Caution - MUCH shameless bragging here...

I just have to show this off!

My Mom had told me several years ago that she was going to make me a bedspread just like one she had made for herself YEARS ago. Life then happened, as it always does - her parents got sick and passed away, a new grand-baby was born, her arthuritis got worse...so I had forgotten about it, and assumed that she had, too.

WRONG!! When I stopped by there after work today, she gave me this! I almost cried. It means the world to me. So, I rushed home, threw it across the bed, took a pic, and came here to show it off :lol

I am thrilled beyond words. Plus, I wanted to show off Mom's beautiful work. I will cherish this always!

The pattern is OLD. Its from (a very tattered and torn) American Thread booklet that cost 25 cents back in the day. The pattern is called 'The All-American Crocheted Bedspread'.

I LOVE IT!!! :manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

post-19473-135897428978_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is just incredibly gorgeous. My jaw dropped.

Did you have any inkling that she had been working on this?

What a wonderful heirloom. Your Mom does magnificent work and

I know you will treasure it always. :manyheart

That is so fabulous. You will treasure it always I am sure and also the fact that she quietly kept working on it to keep her promise to you. :Lovely bedspread and Lovely mother. You are a Lucky Lady.

:cry That made me cry too! :eekIt is soooooo beautiful and so much love went into making that bedspread. Besides the fact that it is gorgeous. It reminded me of the quilt my mom made me for xmas the year before last. It had me in tears. I sleep with it every night. No matter how hot, I cannot sleep without my blankie. :lol

Thanks for all the kind words...my Mom really IS awesome :D

Her grandmother had tried to teach her to crochet when she was a little girl. She said that it just never really appealed to her then because she didn't like to sit still for that long! Then, not long after her and my Dad were married, his job transferred him to working a swing shift. She would be bored in the evenings. So she went to the local McClellan's (like a Woolworth's, I think) and bought a little book on how to crochet. She bought a skein of yarn and a hook and off she went :lol

I remember her making Barbie clothes from thread when I was little, as well as yarn shawls I'd wear with dresses to church. She has always made gorgeous things. I guess you could say that my goal is to be as good as she is!

And yes, she worked on that bedspread all along when she had time and when her fingers would let her. I had NO IDEA. It was such a wonderful surprise! I hugged her so hard she told me to 'calm down' :lol She is 69 years old, and still full of spunk even though her arthuritis and degenerative neck disease don't always let her do what she wants.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I DID lay down the law to the Hubby - I explained to him gently that if he ever did anything to harm that bedspread, it would result in bodily injury :lol

Oh, I am speechless! I don't think there are enough words to describe how I feel about this very special gift your mother gave you, so I won't even try. So much love went into it. You are so very fortunate to have this gift to treasure always.

It is exquisite, Mellybelly! What a wonderful, wonderful piece to cherish and hand down. Knowing how every length of thread passed lovingly through your Mom's hands, so many stitches filled with her thoughts, cares and memories in its making. Thank you for sharing! :hug

I am speechless. That is just georgeous. Moms are so special and have the ability to surprise us no matter how old we are.

I am sitting here remembering when my Mom gave me one for my bed and it is still cherished to this day, and when not in use, put in a special bag to keep it safe.:manyheart

Archived