Steering Wheel Cover~~PIC Added

Thank you to kazily who tested this pattern and posted her pic on post #9.

Materials:

Worsted Weight cotton yarn~~about 5-6 ounces (?)

G (4.25 mm) hook

2 pieces of 1/4" wide elastic cut 20 1/2" long

sewing needle and thread

Prepare elastic:

Overlapping ends 1/2" on one piece, sew elastic to form a ring.

Repeat on other piece of elastic.

Cover:

Make a ch 42". Being careful not to twist ch, sl st to form a circle.

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in each ch around. Join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: Working over first elastic ring, ch 1, sc in each sc around. Join in first sc.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around. Join in first sc.

Repeat Rnd 3 until piece measures 4 1/2" from beg ch.

Next Rnd: Working over second elastic ring, ch 1, sc in each sc around. Join in first sc.

Last Rnd: Repeat Rnd 3. Fasten off.

NOTE: Cover should have a snug fit on your steering wheel. If it doesn't, kazily's picture shows a very good suggestion~~tie the open spots to get a snug fit.

You could also adjust the length of elastic by an inch or so before sewing into a ring.

Abbreviations:

beg.................................beginning

ch....................................chain

rnd.................................round

sc....................................single crochet

This is just what I've been looking for! My Aunt has a frog cover and I though that it would be neat to have a crochet version but I had no clue how to make one! I'm gonna try this right away!!

Thanks so much for this pattern! As it turns out, my mom has been complaining a lot lately about how hot her steering wheel is. She was going to buy a cover the other day, but now I'm going to make one!

• 3 weeks later...

Melissa, I wanted to thank you so much for the pattern you posted. I finally made one after touching my hot steering wheel too many times this summer lol! You can say your pattern is officially tested & works great!

The pattern went very easy. Mine was still a bit loose even with elastic --I & I was afraid of breaking the elastic if I pulled too tightly, so I tied it with bows in places it was too open. I am thinking about threading through to make it look neater but I was in a hurry to get it ready to drive with--it was so hot today. I am very happy with my steering wheel cover! Might have used a more "matching" color but I just used some cotton on hand. My interior is gray so the blue doesn't look bad. And :lol funny is that I use winterberry for the front. Ran out & changed to blue & white--so now I have a "reversible" steering wheel cover too! When I get tired of one side I can flip it around. :D

th_wheelcover1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i was thinking about making one of these for my car, and i was wondering how to go about it...thanks for doing the hard part for me...:lol ...now i'll make one for my car-who's name is Froggie by the way...;)....which is quite ironic because since i hadn't really joined any crocheting groups until a few weeks ago, i didn't even know that 'frogging' was a crocheting term...:P...

...Manda...

• 2 months later...

This inspired me. I spend half my life driving (taxi), so I insist on a comfortable environment to spend 10 hours of my day in. I too hate those "icky sticky" wheel covers.

I fudged a little, since I didn't have any elastic and didn't feel like spending time in Wally World looking for it.

I used Red Heart yarn (black, because I work with money and lighter colors would dirty too easily)

I chained 120 with a G hook. (This is a very TIGHT fit for a Chevy Astro Van - and it is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!) It MUST be very tight!!! I mean, PRY IT ON TIGHT - else I fear it will stretch to a "wiggly" mess.

Again, this was for a Chevy Astro... Your milage may vary slightly.

I sc "in the round" for 14 rounds. I did not turn.

I then turned it inside out using the wrong side for the texture (looked better for a steering wheel - to me, anyway). I stretched in onto the wheel and stitched front and back together (tightly) with a whip stitch in between each "spoke" on the wheel.

I LOVE IT!!!! It is soft, its textured.

Its COMFY!!!!

I LIKE!!!

I will probably play with this some - as I am known as a bit of an "eccentric" and would like to come up with something I can change at will... seasonal, maybe. Mood, maybe? Maybe just different "odd colors and patterns". HMMMMM....

Ideas, ideas, ideas!!!!

I'll let you know what I come up with. (It will be after the holidays - I don't have time right now)

A loopy wheel cover would be a lot of fun, but considering I wrote the pattern on the fly and didn't actually make it while writing (like I usually do), the sc one was the easiest I could do without actually doing it.

I'll play with the pattern and get a loopy one out soon. Thanks for the awesome idea Natalie!!!

Cabbie & Natalie you have some good ideas! It would be fun to make them funny, personal, eccentric etc. I made another cover using the spike stitch with black/white & it is so cool looking. The loopy idea would be cool too. And if you like the luxurious look, for a really nice car you could use suede.

The more I use it, the more I wonder why I never thought of it before. 12 years of hating icky sticky steering wheels.... GGGrrrr....

I love this thing.

Loopy would be cute. Time consuming, but adorable.

Suede would be so soft, and red heart makes that "plush" that is made more like the baby "terrycloth-like" yarn... in other words, the texture is put in it different than the suede or chenile and the softness doesn't wear off and leave bare spots which might be a problem with something that gets that much active use. (Did this make sense?)

Even with the most expensive yarn, this is still a cheap project.

I also considered using a draw string instead of the elastic, this way, you can draw it as tight as you need to.

I wish I had time to do a Christmas one, but maybe I can squeeze out a New Year's one, and an Easter one... one for Bike week? (Harley Davidson logo?), the possibilities are endless.

My mind is racing over this...

I used to be really into beading... I once thought about doing a beaded cover :blush but crochet never even crossed my mind. Maybe I can combine the two for something really unique.

I also found one of my peers who is into knit and crochet.... she loved it too. I think she is considering doing one for her cab after Christmas. She drooled over it.

This is such an excellent idea :clap, I don't know why it never occurred to me! :think I would especially love to have a cover now when temps are in the subzero range and grabbing the wheel to drive is like holding an icicycle - very painful! That, and the hot wheel in the summertime... :( But now the solution is at hand (so to speak)! :c9

The variation ideas are getting my own creative juices flowing, too. :hook As soon as I can get past my holiday crocheting, I will have to do some experimenting and see what I can come up with. I find it very hard to drive with gloves on, even in these frigid temps, so a nice soft (and quick to warm) yarn cover that won't slide appeals to me a LOT! Thanks Melissa and all you other creative contributors! :yay

Just had to add that I, too, have been thinking about making one of these (even the one store-bought style I do like gets too hot in the southern California summer), and thus also my thanks for doing the hard work of figuring out how to do it! Thanks also to kaz and cabbie for the additional ideas and inspiration....

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived