What yarn would you use?

aliassak

Question

I would like to make up the mohair cardigan jacket that can be found in the September issue of Crochet! magazine. It's the brown and tan one. The yarn that they listed can't be found locally, and I am not that fond of the colors they show either. What would be a good substitute for Berroco Furz yarn? I found Patons Divine locally, and wouldn't mind working with that, but I'm wondering if it's not "chunky" enough for this pattern... Any suggestions would be most welcome. I do plan on changing the pattern a bit, and using an eyelash yarn for the cuffs and collar.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I love that cardigan! I think it was the thing I was most excited about in the magazine. I'm not sure what you could use, except for the Patons Divine would not be the ideal thing for it. It's too light and airy. I used it for a shawl, and it was a beautiful shawl but very open.

Julie,

That's exactly what I was thinking, that it would be too light of a yarn for that pattern. Normally, I would just work up part of the pattern in my yarn of choice to see how it would work out, if it's not the yarn listed for the pattern. But, I'm afraid that if I did that, and it didn't work out, that I would tear the Divine apart when frogging the piece or end up with one giant mess of a knot and have to scrap all that beautiful yarn...

Archived