PK doily question

craftimama

I'm on row 39 of a large pineapple doily by PK (it's #2 in The Best of PK, pictured on page 33 and on the front cover). It's also in Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies, I think. not sure what # it is in that book. Row 39 involves sc decreases and FP tr into 2tr clusters 2 rows below. The sc decreases go around the popcorn stitches on the row before.

Decreasing around the popcorn stitches seems really awkward to me. It does make them stand out more, but I'm finding it tedious. The first decrease in the repeat actually starts 5 sc away from the first ch3 space you use to pull up a decrease loop.

If you've made this doily, was this row awkward for you....or am I over-thinking this?? I keep pulling out the first set of decreases to try it again. lol.

Maybe I need a break, and some more caffeine... ha ha

Juli

:coffee More caffeine never hurt...

I made this a few months ago ( #18 & on the cover of Abs. Gorgeous Doilies ), I made a few minor changes & pencilled notes but not for round 39.

One of the things I did on round 38 & on the center round of popcorns...I'd decided the popcorns were too big so I made a 5-dc popcorn instead of a 7-tr popcorn. I also did a ch-1 instead of ch-3 around the popcorn in round 38.

I'm sure if I'd decided not to do a sc-dec I would have crossed them off in pencil :think on my pattern, maybe they were not as tedious with the smaller popcorns.

Not much help, am I? Sorry! Hang in there, it's a lovely pattern albiet a lot of work!

I figured it out!

I put it away for awhile, had some coffee, relaxed, and then came back to look at it again...

I was trying to pull up the loops for the decreases in the large spaces below the popcorn stitches. Wrong! I totally forgot that alongside each popcorn is a ch3 space since it was a (sc, chain 3, 7 tr popcorn, ch 3, sc) repeat and not just the popcorn stitches in those spaces.

Whew -- no wonder it felt awkward. lol. Doing it the right way, it's not awkward at all. Problem solved!

Going along smoothly now!

I've enjoyed making this doily....but I'm going to be really really glad when I can FO and start something else. It hasn't been that difficult....it's just large and I'm ready for a new project. When I work on the same thing for too long, I start making silly mistakes --- like today. lol.

Although I'm tired of working on it, I do have to say that the design is incredible. PK is just so talented!

Thanks for your help Granny Square. I agree with you about the 7 tr popcorns....they are rather large. I will pencil that note into my pattern book...I think the 5 tr would be plenty big enough.

Only this one and 3 more rows to go!!! I'm almost DONE!!! Then I have a date with starch and a lot of pins.... :o) I will be SO happy to block this puppy!!

Juli

Archived