CGOA Masters Program?

I am doing the Thread master course. It has 25 swatches of varying sizes, plus 16 questions I have to answer in detail. Its all done, and placed in folder that I ship off to them when I have completed everything. It is sent all at one time. not in increments.

You have up to a year from the time they send you your instructions to complete your course.. You can do it as quick as you want though. I see about a month or two of work to finish everything. The year lets you set your own pace and fit it into your life as needed.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
try doing 3 or four of the same swatch then pick your best. Don't keep frogging that just will make you more nervous. It isn't going to take that much more yarn and by the time you are making your fourth swatch you will be much more relaxed about the whole thing. Remember we have a whole year to do this so relax and try and enjoy the process.

This is what I do.. I dont frog.. I just keep making swatches till I find one that I like.. I have a stack of "practice" swatches I could make an afghan out of LOL

How many swatches are there for the whole course? Is it divided up in sections for sending it in or all in one big batch at the end? (Someone said they mailed theirs in already! Was that the whole thing or one part? I thought it took a year?)

They give you a year from the date you sign up and fork over your money. In the yarn one, there is 21 swatches and 18 questions.. you finish all of them and put them in 2 - 3inch binders and mail them all at once to be judged. You have to label each swatch with the swatch number, the measurements they ask for (gauge), and of course your name and addy info. A few of the swatches ask you to write the pattern you used (or state which pattern you used if you used one already in publication)

:hyper Ooh, I am so excited for everyone who's getting to do this! It has been a longtime goal of mine to do both the CGOA Masters & the TKG Masters. As to why...well, who was it who said "I have the sort of personality that doesn't let me *really* like to do something without wanting to be the best at it." ? :lol Not that I think this will make me somehow *better* than anybody else, but more like an affirmation: "Yes, you totally ROCK at crochet!" After all--friends and family saying so is lovely, but if they don't crochet, they don't *really* know...and having fellow crocheters say so is wonderful, but if they're your friends, they're not going to tear the thing apart scrutinizing it...but a judging comittee that has never even seen your face is not going to be biased, know what I mean? Of course, I suppose you could get the same sort of experience from County Fair entries! :lol

Congrats, big hugs, and good luck to everyone working through this! Please keep us updated!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have finally finished my yarn portfolio.. all 21 swatches and 18 questions.. whew!.. I gotta say though.. I couldnt get both my binders in one of those postal boxes they recommended ~shrug~.. I had to use two boxes.. so i'll prolly get marked off for that LOL.. but anywho.. they are boxed and ready to mail on tuesday.. yeah!

Well I have finally finished my yarn portfolio.. all 21 swatches and 18 questions.. whew!.. I gotta say though.. I couldnt get both my binders in one of those postal boxes they recommended ~shrug~.. I had to use two boxes.. so i'll prolly get marked off for that LOL.. but anywho.. they are boxed and ready to mail on tuesday.. yeah!
Good for you.:yay:cheer:yay You must be so proud. :yay Bet it feels really good to be all done. :cheer:clap:cheer

I am going to start mine as soon as I finish the Crochet Olympics. I have everything I need now. Its just a matter of sitting down and going for it.

Good for you. You must be proud. It must feel really good to be all done.

I am going to start mine as soon as I finish the Crochet Olympics. I have everything I need now. Its just a matter of sitting down and going for it.

yes! I'm so glad to be done! I feel like I can sit back and relax and EXHALE now LOL.. good luck on yours!

Wow Myram, good job, you must be so glad and relieved to be done. :clap

Did you have to make many swatches before you got the ones you are sending? I know when I started doing the first 2 swatches I redid them each at least 3 times...I'm going to get at it right after I finish a couple of things I have on the go, I know we have a year but I don't want to leave it until the end. :hook

Wow Myram, good job, you must be so glad and relieved to be done. :clap

Did you have to make many swatches before you got the ones you are sending? I know when I started doing the first 2 swatches I redid them each at least 3 times...I'm going to get at it right after I finish a couple of things I have on the go, I know we have a year but I don't want to leave it until the end. :hook

Thanks Maria! I'm very relieved to be done!

I made a TON of swatches before I got "THE ONE'S" LOL .. i had so many swatches I could have easily made a couple of afghans! I've had mine since October of last year.. but didnt work on it constantly.. had a lot of charity work inbetween to do. Good luck on yours, Maria!!

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party but have been thinking about this for awhile now. Since I am teaching crochet classes now I think this would be great to do. Now to convince my DH that I need to join and pay the enrollment fee! Wish me luck in convincing him!

I want to do this course and get the certificate - I feel inspired - does anyone have a link and cost and I will need to check if they let us Brits complete it. Don't think there is similar course in UK - I would have heard of it being a lecturer!! Thank God for the Internet.

• 5 weeks later...

Just heard from the committee on the status of my submission. Here's what they said.

"This is to alert you to expect more delay in the return of your CGOA “Basic Stitches†Masters submission. We apologize that your entry arrived at a time when the CGOA Education Committee chairs were being changed over. Things were not set into place until mid-to-late March. Additional delays resulted when staff was dedicated to completing tasks for the Knit & Crochet Show."

Myra:

I'm so sorry that you are still having to wait on this!

I have my materials and have made one or two swatches but am still deciding which yarns to use.

What did you use for the first WW swatches?

You'll pass...you just have to be patient.

Keep us posted!

All the best, Artemis

Myra:

I'm so sorry that you are still having to wait on this!

I have my materials and have made one or two swatches but am still deciding which yarns to use.

