I'm Asking Again! :) Homeless Help! EDIT UPDATE

pasteeater

Hi! You may or may not remember last Christmas time I asked for little stuffed animals for my hubby's work. So this time I'm going to try to be clearer with my request. I don't think I was clear enough.

Ok! :hook This is my request. I am looking for fairly small stuffed animals. I need about 40-50. Why do I need these you are probably asking. I shall tell you. My husband's company provides permament shelter for homeless people. This means they have a home provided by his company. They do NOT need hats, scarfs or gloves. At Chirstmas time it's usually 80 degrees out! So they don't need that. I do apperciate the jesture though. It's great that people were offering that. The clinets do NOT sleep on the street. They are provided housing, clothing, and food.

Unfortantly, they do not have family or even friends. Last year we decided it would be nice to put a little stuffed animal in each stocking they get. They are given a stocking at Christmas time. Unfortantly the budget only allows 50 dollars to fill these stocking. That's for ALL clinets! My husband and co-workers thought it would be very nice to put in a little animal. Yes, they are adults but simple things make one smile, homeless or not. It could be just any kind of animal or something Christmas-y. That's up to you! We just asked for small items and something that would make a human being happy.

They are provided all the needs, but cannot be provided something happy. The budget is VERY, VERY tight. I would like to make some others happy this coming Christmas and I hope and pray others would too!

Thank you so very much just for reading this. I'm asking early this year. Last year I was given about 3 weeks to get it in order! I would love to over load my husbands office with happy things. It may sound silly but these types of things really do make happiness. I was thinking about lap ghans but its just too hot to work on them!

Any questions or comments??? Please feel free to PM at any time. I hope I can get some help here. You all are very sweet! These are people who society has given up on. I want them to know people do care! Thank you!!!

Edited to add: These are for adults. Our program is for adults. There is a shelter a few towns over that handles families. They get more than enough donations. I only know that because my husband worked there before he worked at this job. Thank you for all the people who PM'ed me thus far. :yay:hug

EDITED AGAIN! Someone offered to make comfortghans. I was wondering if anyone could send 12" squares and I'd sew them together. What I'd like is a solid color with a white border granny square. If you can help, please let me know. Thanks!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The yo-yo animals are really cute and they're quick to make. I'll make some for you. I don't have the pattern out right now, but I know there's a dog, a cat, an elephant, a sheep -- some other animals, too, but I don't recall what they are right now. I usually add a couple to the bag when I'm getting lapghans ready to go to the local hospice I make things for. I'm told they're very popular. Glad you're letting us know early. PM your address to me. I'll let you know when I have some ready to send.

Jeanie

I am willing to help. I love to make ami's, and I also love stuffed animals so I can see how it would make someone's day. :wink What size are you looking for? Also, what is your deadline? I'm sure I could make 5-10 depending on the deadline. Are they mainly for adults or do they need to be free of small parts, for children?

My deadline is actually the first week of November. I know that those months are very busy for people so I am trying to give fair warning. :manyheart I am sending out PM's now. Thanks ladies!

I have a thing for teddy bears, so I could make some for your project. Maybe do them in different colors. It's the little things that can make a BIG difference when you're homeless. God bless you and your husband :hug.

Andrea

Ok, I think I sent everyone a PM. If I missed you please feel free to let me know OK? Thanks to you all for your kindness and help. You are doing such a nice thing!!!!

I don't dare give a number right now, but I'd like to help. (along with another poster..I know you specifically asked for small stuffed animals...any thing else? like little bags, bookmarks, keychain sized goodies (I'm thinking pocket sized, not that they necessarily have a set of keys) just wondering :) )

I really appreciate the advance warning ;) too

Shalom,

I don't dare give a number right now, but I'd like to help. (along with another poster..I know you specifically asked for small stuffed animals...any thing else? like little bags, bookmarks, keychain sized goodies (I'm thinking pocket sized, not that they necessarily have a set of keys) just wondering :) )

I really appreciate the advance warning ;) too

Shalom,

Anything small is pretty helpful and actually they do have keys. They are provided temp housing and a lot of them have cars. When my husband worked at another shelter one of the families actually drove a Lexus which is a FAR better car than ours! LOL

lol a LEXUS?! wow. of course, homelessness is hitting everyone these days...

