Everyhing I was doing is wrong

Tara_E

Question

I just kind of aught myself how to crochet a few months ago during my spring break. I am currently working on a hat for my boyfriend. I am fairly far into it, and I just realized what I had thought was a single crochet stitch is actually just a slip stitch. I'm not sure how I got this far without realizing this, because my first project was a scarf that i made entirely out of slip stitches! Needless to say, it took forever, but since I was new to this, I thought I was doing it right. I watched some tutorials online, and now understand the differences between the two stitches. At this point, I don't know whether to just start the hat over doing it the correct way, or to just keep going with the slip stitches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

15 answers to this question

Wow, well, I'll say that you definetly have patience! I honestly would rip it out and start over with the sc. I think it will be too small with sl st and again take you forever.

Hi Tara and welcome to the Ville:hook

Just remember that ripping out is an important skill to have---seriously! All of us do things that don't turn out the way we want, and it's necessary to rip back, start over, redo, in order to achieve the desired results. Every time I rip back, I've learned something :)

I agree with what was said so far. Besides slip stitches have little to no give. Your hat will not stretch to fit. Ripping out is a part of the craft. Even the most experienced crocheters have to frog their projects.

You know why it's called frogging?! Because you "rip-it rip-it!"

I know bad joke.

:lol Sorry, your post made me giggle. Though yes, you do have patience!! I think you should rip it out and start over. Good job though with sticking with it!!!

Once you learn the other stitches, a whole new world will open up to you and your crochet project!!

tara e i think everyone has missed this so far in this post...we never say ripping it out..it is called "frogging" and is a very important...i dont think there crocheter here who has not mastered this skill....:2frog:2frog:2frog

tara e i think everyone has missed this so far in this post...we never say ripping it out..it is called "frogging" and is a very important...i dont think there crocheter here who has not mastered this skill....:2frog:2frog:2frog

lots of people do say frog, but also lots say rip out or rip back. Whatever you call it, it's an important thing to know how and when to do:)

I totally had the same issue at first, thinking that the Slip Stitch was Single Crochet, but I frogged what I had and started over, because it was just some cheap yarn I was practicing on anyway. I still have trouble sometimes and have learned to be able to pretty much see where I went wrong and get to the point just before it.

Just pray you didn't slip stich too tightly or you won't be able to easily rip those slip stitches out.

Yeah, I did it pretty loosely, and it is just a great big skein of red heart black yarn, so I think it will be okay. It helps knowing that other people have problems and make mistakes too! Thanks again guys!

You're not alone, I've read several posts where the new crocheter thought the slip stitch was single crochet. When I first started crocheting, I thought the half-double stitch was single crochet, for the longest time. :hook It was a real light bulb moment when I figured it out.

Just an update:

I started a new hat today, stitching the correct way!!!! I can't get over how much easier and faster it is! I'm almost done already! I thank everyone again!

Just an update:

I started a new hat today, stitching the correct way!!!! I can't get over how much easier and faster it is! I'm almost done already! I thank everyone again!

:cheer Good for you!

We've all been there!! The one phrase is "DO NOT GIVE UP!!!" Keep on crocheting, and in later years this will be a great story to tell your grandkids and laugh like crazy over.

Archived