CGOA Masters Program?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just scanning this thread, but then an idea popped into my head: is there an equivalent that can be done worldwide that anyone knows of?

I'm based in the UK but a quick search on google didn't show anything interesting up. How's about a good distance learning course somewhere? Or even a book to recommend which I could use to make my own swatches of different stitches (I actually have already started a box for my sample swatches which holds a few different stitches that I tried out to begin with using some very cheap acrylic yarn for practice...). I have one crochet book and have learnt the rest off the internet (like crochetpatterncentral.com and stitchguide.com)

I've come up with some random designs and have had an offer to earn some pocket money (ok, honestly, yarn money) from a friend's sister who owns a high-end does-everything homey and wearable shop to show her what I've made and she'll offer for it, so could be a good way to come up with some ideas and commissions by showing her the swatches...

I've reviewed my finances, and I'm not solvent enough to start the Master's of Yarn program at this time. :(

But perhaps I can scrape up funds just to join CGOA. Especially if the discounts are worth it. :lol Y'all know if it'll help me buy more yarn, I'm all for it. ;)

I'm nowhere near ready for something like this; but I can see what the benefits would be. The personal satisfaction would be great, plus it couldn't hurt to have the credential when trying to find work teaching or getting published.

Best of luck to everyone who goes for it!

MY UPDATE:

I have been in the process of rounding up all the different threads I am going to need. Plan on getting the rest of my supplies this weekend. There is still one or two threads I need to round up but they wont stop me from getting started. Then I will reread the booklet again and begin. Figured if I had everything in one place and kept the same hooks with the threads I will be using I would be able to work anytime I had the opportunity and or inclination without worriying about finding anything.

I will try and remember to post as I progress along the way. I am looking forward to doing this.

Kathy, you really have a great plan for getting started.....I plan on paying attention to what you're doing so that I could follow your lead when my package arrives.........I'm really anxious to get it! I too will keep the group informed of my progress, mine is the yarn course but the set up should be the same as yours. :hook

MY UPDATE:

I have been in the process of rounding up all the different threads I am going to need. Plan on getting the rest of my supplies this weekend. There is still one or two threads I need to round up but they wont stop me from getting started. Then I will reread the booklet again and begin. Figured if I had everything in one place and kept the same hooks with the threads I will be using I would be able to work anytime I had the opportunity and or inclination without worriying about finding anything.

I will try and remember to post as I progress along the way. I am looking forward to doing this.

I think this is a great idea...I think I will aim for around my birthday to send away for the program...in May...I really have to finish the one correspondance writing course I'm doing now before I get started on this...

I'll also be looking to you as an example of which to follow...

I just received my Masters Program :yay I read it over and will get my supplies before I start any of my swatches. I'm excited and nervous all at once, I don't know why I'm nervous, I guess the idea that someone will be examining my work....I hope to be able to call myself a Master some day! :hook

If any of you have any questions, I will be happy to chat. I have no idea if I did mine perfectly, but I just sent it out to be judged yesterday. Some of the wording is a little confusing, but overall it was just nice practice.

Oh- one little tidbit- get yarn that you like working with. I used Sugar Babies- and thought my hands were going to fall off. I crochet really tight- not smart of me to use cotton. I would use something that you normally use, too.

• 2 weeks later...
MY UPDATE:

Kathy.. how is your's going?

I just received my Masters Program :yay I read it over and will get my supplies before I start any of my swatches. I'm excited and nervous all at once, I don't know why I'm nervous, I guess the idea that someone will be examining my work....I hope to be able to call myself a Master some day! :hook

Maria, how are you doing so far? Run into any snags yet?

So far I have 2 swatches done and let me tell you, I have redone them and frogged part of them 2x so far! Just knowing they will be graded has me freaked :eek

I should just relax and crochet as I normally do, I haven't had much problems before while crocheting....just like in school, knowing it's a test I get nervous!:blush

So far I have 2 swatches done and let me tell you, I have redone them and frogged part of them 2x so far! Just knowing they will be graded has me freaked :eek

I should just relax and crochet as I normally do, I haven't had much problems before while crocheting....just like in school, knowing it's a test I get nervous!:blush

I know EXACTLY what you mean.. I'm doing the same thing.. I've redone mine now 4 times ~sigh~... I was telling my husband today I think I'm too much of a perfectionist.. I'm never gonna get done at this rate LOL

I am so glad you guys are posting your experience! I love lurking around here. It is fascinating. Thanx for sharing! If you flunk a swatch, do you just have to do it again until you get it right? How do they grade you?

You do all your swatches and place them in a folder along with all the questions they have you answer. Then you send it all off to be graded at one time.

I have every thing I need rounded up but one thread I want and I will order that later this month.

I am sort of waiting for the idea of Oh My Gosh What If I screw up, to change to I will do my best but it isn't the end of the world if I don't do it exactly perfect. I am almost there. I figure finish my doilies, get the crochet Olympics done and then focus on doing swatches. Swatches have never been my favorite thing to do so will have to make myself sit down and do them.There truly isn't anything in the course I haven't done at one point or another so I am not too concerned.

Yes they can ask for replacement swatches if the rest are up to snuff and you have a couple less than average for your level of work. But that is done after you send the whole thing in.

Just remember you know how to crochet. Do not let them choke you up. The swatches are just samples. If you find your self too nervous try doing 3 or four of the same swatch then pick your best. Don't keep frogging that just will make you more nervous. It isn't going to take that much more yarn and by the time you are making your fourth swatch you will be much more relaxed about the whole thing. Remember we have a whole year to do this so relax and try and enjoy the process.

Kathy, you are right, I shouldn't get so freaked about the swatches, I know how to crochet, I think I proved that already. Also frogging isn't a good idea because I find the yarn isn't as fluffy after being used a couple of times and that doesn't make for nice swatches either. I did want to make a set of swatches for myself anyway and so if I make a couple or more of each it's no sweat. Thanks for the pep talk, that's why I'm so happy to be part of such a fabulous forum. Thank you :hug

How many swatches are there for the whole course? Is it divided up in sections for sending it in or all in one big batch at the end? (Someone said they mailed theirs in already! Was that the whole thing or one part? I thought it took a year?)

Archived