A sentimental t-shirt front - ideas???

shuttlebuggy

We in the East recently had a "gully washer" from half way in June till just a couple days ago when the front finally moved!

In the process - our well water changed a bit from the rising water table - even though it is cased deep, we are on a hill side and water rushed down our hill in buckets for about 4 days straight at one point!!!

So we had some "silting" occur in our water supply - and before it reached the sinks - it made it to the downstairs washing machine in the basement - when the whites came out of the dryer - we were :eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

And wouldn't you know my most favorite t-shirt that my dear old dad (who has passed) used to wear that I adopted and loved to wear - was full of silt stains - they WON'T come out - I tried!!!!

Miraculously it seems though - the silt did not stain the front - only the back - so I want you guys to help me brainstorm on what to salvage the front for - tote?, pillow? etccccc and :thinkbe specific on how you'd do whatever project you can think of!

I want crochet to fit in as my dear dad loved the fact I did - I think it used to have a calming affect - as he would let his eyelids get heavy and nap while I crocheted when I'd go over to visit - I took this as a compliment as my dad could be really anxious and high strung ;)

So the t-shirt front has all sorts of little liscense plates from everywhere as it a sampling of the ones at the Smithsonian - it says something at the top about the Smithsonian Museum of Art.

Thanks for any and all brainstorming with me on this and I will let you all know what I decide on in the end :yes:hug:yes

I have a shirt that was my father's and I decided to frame it and hang it on a wall in my craft room. ( I spend most of my time in that room) This way I will have it forever and I get to see it everyday.

I like the idea of a frame and may just do that - so it is preserved - but was thinking more functional too -dunno -

And the staining is all over the back - nothing would cover it as it is striped every which way with the silting stains - which are greyish purple - really gross looking!

I also made a purse out of a pair of his jeans. He was a big man so its a perfect size tote bag and the pockets are great for all the small stuff you carry. I gave this to my sister for her b-day (she quilts) or I would post a picture for you.

Could you make it the center of an afghan? Stitch it to some backing and crochet around it and make it as large as you want, using colors that would go with the license plates on the front of the shirt?

I have a t-shirt that is getting too old to wear, but I like the design on the front. I'm thinking of making a messenger bag, cutting out the design from the front of the shirt and stitching it on the flap of the messenger bag. Of course, I haven't done this yet, but that's my idea.

I don't know??:think But I think maybe I would make a "pillow" out of the whole t-shirt and put it on my bed, that way, when I went to bed or made up my bed in the a.m., I would think of my "daddy"!!:manyheart

One of my favorite shirts finally collapsed, but the design on the front held together (it's machine embroidery.) The fabric around it is really fragile, so it will have to be supported from behind. I cut out the design and need to get around to fusing it to some Pellon so it can become the pocket for my new crochet tote.

One of my favorite shirts finally collapsed, but the design on the front held together (it's machine embroidery.) The fabric around it is really fragile, so it will have to be supported from behind. I cut out the design and need to get around to fusing it to some Pellon so it can become the pocket for my new crochet tote.

YOU ALL are so creative and I am going to save many of your ideas - I like the framing it idea, the pillow idea, piecing it with a piece of cloting of my mom's and my dd's (baby/youth) clothes, and this idea of Becky's sounds really good too!

I am thinking maybe use some crochet cotton (peaches and cream) in the same faded color combo that predominates the liscence plate design - I have the tote pattern - but ummmmmm.....guess I will need to check thru my Peaches and cream to see what I have on hand - if not - I will just have to go shopping :D:D:D:D

Thank you to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived