Potholder CAL, anyone?

Gran

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite pleased with the one I'm mailing. It was my first attempt at making two sides match together.

That's the hardest part!:lol

Can I join? I want to make a couple for my mom...I made her a set of dishcloths, and I thought some matching potholders would be nice...I will use this pattern:

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/diagonal_hotpad.htm

That's a nice pattern....I was ROAK'd wit one like this.

I just whipped one up out of thread...3 strands held together - I am washing it to see what happens...if it gets distorted, I will try some yarn. What do you ladies use? Peaches & Creme seemed too thick...

P&C is what I use for practical potholders/hotpads. I made mine, though, out of acrylic sicne they'll be used for decorative purposes.Acrylic melts in high heat and then hardens:(

Heather, the three-stranded thread sounds lovely. I've only used worsted weight cotton so far. I made squares of single stitch, and joined them at the edges using two rows of single stitch. I used a size G hook so that the stitches would be dense, for safety.

I've started with one with double-strand of size 3 thread, JP Coats Royale. Even though I like the way it looks, I'm thinking that the thickness of the worsted weight cotton is just a better weight for reaching for and holding hot things. I may frog the thread one.

Heather, the three-stranded thread sounds lovely. I've only used worsted weight cotton so far. I made squares of single stitch, and joined them at the edges using two rows of single stitch. I used a size G hook so that the stitches would be dense, for safety.

I've started with one with double-strand of size 3 thread, JP Coats Royale. Even though I like the way it looks, I'm thinking that the thickness of the worsted weight cotton is just a better weight for reaching for and holding hot things. I may frog the thread one.

I think you may be right...I think I may need a bit more thickness.

Well, I washed it and dried it, and I think it will be okay. The only thing I would do differently is to make it a bit larger...It shrunk a bit. I also like the idea of crocheting two squares, and joining them together...I think I might end up making a few different styles.

I have two small, very pretty thread potholders, which were made in the 1970s. They were made using patterns from an earlier era. They are so lovely, and both are two pieces joined together. Even with double thickness and a dense stitch, they aren't practical. The single strand, size 10? thread, is lovely, but I think they would be better hanging on the wall to look beautiful.

When I need to reach for something hot, I want to know that the potholder will be sturdy, protective, non-slip, etc.

I use very serious trivets underneath hot things on the table. Wood, iron with legs, that sort of thing. Some years ago, I damaged a beautiful, inlaid wooden tray by only using a potholder underneath a teapot. The heat from the teapot ruined the finish on the wood and part of the inlay was ruined. A costly and sad mistake.

Here's a completed potholder- from the Ultimate Book of Pot Holders.

Need to brush up on the sewing skills but useful nonetheless-

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

Would you believe I've been searching the internet for the past couple of weeks looking for simple, and/or basic, potholders - for gifts. Plus I need some for myself. I just saw this CAL! I'm in. Thanks!!!

bailey

I made one hot pad and one potholder. A small start, but I'm happy. The potholder pattern had a lot of errors and it took me a long time to figure it out - shouldn't have, but it did.:think

I made one hot pad and one potholder. A small start, but I'm happy. The potholder pattern had a lot of errors and it took me a long time to figure it out - shouldn't have, but it did.:think

Practice makes perfect:hook

I have another potholder for your viewing pleasure, it's from the Ultimate Book of Potholders-

I must get to a couple of lapghans and finish a ripple so I am counting on you all to post some cute potholders to hold me over until I can return to the cotton bag. :hook

IMG_2116.jpg?t=1251003776

I do think potholders are nice projects. So easy to hold. I'm concentrating on ones that will get put to hard use. I do like to look at the decorative ones. It'd be nice to see a whole wall full of them, such as at a museum exhibition.

I'm still working on my potholders for Christmas projects. Single stitch, two pieces, joined with single stitch, and a few rows of edging.

Shelley, your potholder dress is a good one. Will you hang it on the wall?

I have another potholder for your viewing pleasure, it's from the Ultimate Book of Potholders-

I must get to a couple of lapghans and finish a ripple so I am counting on you all to post some cute potholders to hold me over until I can return to the cotton bag. :hook

IMG_2116.jpg?t=1251003776

Too cute!:clap

I do think potholders are nice projects. So easy to hold. I'm concentrating on ones that will get put to hard use. I do like to look at the decorative ones. It'd be nice to see a whole wall full of them, such as at a museum exhibition.

I'm still working on my potholders for Christmas projects. Single stitch, two pieces, joined with single stitch, and a few rows of edging.

Shelley, your potholder dress is a good one. Will you hang it on the wall?

Hi Gran,

I agree potholders are nice projects, they finish up so quickly and are practical. But since I have just learned the joys of homemade potholders I am on a kitsch kick. I really should make some practical potholders to use. :lol

I will pawn the dress off on someone else and let them try to figure out what to do with it. :rofl

I will get back to this thread with a few basic potholders once I finish a couple things I have going. Just want everyone to know, no matter how simple, basic, silly or strange you may think your creation is, I want to see a picture :photo of it. I am loving all potholders right now. :yes

Unfortunately I can't post pictures. Should I still post/list finished ones?

I prefer practical pot holders, prefer to do in the round (rather than rows).

Pot holders so far have not been quick and easy for me - I'm sure I can make a hat quicker! :(

I have been stash busting by making 11x13 "trivets" with four strand of acrylic yarn. I have only done rectangles so far, and plan on giving them as Christmas gifts. My plan for the next month, while job searching is to create some new designs. A sunflower trivet, potholders that when stacked look like a hamburger with fixin's, trivets that look like a slice of bacon and two eggs, I think I can do it. :crocheting

Archived