What did you use for the first WW swatches?

You'll pass...you just have to be patient.

Keep us posted!

All the best, Artemis

Thanks for the vote of confidence Artemis! :D

I used red heart for all my WW swatches.. I just changed colors several times because I couldnt decide which looked better.. started out with a pink that would have been better left in the drawer LOL Ended up with a cornmeal and rust. I did 4 of each swatch and picked the one I liked best to go in the folder.

Congrats on getting started on yours.. I'll be cheering you on throughout! =-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Artemis! :D

I used red heart for all my WW swatches.. I just changed colors several times because I couldnt decide which looked better.. started out with a pink that would have been better left in the drawer LOL Ended up with a cornmeal and rust. I did 4 of each swatch and picked the one I liked best to go in the folder.

Congrats on getting started on yours.. I'll be cheering you on throughout! =-)

Oh, good. I am using Red Heart too. Since they ask for the gauge on the yarn wrapper, that limited it somewhat. I also couldn't see using a really expensive yarn since the real purpose is to judge technique, not end product. I too was going to make several, maybe three, before picking the best. That way I would relax into it.

I bet you rush out to the mailbox everyday...only to walk away disappointed not to hear anything. At least now you know they have received it and have it in line to be reviewed.

I'm thinking about you!:tup Artemis

Myra, I would be so nervous waiting...I haven't finished my course yet....actually I've bearly started, I was so nervous when I started it that I put it aside and haven't got back to it, I had better get cracking on it before I run out of time and lose my chance. I have a WIP now, so I'll finish it and start my swatches right after! You've inspired me again with your post!!

I hope you hear from the CGOA soon and they send your certificate of "Master" without much more delay! Keep us informed! :xfin

Myra, I would be so nervous waiting...I haven't finished my course yet....actually I've bearly started, I was so nervous when I started it that I put it aside and haven't got back to it, I had better get cracking on it before I run out of time and lose my chance. I have a WIP now, so I'll finish it and start my swatches right after! You've inspired me again with your post!!

My plan is to finish mine by the end of summer. Now on Spring Break, I've been playing with it. My first swatch was so tight I could hardly get the hook through it! Today, while my husband drove me on a two hour trip to Madison, I did two more of swatch number one and tried to just look out the window as I worked. They were much better.

Just relax...we'll get through this!

I haven't gotten really started either. Don't know if it is fear of failure or what.

Part of my problem is they do not give what size the swatches are supposed to be. I am doing the Master of Fibers in Thread Course. I have reread that booklet so many times it's not funny and nowhere does it mention the size of the swatches except for an occasional special size for a special swatch of stitches.

But the average swatch? Not a clue. You would think they woud tell you either in inches or number of stitches.

Do they give the swatch size in the yarn one? If so how big are they. I plan on doing a three inch by three inch swatch at this point.

But I have everthing all lined up and sitting here waiting for me to make a decision and just do it.

Oh, good. I am using Red Heart too. Since they ask for the gauge on the yarn wrapper, that limited it somewhat. I also couldn't see using a really expensive yarn since the real purpose is to judge technique, not end product. I too was going to make several, maybe three, before picking the best. That way I would relax into it.

I bet you rush out to the mailbox everyday...only to walk away disappointed not to hear anything. At least now you know they have received it and have it in line to be reviewed.

I'm thinking about you!:tup Artemis

Yeh, Red Heart is good when you're working on something that needs to be "sturdy" and easily count and see stitches.. thats why I went with it. I dont like working with it much, I'm so used to using the softer baby yarns because I do a LOT of charity work for babies

And about rushing to the mailbox everyday .. umm.. actually I havent LOL.. I had really just forgot about it until I got the email telling me why it was late! LOL

I hope you hear from the CGOA soon and they send your certificate of "Master" without much more delay! Keep us informed! :xfin

I did the same thing when I first got mine.. I tried to start on it.. did a few swatches.. then just ended up setting it aside for about 3 months. Its that initial "starting" thats the hardest.. finally you just have to jump in with both feet and just set aside time to do it. Once you get into it.. its not so hard..

I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines!! :cheer :cheer :cheer

My plan is to finish mine by the end of summer. Now on Spring Break, I've been playing with it. My first swatch was so tight I could hardly get the hook through it! Today, while my husband drove me on a two hour trip to Madison, I did two more of swatch number one and tried to just look out the window as I worked. They were much better.

Just relax...we'll get through this!

I had a problem with mine being too tight as well... sometimes I had to go up a hook size to get the correct gauge they were wanting.

Keep up the good work!:cheer :cheer :cheer

I haven't gotten really started either. Don't know if it is fear of failure or what.

Part of my problem is they do not give what size the swatches are supposed to be. I am doing the Master of Fibers in Thread Course. I have reread that booklet so many times it's not funny and nowhere does it mention the size of the swatches except for an occasional special size for a special swatch of stitches.

But the average swatch? Not a clue. You would think they woud tell you either in inches or number of stitches.

Do they give the swatch size in the yarn one? If so how big are they. I plan on doing a three inch by three inch swatch at this point.

But I have everthing all lined up and sitting here waiting for me to make a decision and just do it.

In the yarn one they didnt give a specific size like in inches.. what they gave us to work with was how many rows.. and how many stitches per row.. we had to note the gauge on some of them. But the swatches were quite large... I dont have any handy to measure but they were like 6-8inches wide and maybe 5-7inches tall.. perhaps someone working on them can measure one for you.

Keep a chin up and i'll be here to cheer you on as well!:cheer :cheer :cheer

Archived