CGOA Masters Program?

On mine there truly nothing on the size of swatch to do. The few that have any references are for the edgings and the say like a minimun of 3 inches long. So I am basing what they expect from that. I sure would hate to get this all done and then find out I missed out because my swatches where to large or to small, And you are not supposed to ask any questions of them.

I am not afraid of doing the swatches, just would be nice to know what size is expected from me.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reviewing this thread with a touch of envy - wish I could take this course but until $$ situation improves it's not gonna happen. But in reviewing, this comment bothered me a bit:

thats the sad thing about it.. it states that you can't ask them any questions regarding the course. ~sigh~

It was particularly disturbing to me in light of the several comments regarding lack of clarity in the instructions along with what sounds like exacting standards that seem to be expected. It makes it even worse when a situation like Kathy's crops up. Kathy, you said:

Part of my problem is they do not give what size the swatches are supposed to be. I am doing the Master of Fibers in Thread Course. I have reread that booklet so many times it's not funny and nowhere does it mention the size of the swatches except for an occasional special size for a special swatch of stitches.

But the average swatch? Not a clue. You would think they woud tell you either in inches or number of stitches.

and in another post, you said:

On mine there truly nothing on the size of swatch to do. The few that have any references are for the edgings and the say like a minimun of 3 inches long. So I am basing what they expect from that. I sure would hate to get this all done and then find out I missed out because my swatches where to large or to small, And you are not supposed to ask any questions of them.

It just seemed very unfair to me that they would say you couldn't ask any questions of them, so I decided to go see what information was provided on their website about all of this. The page with info on the Masters of Fiber in Thread lists out the types of stitches/swatches you are expected to complete and a general listing of the types of questions to be answered, but nothing else. There is much more information provided on the Masters in Basics page, and the last section appears to me to be comprehensive (ie applies to the Thread course too), though they honestly should have repeated it on the Thread page, not like it would have been that difficult to do (copy/paste). At any rate, on the Basics page toward the bottom, it states:

You are expected to work independently. Questions about individual swatches or questions will not be answered by the Education Committee or judges.

Should you have other questions about the course or Masters Program you may:

email Masters@crochet.org. Subject: Masters Program, Education Committee

Okay, I have placed extra emphasis on what I consider to be key words in this statement. Now, assuming that it doesn't say in your course materials that NO questions will be answered, I would take the above to mean that there should be no reason you can't ask them a question clarifying their requirements, such as asking if they have a minimum/maximum size requirement for all swatches where specifics were not given, wouldn't you think? I wouldn't take the "no questions about individual swatches" to cover a question like that, which is more of a general one. So I guess I'm saying it shouldn't hurt to ask rather than trying to guess what they are expecting from you and worrying whether or not you guessed correctly. At least that's what I would do in this situation. After all, proficiency in crochet shouldn't include skills in mind-reading!

Considering the incredibly beautiful work we've all seen from you here, Kathy, I honestly don't know what you have to be worried about anyway. In my mind it's a given that you'll pass with flying colors! Somehow we need to help you get that self-confidence level up where it belongs, next to your skills level! I don't always get to post a response to all your Show & Tell threads, but I still tend to gravitate to them for my "drool of the day"! :c9

Good luck to everyone who is working on this project! Maybe someday I'll be ready, both skills-wise and money-wise, to go for it too. :dreaming

I've been reviewing this thread with a touch of envy - wish I could take this course

Considering the incredibly beautiful work we've all seen from you here, Kathy, I honestly don't know what you have to be worried about anyway. In my mind it's a given that you'll pass with flying colors! Somehow we need to help you get that self-confidence level up where it belongs, next to your skills level! I don't always get to post a response to all your Show & Tell threads, but I still tend to gravitate to them for my "drool of the day"! :c9

Good luck to everyone who is working on this project! Maybe someday I'll be ready, both skills-wise and money-wise, to go for it too. :dreaming

Goldie:

That was the most beautiful, thoughtful response I've ever read here at Crochetville. You took time to research and think through the problem of someone else. You encouraged them and cheered us all on. I think you can consider that you have done your RAOK for the day! Thank you.

I didn't realize you are from Kenosha...I'm up in the Fox Cities.

Artemis

Thank You Goldi for taking the time and energy to persue this. :hug

I did email them and I am waiting for a response. Hopefully I will hear something shortly. :gotmail Will let everyone know what they say.

