Prize Winning Afghan Pattern

SusanMarie1956

I found a pattern for an afghan late at night... it's just called " Prize Winning Afghan "

It turns out a missed part of pattern instructions.

has anyone herad of this? I can't find it.

I have to find out what you do with the long LOOPS after I'm done with the roes. I You some how cross the loops over each other. BUt how do you hold them togather?

Susan

Go to http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103427 i posted yesterday to see a picture. It's the solid colored ghan. When you are finished with all the rows of the afghan, you will be making a cable, pulling one chain 10 loop through the other all the way down. Go all the way down and secure with a hairpin at the bottom. When you do the border, you will stitch through the loop which will hold it in place. Hope this helps.

Kat

that pattern is the same but a border of maybe two rows of DC?

I would like to see a finish of the pattern posted at the other link. Anyone know where? The other pattern finishes different that the jacobs ladder it looks like to me or is it the same and just done different? Mary

Yes, that is it... This one..

PRIZE WINNING AFGHAN

Finished afghan is 60 X 64 inches including fringe. You will need 35 oz. of your color choice 4 ply yarn. I like the no-match stuff, just in case you need or what it longer. You will also need a size "I" crochet hook and 13 one inch safety pins. GAUGE 6 dcs equal 2 inches, 2 rows equal 1".

Note: Count ch 3 at end of each rows as 1 dc. In the last 2 rows ch 6, not 10 for lps.

ROW 1: Ch 253, dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next 9 chs, ch 10 sk 10 chs (this makes lp) *dc in next 10 ch, ch 10, sk 10 chs. Repeat from* until there are 13 groups of dcs and 12 lps, ch 3, turn.

ROW 2: Dc in next 9 dcs, ch 10, sk lp, *dc in next 10 dcs, ch 10, sk lp, repeat from *, ch 3, turn. Repeat rown 2 until there are 116 rows. Fasten off.

To finish lps: Start at bottom of afghan and with fingers pull first lp over 2nd lp, pull 2nd lp through, 2nd lp over 3rd, 3rd through, Repeat to end, fasten last 2 lps tog with safety pin. (Be sure all lps go in same direction.)

Fringe: Cut 10 inch lengths of yarn, fold in half. Knot one folded strand in each sc at top and bottom, trim fringe evenly.

Now what do I do with all of those loops? I don't understand it.

Susan

i think as you pull your loops through the next loop and so forth through the end they won't be "loops" anymore and then your fringe will go into that row... i could be wrong but that's what it seems like. there's been people who have done the jacob's ladder pattern - which is the same but without fringe that can probably answer better.

Here is what I have done so far.

i think as you pull your loops through the next loop and so forth through the end they won't be "loops" anymore and then your fringe will go into that row... i could be wrong but that's what it seems like. there's been people who have done the jacob's ladder pattern - which is the same but without fringe that can probably answer better.

Go to the link on post # 6. At the end of row 2 it describes how you link the loops together with your finger. Seems odd at first but goes quickly when you get the hang of it. You will need a safetypin for each section of chain to secure it at the top until you can stitch across it, so it doesn't unravel.

This is a very impressive looking pattern, especially if you make it in different color stripes.

OK, let me see if I can explain it to you. Starting at the bottom, take the first ch 10 and fold it in half so there is a loop. Take you finger, going through that loop, grab the chains above it and pull those chains through the loop. That draws the first loop closed and gives you another loop to use for the next chains. I find it easier to do 5 or 6 rows, then move to the next set of chains. I use either a safety pin or hair pin to hold the rows closed. It is really easy when you get it, you are just going from bottom to top looping one set of chains to the set of chains above it. Hope this helps.

I love the Jacobs Ladder! I have made a few. I did not like the holes left behind after linking the "ladders", so I only chained 8 instead of 10. I draws up a little when you make only 8 but the edge looks scalloped.

I can't do a video, but maybe this will work to illustrate how to do the chains.

Since I couldn't get my finger in the scanner you are stuck with my artwork :P

The first loop is the 'hardest' because it doesn't look like a loop. After that one is made, the rest are a lot simpler/obvious.

post-13625-135897436777_thumb.jpg

Put your index finger under the bottom loop (I'll call it loop 1) and over the next loop (loop 2) as shown. With the tip of your finger (and your thumb), pull loop 1 down behind loop 2 and back around to the front, closing the gap by pulling loop 2 up and the bottom of loop 1 down.

Now you are 'done' with the original loop 1, and should be holding onto the original loop 2. It should be looking like an upside down U at this point. Now it gets easier because the piece is starting to draw together.

Sticking your index finger (and maybe thumb) under that loop, grab the next loop and simply pull it through and up, pulling gently to close the gap as before. Now you just keep repeating that last step (pull the next loop through and up) until you are done. It should look something like this

post-13625-135897436772_thumb.jpg

You will have a gap at the bottom, which will go away when you make a border around. I hope this helps you to visualize it!

Archived