Donations needed for Cancer Patients

Jempast

I am sure that your life has been affected by cancer in one way or another. Perhaps a loved one had cancer. If so then you know how hard cancer can be on the patient & on the patient's family/friends. In case you don't know anyone who has had some type of cancer here is a brief description of what my husband went through with his cancer.

My husband & I got married August 22, 2006 and February 2007 he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and he was given a 57% chance of living. He was 33 at the time. We were also newlyweds we had been married less than a year. His skin was yellowish, he was skin & bones (hardly any weight on his body he was so thin).

He had very intense chemotherapy at a place called the Hope Center. Which is named correctly I think. The Hope Center saved his life. He had chemo therapy 5 days a week 6 hours a day. When he would come home he would throw up, he lost all of his hair, he had no energy, and he would always be freezing cold.

He would end up in the hospital every 3 weeks (3 times he went into the hospital because he had no immune system). He did not have energy for things he enjoyed.

He would get blood clots & have to give himself daily shots (blood thinners) to prevent blood clots.

I am very grateful for the doctor who saved his life. The staff at the Hope Center is really kind & caring. I want to be able to give something back to the doctors office.

There are some patients there receiving chemotherapy that don't have any family with them. I felt so sad & so sorry for those people. They would usually take naps while having chemotherapy. They also cover up in blankets provided by the doctors office.

So I would like help in donating prayer shawls, caps & lapghans to these patients.

The nurses at the infusion center told me that they loved getting crocheted items to give to patients.

If you would like to help me in this mission I would gladly accept any of the following items:

Caps

Scarves

Lapghans

Afghans

Prayer Shawls

12" Squares

8" Squares

Homespun Yarn so I can make Prayer Shawls

This is an on going charity project. If you are interested in helping me please either PM or email me for my address.

Thanks in Advance! :hug

Hi Crystal,

I first want to THANK YOU for doing this. My SIL is enduring the long treatments for rectal cancer, the course of the treatments is a YEAR, and that is if there are no complications. So THANK YOU, yes, there are many who dont have family, and it is heartwrentching to say the leaste.

I don't have any stash to give you or work on at the moment but I am hopeful I will get some yarn, as with my Lupus treatments cost me ALL of my money and some, not to mention the medicines, I take 34 pills a day now to sustain my life where it is...anyways, I dont want to bog this down with me...sorry,.what I want to know is, do you have sizes in mind for the lapghans? If and when I get some yarn I would love to make a lapghan, I just would like to know how big to make it please.

I am sure you will get lots of help here too, as CANCER has afflicted many if not all of us in one way or another. So I would be proud to help you get this off the ground! I am working with the travling hook now, as I set aside the yarn for that project, what is left I will make a couple caps for you out of it.

HUGS and HOOKS

JoAnn

The lapghans just need to be long enough to cover the patients legs & arms or their laps & arms. They get really cold during the therapy and they like to take naps during therapy as well. So really any size lapghan you want to do will be of help.

• 3 weeks later...
I am sure that your life has been affected by cancer in one way or another. Perhaps a loved one had cancer. If so then you know how hard cancer can be on the patient & on the patient's family/friends. In case you don't know anyone who has had some type of cancer here is a brief description of what my husband went through with his cancer.

My husband & I got married August 22, 2006 and February 2007 he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and he was given a 57% chance of living. He was 33 at the time. We were also newlyweds we had been married less than a year. His skin was yellowish, he was skin & bones (hardly any weight on his body he was so thin).

He had very intense chemotherapy at a place called the Hope Center. Which is named correctly I think. The Hope Center saved his life. He had chemo therapy 5 days a week 6 hours a day. When he would come home he would throw up, he lost all of his hair, he had no energy, and he would always be freezing cold.

He would end up in the hospital every 3 weeks (3 times he went into the hospital because he had no immune system). He did not have energy for things he enjoyed.

He would get blood clots & have to give himself daily shots (blood thinners) to prevent blood clots.

I am very grateful for the doctor who saved his life. The staff at the Hope Center is really kind & caring. I want to be able to give something back to the doctors office.

There are some patients there receiving chemotherapy that don't have any family with them. I felt so sad & so sorry for those people. They would usually take naps while having chemotherapy. They also cover up in blankets provided by the doctors office.

So I would like help in donating prayer shawls, caps & lapghans to these patients.

The nurses at the infusion center told me that they loved getting crocheted items to give to patients.

If you would like to help me in this mission I would gladly accept any of the following items:

Caps

Scarves

Lapghans

Afghans

Prayer Shawls

12" Squares

8" Squares

Homespun Yarn so I can make Prayer Shawls

This is an on going charity project. If you are interested in helping me please either PM or email me for my address.

Thanks in Advance! :hug

I just saw your request. I have some other commitments I need to get finished and sent out and then I'm on this one. I lost my dad, my sister and my mom to cancer. So as you can see this is close to my heart. I also think I have some homespun yarn in storage somewhere I can send to you. I have trouble crocheting with it, but was saving it for something special to try and do with it. (It is so soft.) I think this qualifies as that "something" special and it sounds as if you have no problems using it. It may be a few weeks before I can locate it though.

I just saw your request. I have some other commitments I need to get finished and sent out and then I'm on this one. I lost my dad, my sister and my mom to cancer. So as you can see this is close to my heart. I also think I have some homespun yarn in storage somewhere I can send to you. I have trouble crocheting with it, but was saving it for something special to try and do with it. (It is so soft.) I think this qualifies as that "something" special and it sounds as if you have no problems using it. It may be a few weeks before I can locate it though.

Thank you! I sent you a PM.

Archived