My spin on the Chakra purse

jeannej

I finished my latest purse and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It's done in Sugar 'n Cream navy and white, and those familiar, might see that it is similar in shape to that of the Chakra purse (my very first purse project). It looks to be a running theme with my purses so far (3), but I seem to be drawn to that front-post double crochet pattern stitch, which, as you can see, I used overall. I was wondering what the stitch would look like worked in two colors and I am pretty happy with the results - it really brings out the deep texture of the stitch, although that's not captured very well in my photo.

post-29383-135897430081_thumb.jpg

Using the cotton yarn lent a nice heft and body to the purse compared to the softer more pliable Caron Spa yarn that the original Chakra pattern calls for (and probably even more so in that I carried the non-working color over as I worked each row!). I had to adjust things just a bit using the cotton, but I personally like the difference that it made -It holds its shape rather nicely.I lined the purse with a navy & star patterned fabric, and a magnetic snap secures the flap. If I had "do-overs" I would have been more careful positioning the inside pocket as it sits higher than I'd have preferred. Now, if I could only locate this great brass-toned star-shaped button that I bought to embellish the front flap -I was either robbed...or 'someone' misplaced it :think ...ah well!

Anyway, thank you for looking!

post-29383-135897430067_thumb.jpg

Thank you for checking it out, gals; I'm thrilled that you like it :hug

Hope your week is off to a good start -Make it a great one!

Your purse looks great. I tried this purse using a different yarn, just worsted weight acrylic I had, but it seemed it would be the size of a small suit case, so I abandoned the project. Your's looks like a reasonable size. Did you alter the amount of beginning stitches?

Your purse looks great. I tried this purse using a different yarn, just worsted weight acrylic I had, but it seemed it would be the size of a small suit case, so I abandoned the project. Your's looks like a reasonable size. Did you alter the amount of beginning stitches?

Thank you, Kim. Using the Caron Spa yarn as recommended for the original Chakra purse (the first one I made), I recall wondering if the pattern's gauge was off, as I had to go from the suggested D-hook way down to a B-hook. With that one, I started with the recommended ch-50 and my purse ended up about 12" x 7" (pattern is 11x7) -Good enough.

However, with this latest version, using the Sugar and Cream cotton, I had to start with far shorter ch-40, but for the life of me I cannot recall which hook size I used! I know that I crocheted fewer rows with this one, as it was ending up way too deep (cavernous!). This purse measures 12"x8", btw.

I love the basic shape and the main pattern-stitch, though, so I thought it was worth taking the time to make the alterations. Of the two I made, I really do prefer the extra shape-keeping heft of my latest.

Just play with the first few rows, Kim, until you find the starting width you like (my starts look to be somewhere between 9"-10" respectively) Hope I've helped some.

Thanks, Jeanne, you've helped tremendously. I will give it another try with smaller hook and the alterations you've suggested because I really like the purse pattern, and I don't see a lot of purse patterns that excite me. Also, I never thought about omitting the "heart" design, but that would give me more freedom as far as size is concerned, and I'm not married to the idea of a heart on the purse, I'm more impressed with the nice texture. Thanks again for the help.

p.s. I love your "signature" poem.

Thank you, everyone. Your comments mean so much, coming from those familiar with what it takes to take a project from start to finish. I really do appreciate you! :hug

Archived