Steering Wheel Cover~~PIC Added

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I really like this idea and want to make one for my car, but I don't have any elastic or money at this time to buy any. I just saw this pattern on knitty.com (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTwheelie.html) that looks like it's just tied on with some sort of drawstring. Does anyone know how I could convert this pattern to crochet?

thank you for sharing this. I have gone through three steeringwheel covers. My DH keeps picking at the appliques and ripping it up due to his ADHD. I am going to make one that he cant "pick" apart.

I really like this idea and want to make one for my car, but I don't have any elastic or money at this time to buy any. I just saw this pattern on knitty.com (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTwheelie.html) that looks like it's just tied on with some sort of drawstring. Does anyone know how I could convert this pattern to crochet?

I do not know about converting knit to crochet, but just after a very brief perruse of the pattern on here, couldn't you make this pattern w/o the elastic and then crochet a tie to wrap around and secure it on? It's a suggestion. :)

Sandy

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I needed this pattern. With summer coming up, the steering wheel will be hot as blazes in a closed up car. I like the idea of a crocheted one. I can throw it in the wash.

hugs,

Katy

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of making a stearing wheel cover for my dh's car. I'm using a G hook and chained 13, working 12 hdc in the chains. I'm working enough rows to where when stretched it will cover the wheel. I'll join the first and last rows, slip it on the wheel, then thread crocheted chains through the first and last st of each row to tie it onto the steering wheel.

For those who have made this posted version and have washed their covers, how did they stretch out? Dh can't handle it if the piece is loose after washing, even with the elastic to hold it on, the stitches around the wheel would be loose.

Thanks for any information. I will be making two covers so one is available when the other is in the wash. I think I'll try this version next to compare the two.

Alysha

:lol This is soooooo cool. I thought I was the only one "silly" enough to come up with this idea. I recently made a steering wheel cover for my car, never even gave a thought to writing down a pattern :blush. (My family thought I was crazy enough as it was.) On a sad note, we only got to enjoy the cover for about six weeks before my car was stolen and burnt out. GRRR! :angry Hmmmm, maybe I will make another.

Archived