It was so kind of you to take the time to do this. I hope that you are shortly able to do this yourself. At least you will have a better idea what to expect. :hook

• 2 weeks later...
I got my masters in the today! :D So now, I can tell you all that its definitely do-able! Good Luck to you all!

Congrats!!! That is quite an accomplishment!

:clap Congratulations!!! :woo:jumpyay:nworthyThat is awesome!! How long did it take you? My friend is going to get her certification in tatting, but there's no time limit on how long she has to complete the assignments.

I think you owe yourself some scrumptious yarn to make something FOR YOU after this accomplishment! Patty

Three cheers for Robyn...

Hip, hip, hooray!

Hip, hip, hooray!

Hip, hip, hooray!

That is just too wonderful!!!!

I'm getting back to mine this week-end. Thanks for the inspiration.

:fame:jumpyay Woooohoooo! Congrats big time! We are so impressed.

Did they just send the certificate, or did they write a note or two about what was done right or wrong?

You go girl!

Thank you everyone! I was very proud to get it. It did actaully take me a year to complete, due to normal life events (like moving and starting a new job and such). And yes, they sent my by folders back about 2 weeks before I got my certificate. And with the certificate was a list of questions I missed and how many points were deducted. Good luck everyone!

• 2 months later...

well.. here i sit.. STILL waiting to hear ANYthing about my portfolio... I mailed it in 22February2006... I heard NOTHING until I got an email 13April2006 saying they were delayed and that it was finally being sent on to so-in-so to be judged.. I've wrote to CGOA twice now asking when i might actually hear something.. NO RESPONSE. I really dont believe it should take 5 MONTHS to get a response from someone.. the polite thing would be to respond with a two second short email letting me WHY its dragging on this long.. am I being unreasonable??

:think :think :think :think :think

My friend is doing the tatting certificate program, and I think she said it will take 6 months to find out if she passed. they send her samples to different people to be inspected, so you have to factor in travelt ime, etc. I don't think you should be worried about it taking too long yet. Patty

My friend is doing the tatting certificate program, and I think she said it will take 6 months to find out if she passed. they send her samples to different people to be inspected, so you have to factor in travelt ime, etc. I don't think you should be worried about it taking too long yet. Patty

I was told only one person would be judging it.. someone named Carol V. Moore.. she's had it for 3 months now...It was my impression that the judging wouldnt take very long. .. but beside that... they could at LEAST answer my emails.... dontcha think??

Myra...I just found this thread and started reading with interest. But your experience scared me off of the whole idea :no I can't see going through all that trouble and expense, just to sit and wait and wait and wait. What if your submission was lost? Would they even tell you?

Don't mind me....I'm probably just paranoid. But I know I wouldn't like the waiting game :rolleyes

Myra...I just found this thread and started reading with interest. But your experience scared me off of the whole idea :no I can't see going through all that trouble and expense, just to sit and wait and wait and wait. What if your submission was lost? Would they even tell you?

Don't mind me....I'm probably just paranoid. But I know I wouldn't like the waiting game :rolleyes

I too have wondered if mine could be lost somewhere.. or just thrown away by someone who could care less. I have come to find out the people that are judging are just people who have previously done the course. They could be anyone. ~sigh~ I'm not sure what to think at this point.

I think what upsets me the most is they wont even answer my emails.

:think :think :think

Myra:

Why not PM Fayettesmom or the Crochet Dude or someone else who has received their certificate and ask how long it took to receive the certificate?

I would continue to e-mail...or telephone...to ask briefly and politely what the status is on your portfolio.

With Convention being this week, the Big Guns may not be in the office but after the 19th you ought to be able to find out something. When I am at convention, I'll try to ask someone how long this should take. If I can find out the name of someone who is in charge of the program I'll try to get that person's phone number for you.

Hang in there.

pbnj has beat me to it, the one to ask is Drew.

THE CROCHET DUDE:yarn

If I remember right Drew sent his in in May and received his certificate back in June. I dont really want to bother him with my piddly questions cause I know he's a busy guy. ~sigh~

Myra:

Why not PM Fayettesmom or the Crochet Dude or someone else who has received their certificate and ask how long it took to receive the certificate?

Hang in there.

I just checked the posts.. and Fayettesmom sent her's in on 23January06 and received her certificate 02May06.. so BARELY over 3 months... ~sigh~:think :think :think

Archived