CGOA Masters Program?

Well I'm half way to getting on the CGOA Masters Program, I joined the guild today. I'm waiting for my information package to arrive, I was told maybe a couple of weeks, but with the holidays in there it may take 3, I can't wait.

Once I get my membership number I will send for the Masters Program and I'm on my way!! :woo

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said I would send out my application when I wrapped the last gift. Well I wrote out my check and filled in my application today. It will go out in the mail tomorrow. I am going to do the Master of Fiber Thread as it is closest to my heart, but would like to consider myself as part of this crochet along anyway. I hope that is okay. I know most will be doing the Masters in Basics. I am looking forward to the chance to improve my skills and learn new things.

Congratulations for signing up for the CGOA!

I know you will like the masters program. Keep us updated on your progress.

I said I would send out my application when I wrapped the last gift. Well I wrote out my check and filled in my application today. It will go out in the mail tomorrow. I am going to do the Master of Fiber Thread as it is closest to my heart, but would like to consider myself as part of this crochet along anyway. I hope that is okay. I know most will be doing the Masters in Basics. I am looking forward to the chance to improve my skills and learn new things.

Please keep us updated how you are doing. I know you will have a great time.

Well I'm half way to getting on the CGOA Masters Program, I joined the guild today. I'm waiting for my information package to arrive, I was told maybe a couple of weeks, but with the holidays in there it may take 3, I can't wait.

Once I get my membership number I will send for the Masters Program and I'm on my way!! :woo

• 3 weeks later...

well, i've got my course paperwork for the yarn one.. and i've been going over it.. it seems fairly simply..but I wish they had put a little bit more information for some of them because they could be translated more than one way. Its not the stitches that are a little confusing..... its the instructions.. what they want done with the stitches.. or maybe i'm just stupid LOL i dunno ~shrug~

I also got my packet just the other day ( for the Thread ) and have been going over their requirements. I also found them to be less than clear on what is expected.

What I really expected was some educational information, like the differences in the different threads How they are sized? Oh we have to use them and tell what we think about them. But there isn't the educational material I thought this would have. Even if they gave references to different sources it would be better than just doing swatches. It is more a judging of your skills.

Ok I got a question.. what practical purpose is joining this Guild? I don't need someone to tell me I know how to crochet :lol Is there some glaring benefit that I'm just not seeing here??:think :think :think

You really shouldnt care what benefits anyone else gets.. every individual is different. If you join, you should be joining for whatever benefits it would bring to you. If you see nothing there to benefit you, then its not the thing for you to join. JHMO :)

I haven't got my packet yet, but I believe it's on it's way to me as we speak.

I hope we can help each other if the instructions are that badly written.....I wonder if you contacted CGOA about it they could help or do you think marks would go against you for the overall course?

I haven't got my packet yet, but I believe it's on it's way to me as we speak.

I hope we can help each other if the instructions are that badly written.....I wonder if you contacted CGOA about it they could help or do you think marks would go against you for the overall course?

thats the sad thing about it.. it states that you can't ask them any questions regarding the course. ~sigh~

I also plan on completing the Master's course for crochet first, then also for knitting but will have to wait till the spring probably. I'm hoping April or May. Will I still be able to join the Masters-Along?

You really shouldnt care what benefits anyone else gets.. every individual is different. If you join, you should be joining for whatever benefits it would bring to you. If you see nothing there to benefit you, then its not the thing for you to join. JHMO :)

What I see is a hefty price for someone I don't know to tell me something I already know lol just seems a waste of money IMHO :think

Crochet is one of those skills that you can tell how good or how bad someone is by looking at their work.. inconsistency in tension and stitches is VERY apparent. Joining this "Guild" does nothing beyond give you a piece of paper and let you do some swatches? No thanks, I'll save my money and buy more yarn :yay

I'm afraid I have to agree with Love Tender Touches. I looked thru the whole program and there is nothing there that will help me. I'm with you, lets buy yarn!!!:lol :lol

What I see is a hefty price for someone I don't know to tell me something I already know lol just seems a waste of money IMHO :think

