Need help with American Girl lace dress

yellowrose93

Hi! I have been trying to make this dress for my daughter's doll and it just isn't turning out right. http://www.abc-knitting-patterns.com/1029.html I actually had the skirt done and took it apart. Ok, where I am stuck is on the skirt. I have read the pattern and just can't figure out how to add the 4dc to each row (starting with row 5). For some reason, every time I would start a new row, my counting was off. I have written this out and still can't figure out what to do. Can anyone help? I'm not new to crocheting, but this is really throwing me for a loop. Thanks!!

Erin

I have been looking at this pattern and I think I will also do it. Well I undestand it, you add an extra dc at begining then in center back then the side then the front that would be you 4 in the circle just meaning you increased by 4 on each row.

:) You didn't sound rude or anything. I guess I wasn't very clear either. I know where you are supposed to add the dc, but actually doing it doesn't seem to be working for me. The first four rows of the skirt are all different so when it says to add 4dc I am not totally sure how to add them. When you look at row 2-4 you will see how there are dc and ch and the number of them keep changing. So, then I get confused as to how/where exactly I should add the extra stitches. Kind of wish that rows 4-24 were written out for me. :lol Anyway, any insight you have is very appreciated! Thanks!

Haven't made this, but it looks like the skirt has sections that are like an inverted v and that is where the increases are. between the inverted v sections are sections of 5 dc and there aren't increases there. the inverted v is bordered by sections of 2 dc and 3 dc. so the increases must be in the "3 dc in same loop" part---does that make sense? (3 dc in same loop doesn't make much sense to me but hopefully it does to you after making the first four rows?):hook

Ok, so I think I finally figured out the skirt. It only took an hour or two of graphing things out. Won't know until I actually do it, though. Now I am frustrated about the bodice. I made the front and back bodices. But then the pattern makes no sense. "To make armholes connect bodice front with back with chain 4" --WHERE???? I am assuming at the shoulders, but am not sure. "Starting from the center of the right back crochet 64dc, including 4dc for each armhole. At the end of the row connect to the beginning of the row to make a circle." I have looked at the bodice so many times I am ready to scream. I am just not understandning where these 64 dc are supposed to go. If I start at the bottom center and go along the bottom, then up the side, down the side of the front bodice, along the bottom, up the side and down the left side of the back and along the bottom I can make a circle. But where are these 4dc for the armholes coming in? ANd I need to make 48 dc in the next row. Ugh! I have sewn all my life and crocheted for a number of years now. I have never been so frustrated by a pattern. Wish someone who had made this could help. Wish the person who wrote the pattern had been a bit more clear! Please help!!!! :help

there was a CAL here for american girl doll dresses, maybe some info there http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1537151

I think the 4 chain would be joining the bottom corners of the front bodice to the outside bottom corners of the back bodice pieces. the 64 dc would then be around the bottom edge of the bodice. the count is right, 26 st in the front, 15 st in each back, plus the two sets of 4 ch at the armhole bottoms = 64.

Where does the 48 dc come in? I don't see it...:think

Archived