Patterns Verses Finished Work

crochet4ever

Question

So many times I see beautyful pictures of peoples work and wonder where they got the pattern. When I find out, The picture on the booklet or website never never ever looks as nice as the work of the talented people in here. Not once. Why is that? Thoughts please.

6 answers to this question

Hmm, I guess I do find that to be the case at times. Just off the top, I'd venture that with most of the photos downloaded by members here, the sole focus is on the project itself, with very little else occupying the frame, as a rule (no distractions as in some professional 'vignettes'). While 'posing' a soft lacy baby afghan over the rail of a cradle in the dappled light of a nursery proves to be a delightful scene, something, for me at least, gets lost when it comes to heart of the matter. ....Oh, and it also helps, me thinks, that the displayed handiworks here are illuminated by the personal sharings of the piece's creator...lending a bit of magic. :mdust

Some of it might hae to do with how the photo on the booklet was taken. A cross stitch designer was telling us she has to take a ton of pictures to get just the right one for the cover of her cross stitch designs and it's not easy. Maybe some booklets someone did the photos themself or maybe some they used a professonial photographer. Mary

I love opinion questions like this as no one can ever be wrong. LOL I think there are many factors at play in these situations. In pattern photo often the item has been made with the designers choice of yarn and color to fulfill what they believe will be best for their pattern or by what the photographer wants for the setting. When you see the finished piece that an individual has created they have picked the yarn and color that pleases them. Often for a pattern photo the sample is made as a sample when made by an individual they make it for themselves or as a gift etc so love, good thoughts, and prayers are stitched into it. Then there is the photo itself. When selling a pattern or book of patterns it is like anything else being bought as consumers we buy the ‘feeling’ the ‘image’ the item portrays. So the afghan draped lovingly over the arm of an overstuffed chair with a book on the stand next to it and a steaming cup of something gives the feeling of comfort and who doesn’t want to make that afghan that gives you comfort. Where as individuals we share our work and say see this is what the piece looks like this is what the stitch pattern looks like so therefore we do close ups so everyone can see. We don’t concern ourselves with putting on the illusion because we are not selling anything we are sharing. Just my thoughts.

Hmm, I've found just the opposite -- projects that look great in the photo in book or magazine look quite different when someone else makes it. Often it is gauge -- and crocheters are notorious for not wanting to take the time to check and adjust their gauge--and gauge can totally change the look of the project. Or a completely different yarn has been chosen which does not show off the pattern stitch; or...well, there are a thousand reasons.

In your case, which is the reverse of what I've found, it may be that you like the color better now; color has a powerful impact on one's likes and dislikes.

Jean Leinhauser

I get so jealous when I see a pattern that's nice, but nothing spectacular; and then someone will make it with just the right yarn in just the right color and it will turn out fabulous.

I get so jealous when I see a pattern that's nice, but nothing spectacular; and then someone will make it with just the right yarn in just the right color and it will turn out fabulous.

That's one of the nice things about Crochetville! You can ask them what yarn they used, what hook size they used, and the measurements. If you want to reproduce it, you can make a swatch and compare it to the picture they provided and adjust your hook or guage accordingly. I love the 'ville! :cheer

(Just a little 'viller enthusiasm busting out! :lol)

Archived