Knit-look Ribbed Hat

amydepew

Here's a free pattern for y'all! I can't knit to save my life, but I wanted a hat that looked as if it had been knitted. So, I came up with this! I sell this hat in its finished form on my Etsy shop, but I don't think it's a big deal for you to make it and sell it. Afterall, how can you really copywrite rounds and rounds of the same stitch? LOL!

Anyway, enjoy! It should be pretty easy, but PM me if you have questions. I attached a pic of how it should look when finished. It's great for men or women. I also included instructions for the child's size.

Adult?s Version

Approximately 3.5 oz WW yarn; G, H or I (if you crochet tightly like I do) hook

Note: beginning chain does not count as a stitch and should be ignored throughout hat, unless otherwise instructed. Also, hat circle will seem floppy at first, but after several rows, the hat will take shape. This is a great pattern to use up scrap yarn as you can add stripes and works great for men.

Chain 4, create ring

Row 1: Chain 2 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring, sl st to close circle (12 dc)

Row 2: Chain 2, 2 fpdc into chain stitch below and in each stitch around, sl st to first fpdc to close circle (24 fpdc)

Row 3: Chain 2, *2 fpdc into first fpdc of row below, dc in between fpdc and next fpdc, fpdc into next fpdc of row below, dc in between fpdc and next fpdc* - repeat until the end of the circle, sl st to top of first fpdc (36 fpdc, 24 dc)

Row 4: Chain 2, *fpdc into first fpdc of row below, dc in between fpdc and next fpdc, fpdc into next fpdc of row below, dc in dc* - repeat until the end of the circle, sl st to top of first fpdc (36 fpdc, 36 dc)

Row 5: Chain 2, *fpdc into each fpdc, bpdc into each dc* - repeat until end of circle, sl st to top of first fpdc (36 fpdc, 36 bpdc)

Row 6 to finish ? continue Row 5 until hat reaches desired length.

Child?s Version

Use I or J hook, depending on the size you want, or how tightly you crochet

Chain 4, create ring

Row 1: Chain 2 (counts as dc), 11 dc in ring, sl st to close circle (12 dc)

Row 2: Chain 2, 2 fpdc into chain stitch below and in each stitch around, sl st to first fpdc to close circle (24 fpdc)

Row 3: Chain 2, *fpdc into first fpdc of row below, dc in between fpdc and next fpdc, fpdc into next fpdc of row below, dc in between fpdc and next fpdc * - repeat until the end of the circle, sl st to top of first fpdc (24 fpdc, 24 dc)

Row 4: Chain 2, *fpdc into each fpdc, bpdc into each dc* - repeat until end of circle, sl st to top of first fpdc (24 fpdc, 24 bpdc)

Row 5 to finish ? continue Row 5 until hat reaches desired length.

Here's how it should look...if I've made up the pattern correctly...oh, and I included a pic of a child's hat. Hope you like it!

post-18179-135897423363_thumb.jpg

post-18179-135897423368_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great hats!!! Love them both. Thanks for sharing the pattern - I printed it and plan to use it in the future.

• 1 year later...

I just started crocheting again (haven't since I was a little girl at Grandma's - like 35 years ago!), and wanted to make a hat for my brother. Just wanted to thank you for this pattern. It turned out really great & your instructions were so easy to follow! I'll definitely use this pattern often! Thanks so much!!!

I just started crocheting again (haven't since I was a little girl at Grandma's - like 35 years ago!), and wanted to make a hat for my brother. Just wanted to thank you for this pattern. It turned out really great & your instructions were so easy to follow! I'll definitely use this pattern often! Thanks so much!!!

So glad you liked it! And welcome back to the wonderful world of crochet! :clap

Ohhh, I love this pattern although I've never tried that stitch before. It will be fun to learn something new. I just bought a bunch of Caron Simply Soft yarn to make chemo caps. (It was on sale and I promised my hubby I won't go crazy. But I did go crazy as I bought 14 different colors and 3 skeins of each color. The 6oz skeins. But I will need something to stay busy with while I am receiving my chemo treatments which are to begin real soon. Probably the end of January and it will take 3 1/2 hours for each treatment. I will receive 6 treatments - administered 3 weeks apart.) I already have a couple of patterns I was going to use to make the chemo caps but will be adding your pattern also. I am either going to donate the caps to where I am to receive my treatments or to the American Cancer Society. So thank you very much for sharing your pattern.

Archived