He worked at that shelter about three years ago. Yep a Lexus! If it were me, and this may be JUST me. But I'd sell that Lexus!!!! They drive a MUCH nicer car than we do! We are in the desert and we don't even have cooling in our car!

OH PS They have keys to the houses they stay in. Also I think bookmarks might be helpful. One of the clients actually is a pretty well known author...or he used to be. That's all I can say about that though.

He worked at that shelter about three years ago. Yep a Lexus! If it were me, and this may be JUST me. But I'd sell that Lexus!!!! They drive a MUCH nicer car than we do! We are in the desert and we don't even have cooling in our car!

I'd probably do the same thing! I don't have cooling in my car, either. And don't feel bad- I don't have a/c in my car, either. Well, I do, but, every time I turn it on, the car starts to chug. We had it looked at last year and the mechanic gave us this big runaround...so this year I just told hubby I will tough it out.

I'd probably do the same thing! I don't have cooling in my car, either. And don't feel bad- I don't have a/c in my car, either. Well, I do, but, every time I turn it on, the car starts to chug. We had it looked at last year and the mechanic gave us this big runaround...so this year I just told hubby I will tough it out.

Stacy, about what area do you live in? We are in the Palm Springs area where today it was 115. So not fun with out AC!!! For the previous two years we didn't have AC in the HOUSE!! Our car chugs like that too, I wonder what kind of car you drive? We drive a Focus and it just doesn't like to be cool! LOL

I am in the San Fernando Valley. It was only 100 today. I drive a Mitsubishi. It just does not like hot weather. Last year when it hit about 105, my car stalled as I was pulling into the Ralph's parking lot and wouldn't start again. We took it to the mechanic, who gave us some fancy-schmancy name for the problem and charged a bundle, only for it to happen again about a week later. :think During the winter, it didn't have a problem at all. Now it's happening again. The car has a mind of its own. :shrug

I couldn't imagine not having a/c in the house, though! Our a/c broke last year and I threw an awful fit to the building manager because she tried to give me the runaround about fixing it. After 2 days she replaced it, but those two days were terrible. I don't know how you do it!

I am in the San Fernando Valley. It was only 100 today. I drive a Mitsubishi. It just does not like hot weather. Last year when it hit about 105, my car stalled as I was pulling into the Ralph's parking lot and wouldn't start again. We took it to the mechanic, who gave us some fancy-schmancy name for the problem and charged a bundle, only for it to happen again about a week later. :think During the winter, it didn't have a problem at all. Now it's happening again. The car has a mind of its own. :shrug

I couldn't imagine not having a/c in the house, though! Our a/c broke last year and I threw an awful fit to the building manager because she tried to give me the runaround about fixing it. After 2 days she replaced it, but those two days were terrible. I don't know how you do it!

That's kind of what happens to us only it's roughly 115-117 here.

ALSO I am bumping this up because I really would like to make this special for them. These people have lost everything and really you might not believe it when we donated some last year there was actually some tears because they thought nobody cared about them. I'd like that to happen again. I want to over load them!!! LOL I think doing well for others is also doing well for yourself. Does anyone else think so?

I also wanted to thank the people who did offer help!!! :hug I just would like more help. I'm working on some too of course. Its so hard when it's so hot. The cooler just can't quite keep up with the heat LOL. My fault I guess, I moved here!

I have to agree with you...and doing for others gives such a great feeling! and I also know how it feels to be remembered when you feel like no one cares. (that's one of the reasons I joined in). I know, too, that if I was in the same situation (and that isn't too far from a possibility) I would want to know that I haven't been forgotten

i have some scrap yarn and would be glad to help make some lap ghans if you want me to. I have AC so I can handle the heat lol. pm me please I want to help.God Bless You for caring.

i have some scrap yarn and would be glad to help make some lap ghans if you want me to. I have AC so I can handle the heat lol. pm me please I want to help.God Bless You for caring.

That would be so great!!!! I wanted to do so but it's just too hot here to even try! I haven't been crocheting much at all since summer hit us. I have managed to make a few things though. PM me when you are ready and I'll give you my addy OK? Thanks so much. I wanted lapghans but I didn't want to ask for something so big you know what I mean? I didn't want to sound greedy. :hug

I've never made a stuffed toy, but I'm willing to give it a go. Pm me your address if they come out I'll send them on to you. I have some other commitments to finish taking care of then I'll devote some time to learning this art.

Archived