Crochet is one of those skills that you can tell how good or how bad someone is by looking at their work.. inconsistency in tension and stitches is VERY apparent. Joining this "Guild" does nothing beyond give you a piece of paper and let you do some swatches? No thanks, I'll save my money and buy more yarn :yay

joining the guild doesnt give you a piece of paper or let you do some swatches.. joining the guild is to show your support and love of the fabulous art of crochet. By supporting the guild you are helping to spread the word how great crochet is to those that dont know about it yet. (among other things)

What I think you are having a problem with is the "Master's" programs the CGOA offers. You can belong to the guild without doing their Masters programs.

My personal reason for doing the Masters program is because I never had anyone to tell me I was "doing it right" . I never had a teacher or mentor, I taught myself through books and leaflets "... I've been crocheting for about 17 years and I'm still learning something new every day. I chose to do the program for the challenge, to see if I really did know what the heck i was doing all these years. I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself.. its something I'm going to enjoy doing and thats all that counts for me. If i chose to "throw away" money on it, then thats my right and my choice..Its my money. I dont care why anyone else is doing it, to each their own. I'm doing it for ME... and who knows.. I may learn something new through the process. A piece of paper means nothing to me, the satisfaction to know I accomplished something new is good enough for me.

My personal reason for doing the Masters program is because I never had anyone to tell me I was "doing it right" . I never had a teacher or mentor, I taught myself through books and leaflets "... I've been crocheting for about 17 years and I'm still learning something new every day. I chose to do the program for the challenge, to see if I really did know what the heck i was doing all these years. I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself.. its something I'm going to enjoy doing and thats all that counts for me. If i chose to "throw away" money on it, then thats my right and my choice..Its my money. I dont care why anyone else is doing it, to each their own. I'm doing it for ME... and who knows.. I may learn something new through the process. A piece of paper means nothing to me, the satisfaction to know I accomplished something new is good enough for me.

See, this is how I see it too...it's like any other discipline...anyone can learn most anything on their own if they have the mind to do so, however, I think it's also good to do a program like this, mainly for yourself, sure...but also if you want to be more professional, I think this can also show people in publishing or if you wanted to teach crocheting just how serious you are...

That's my reasoning...I do want to teach crocheting eventually...I do want to write up patterns, I do want to be taken seriously down the road...sure, my work, more or less can speak for itself...but this would just be that "little bit more..."

I was so excited to see that there was such a program...

You know one can go to college for design, for sewing, and so on...why not for this discipline...

Heck I dropped about $75.00 in yarn for one crocheted sweater and/or jacket...to me this would be a small price to pay to see just how good I've become over the years...

And I think that's why they are calling it a Masters Program...to "Master" the stitches, one's knowledge of the different fibers...and so on...There might be alot within the program that I already know...but I expect that there will be things in there that will be like an "aha" moment for me...and I'm looking forward to it...

The Guide's purpose is to promote the art of crocheting, through these programs, through teaching, sharing and finding new ways to enhance the experience...at least that's how I took it when I joined the Guild over a year ago...

I totally support the Guild as who else is out there speaking for us. Trying to gain respect and acknowledgment for this beautiful Art form, They are. They are at every fiber orientated event that is around promoting our love.

They are still in the growing stages but by Golly we need them. Crochet is on an upswing, and I think it is partially due to the guilds efforts. For me my membership (the cost of a dinner out) is nothing. If my Little bit helps crochet grow and gain respect and no longer be the old lady thing then more power to them. You go spend your money on yarn. That is your choice. I am taking my masters to test my skills. It may not be a perfect program but it is a beginning to give us credentials to shake the stereo type that crochet brings to mind.

So If nothing else I will prove to myself I do know what I think I know and how to communicate that to others. That is a big skill right there, And one of areas they do challenge you in the program.

It may not be a perfect program but it is a beginning to give us credentials to shake the stereo type that crochet brings to mind.

Amen!

