turns out!

I would assemble the entire cup, including the handle, first. Then apply/dip in whatever you are going to use to stiffen: You will need to shape the cup over something( that something should be covered in plastic wrap/repurposed plastic bags) The handle can be shaped by putting plastic wrap/repurposed plastic bags in the space between the handle and the body of the cup.

if you use repurposed plastic bags with printing

or designs on them make sure you turn them inside

out so that the ink won't get on the item.

Yep, Stiffy. Clear varnish will also work, but Stiffy works better. When you get it just the way you want it and it's THOROUGHLY dry, give it a few coats of clear Krylon to help the Stiffy hold--otherwise, it gets a little soft in hot humid weather.

Thank you, Becky and boogiedu for the tips! I'll have to remember those when I start the stiffening process! :)