Yarn Knots

Nanners

:clapHi everyone. It has been a while. Went down to south America for about a month. It was great, but I am so glad to be home:yay I started working on an afghan, but I was realy getting angry with it and put it away. The more I thought about it. It was the stupid yarn

knotting. I would get one knot out and than get into another.

I was planning on giving it to my sister for her birthday, but now it's only a week away. I am realy tempted to contact the yarn company. I really feel that no one should have to take their stupid knots out. This seems to happen every time I start a project.

Do you guys have any idea on what I should do:think

Are they actually knots?! I sometimes get yarn "barfs", which are just clumps of yarn that come from the center of the skein, but not actually a tied knot! I think I'd call or email the company if they are actual knots--this shouldn't happen!!!

Let us know what you hear from them!

Collette

Welcome to "the ville". :clap

I usually cut out any knots I find in my yarn and just join the fresh end back into the project. I don't like knots either. But luckily, it does not happen all that often to me. Good luck! :hug

All I can do is commiserate! :hug

I was working on the top to a dress the other day and came to a knot that would have been right in front and in the way....so first I cursed the yarn company, then I stopped, cut the yarn, and started over. Meanwhile DD started fiddling with the yarn and said, "Look - this isn't a knot! It's just some extra yarn tied on." :sigh So it was just a blip - I didn't need to start over at all. I learned from that to try to undo whatever knot I come across before I make any rash decisions about whether to start over or continue on....It was literally some extra yarn tied around the existing strand. It looked exactly like they'd knotted two pieces together and continued with the skein....but they didn't. And I had to remake about 12 rows of a dress top because I didn't want the imaginary knot in the front. :(

I feel your pain! :P

Hello! I'm also new. I never really understand when anyone complains about knots. I love them! Especially in yarn. Call me crazy but I do. There is something very calming about the process of slowing untangling a knot that sooths me. I find myself thinking about the other "knots" in my life: a bad day at school, an argument with my parents, another day trying to find work but failing. I find myself thinking about these problems while trying to the undue the knot, taking the time to breath deep and think carefully view both the problem in the yarn in front of me and the problem or "knotty" situation in my life. I view them both from different angles carefully loosening the yarn and the stress or anger of my mind...every knows that anger just makes knots worse, no matter where they are. Then I begin to unwind the knot in my hands carefully, studiously, letting each strand represent a different view point in the situation, I find myself working out solutions to my problems as the knots in my yarn become unknotted. Often finding that more often then not the knot is not a knot a knot at all but rather just yarn that got twisted around itself (to borrow someone elses term) a barf if you will. When the knot is finally unknotted in my hands, I find myself smiling with a solution to the knot in my life...finding that it two was no more then entangle emotions emeshed with one another until they just look like a knot but simply needed a little untwining to see the problem clearly. I find myself thinking...wow I could untie that knot...why can't I fix my problem? Then I wind the extra yarn around my skein, go back to my project, and just like that the vision is gone...but I am much calmer, saner, and clearer sighted for the knot. So go ahead...call me crazy, I love knots!

I find that a calm relaxed unstressed mood is the best way to approach knots. As I said earlier, frustration, tensions, anger just make a knot worse. Take the time to loosen a knot, give it time to reveal itself as a barf...rather then a knot.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope it does and Welcome!

If it's a knot where the yarn looks cut and tied, I HATE THAT. If it's a knot that I can untangle, then it's not too bad. Not my favorite thing, but at least it's not too bad. I got lucky one a cone of cotton yarn and crocheted an entire skirt without a knot and about 12 inches later, there was the first cut knot.

I have't had too much trouble with knots in yarn, so maybe try a different brand or color or wait. It could be a batch they had trouble with on that skien.

I remember when I first began to crochet, which wasn’t that long ago, one of the books I checked out at the library suggested manufacturers some times join yarn within a skein with knots, and, if I recall correctly,--and that’s not always the case—that a certain number per skein was acceptable. I didn’t buy it then and I don’t today, Welcome back.—John Hablinski Corpus Christi, Texas

Oh to be so mangled up in tangled up knots -I feel for ya, Nanners! I've had an occasional project, myself, where it seemed like more skeins than not coughed out a snarly 'hairball' early on, causing me to momentarily abandon my project to set things straight. No fun, that's for sure, but most likely a fluke perhaps due to a hiccup on the production line(?). If you don't have enough of your sister-gift done to make deadline, perhaps you could whip up a matching pillow or pair of slippers, tucked with the promise of an afghan to come? Anyway, best wishes and welcome to Crochetville!

Archived