For me my membership (the cost of a dinner out) is nothing. If my Little bit helps crochet grow and gain respect and no longer be the old lady thing then more power to them. You go spend your money on yarn. That is your choice. I am taking my masters to test my skills. It may not be a perfect program but it is a beginning to give us credentials to shake the stereo type that crochet brings to mind.

So If nothing else I will prove to myself I do know what I think I know and how to communicate that to others. That is a big skill right there, And one of areas they do challenge you in the program.

Kathy that was very well put, I personally can't wait to get my program and as far as it being too much money........if someone can't afford to pay for it don't put it down for people who can afford to pay for it. IMHO

Now I'm all for joining the Guild, and I can see where we need to support the organization, but I can not see going thru the Masters Program. At least not at this point. But I am open minded and I am sure that at some point I might do it. But I would like to hear some reviews before I commit myself. I do not like to start something and quit in the middle of it and right now I don't think I would finish the program. Need more positive feedback from all of you who are taking it!! Good luck and keep us all posted.:hook

Ok everyone take a deep breath.. I was not "putting down" the Guild..I'm simply asking what is the benefits other than a pat on the back and an "atta girl" ?? :lol

Now saying that I'm open minded, I can see supporting something that furthers our craft and promotes it to the public, but personally I'd never heard of it until I went online and looked for it. As far as other benefits is what I'm curious about :think One benefit was pointed out to me last night was consumers.. customers basically don't know.. they are the clueless masses, and seeing me in a booth somewhere with a certificate that says I'm a "Crochet Master" may induce them to buy from me and pass up Bertha sitting over there with 500 Red Heart scarves and ponchos for sale... but so far that's the best reason I've heard :lol Simply to impress and attract customers.

Oh and the magazine subscription :blush ok so that's 2 benefits :yay

Someone mentioned "doing it right". One of the aspects of this craft is individuality and putting your own personal styleon something. Do we want to become cookie cutter models of each other? I don't.. I'm not sure I'd get thru the Masters Program for that reason, I'd see something they wanted me to do and say Bollox.. I can do it this way easier or better. I've been doing that for years, very rarely follow a pattern exactly. I am just getting into writing down patterns though I've been designing basically for years and years now.

So someone give me some more benefits other than a pat on the back and a piece of paper :) You just might convince me lol but so far I've just not seen a huge benefit other than the customer aspect of it. Who heads this up? Who are they? What have they done? What gives them the credentials to "certify" anyone? Don't get your knickers in a twist, just show me more than a piece of paper and a pat on the back....Yeah I'm a cynic.. but I'm an open minded cynic.. so someone convert me :lol

Again, I'm not bashing or putting down anything, I'm asking and asking for more than a "so I know I'm doing it right". I already know I'm doing it right :devil Show me where the huge benefits are in this :P

Well, I may have to wait a month before starting, lets just wait and see.

I am trying to judge money, time, health etc before I start the Master's Program, but I DID join the guild last week. Other than the obviously already stated reasons/benefits there is a 10% discount a guild membership does provide for a few retail places, not much right now but in the future hopefully more places will start offering discounts. Oh, and you get a discount on their patterns (half price) as well. For business members you get a pretty good advertising discount. (eventually I will end up switching from personal to business so yes, that matters to me).

As far as the Master's Program, I want to do it for myself. I don't think it will validate me as a crocheter (crochetier for Jim :P ) nor will it make my life complete. I just want that little bit of an ego boost that costs $75 and a bit of time.

This is my career, I am starting out small and hobbyish but eventually will be making a living this way.

This Master's Program is a test for myself. If I can finish it and do well and become a Master then I will have proven to myself what everyone has been telling me, I CAN DO THIS. After years of letting my anxiety rule over me and hidding in my house and running from the world I will take whatever encouragement and ego boosting I can get. :)

Maybe it is a waste of money to some and probably my reasons sound kinda silly. Thats fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is why I want to do this and others have their own for doing (or not doing). But I hope that shed a bit of light on at least why I would want to.

And for the one who asked, I think it would be a cool idea to keep the Master A- Long open for whoever wants to do it whenever (no timeline to join or not) that way anyone who wants to and needs encouragement can just start along.

Archived