Momcrochets

Some dyed threads :) (image heavy)

I finally got a day to dye some threads. Each hank was a full ball of Aunt Lydia's bamboo. Of course, I had to promise DS and DD a "tie-dye" party someday (when I'll either not dye anything, or wait till they are done :P) so that I can help them. ;)

The Blue and Lavender one, and the Twilight Rose colored one, I used spray bottles to spritz the color on. The darker pink one, I attempted a dip-dye, shading effect. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but there is some shading, albeit very subtle.

post-7396-135897423757_thumb.jpg

post-7396-135897423772_thumb.jpg

I played at mixing all sorts of colors for this one. ;)

post-7396-135897423788_thumb.jpg

My dip-dye attempt

post-7396-135897423815_thumb.jpg

(this one shows the whole lavender and blue skein better)

Thank you, tonyal. It's fun and addictive. I use cotton yarns/threads (and bamboo) with fabric dye (like the tie dye kits...but I prefer dylon brand)...there's lots on here from others who've dyed wool with kool-aid, too. I'm allergic to wool, so I won't be trying that I'm afraid.

Dye-ing is a lot of fun, I think. It's kind of a jump-in-and-try-it thing.

Those are beautiful!

I tried to dye wool once, using a crock pot and food coloring. It worked okay, but I would love to try your spray bottle technique.

These are lovely! I can't tell which is my favorite but I do know I always like subtle color variations — they can add so much richness and depth to a finished product. So what do you plan to crochet with them, Mom?

Thank you everyone! :c9:)

I have no idea what I'm going to make with them, yet, Carla. :lol

But they're so much fun to make! and being thread....:drool...maybe bookmarks, maybe more teddy bears, maybe something else. I may try a smaller (300yards or less) doily with the darker pink one.

"spray painting" threads is so much fun! ;)

Melissa, I've never tried wool..I know you're supposed to be able to dye it with kool aid, and food coloring (hey, it stains clothing!) but I wouldn't know how. I'm allergic. :P

Thank you everyone! :c9:)

I have no idea what I'm going to make with them, yet, Carla. :lol

But they're so much fun to make! and being thread....:drool...maybe bookmarks, maybe more teddy bears, maybe something else. I may try a smaller (300yards or less) doily with the darker pink one.

"spray painting" threads is so much fun! ;)

Melissa, I've never tried wool..I know you're supposed to be able to dye it with kool aid, and food coloring (hey, it stains clothing!) but I wouldn't know how. I'm allergic. :P

I've never tried thread, either. I get my yarn from goodwill/ sal val and yard sales, and sometimes there is a skein of wool or some thread mixed in. It took a long time, since I am not patient, and it had to soak in warm vinegar forever. I haven't used it yet, but I want to try felting, and I have a small amount of thin wool stockpiled from my yarn grab bags over the last year. I made it a lemon/lime color.

And used up all my food coloring.