Begin to Knit?

Heeeeeyyy Crocheters/Knitters....

I wanna learn how to knit, so basically I'll be teaching myself.. haha.. and I was wondering what the best size or sizes to learn to knit would be. I don't know much about knitting and all that jazz, so I just wondering what would be the best things to buy to teach myself. Like, for someone learning to crochet, I'd recommend G and H.

Thanks a bunch!

I tried to teach myself to knit last winter -- it was a mess!!! Check out your LYS and see if they have any classes, it's way more confusing than crochet, at least for me anyway. :)

My poor long-suffering mother attempted to teach me to knit when I was little... :lol

I managed to learn for real by taking a class at my local Michaels. They had us pick out a skein of worsted weight yarn we liked and a pair of size 8 (5.00 mm) needles. The class and the materials were fairly cheap and it got me going with knitting!

I would also recommend size 8 needles and worsted weight yarn. It is easier to see the stitches.

As for teaching yourself, I am a self-taught knitter and I recently taught myself how to knit socks using double pointed needles. I would personally recommend picking up Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook. She does a great job explaining things IMHO and there are pictures.

Your other avenue for teaching yourself is to look up some titles on Amazon and then read customer reviews. That is how I chose the book I bought to learn to knit socks, and it worked well. I am on my third pair of socks at the moment.

If you decide to go to a store and learn that way, I would still pick up a book as a reference. My problem is always that I will have the hang of it while with someone, get home and promptly run into trouble. Having the book as a reference would be very helpful.

Hope that helps.

I learned how to knit before I learned crocheting. I took a class in school way too many years ago. I don't use it though. I remember but I struggle to do the stitches. I guess my brain just prefers crocheting. It is so much easier for me to finish something with crochet.

See if your library has any of the learn to knit books and videos that are out there. Some are really good.

And also, see if your park district or community college or library has any knitting classes. It can really help you along the way in your quest to learn knitting.

Good luck.

The other thing you can do, too, is to search YouTube for demonstrations of different stitches or find some sort of other stitch videos (I believe Annie's Attic has something like this for knitting and crocheting). It helps to watch the stitch being made over and over again. This is how I FINALLY figured out how to do the treble crochet stitch.

i learned many years ago by using a how to booklet,

worsted weight yarn, and size 10 needles - one needle

colored red and one needle colored green so i that i

would know which row i was on.

this thread brings to mind a lot of good memories. :h5

The other thing you can do, too, is to search YouTube for demonstrations of different stitches or find some sort of other stitch videos (I believe Annie's Attic has something like this for knitting and crocheting). It helps to watch the stitch being made over and over again. This is how I FINALLY figured out how to do the treble crochet stitch.

Knitpicks also has videos on their website to help learn how to knit. Good luck in learning. It's just amazing what crafters can accomplish. Never stop learning.

:manyheart

I would also recommend size 8 needles and worsted weight yarn. It is easier to see the stitches.

As for teaching yourself, I am a self-taught knitter and I recently taught myself how to knit socks using double pointed needles. I would personally recommend picking up Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook. She does a great job explaining things IMHO and there are pictures.

Your other avenue for teaching yourself is to look up some titles on Amazon and then read customer reviews. That is how I chose the book I bought to learn to knit socks, and it worked well. I am on my third pair of socks at the moment.

If you decide to go to a store and learn that way, I would still pick up a book as a reference. My problem is always that I will have the hang of it while with someone, get home and promptly run into trouble. Having the book as a reference would be very helpful.

Hope that helps.

I already told my mom that I want the stitch and bitch book. Haha. I have the crochet one already :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna try to get on that soon. :-) There's just too many things out there for sale that are knitted for me not to jump on it.

I had tried to learn to knit for nearly 30 yrs. I tried self teaching, asking others, watching videos, etc. Somehow it just would not click w/ me, and felt like my hands were fighting themselves.

Recently, however, my local parks and rec offered a "learn to knit" class for 50 and older. I called about the class, even though Im only 40, and they DID make me wait till the last moment to sign up (which was fine, i understood i didnt fit the demographics) but I have FINALLY learnt to knit.

Let me tell you how my teacher is breaking the classes down for us, and that may help you to focus your learning so you don't overdue it (which was always 1 of my problems).

My teacher started us out w/ size 13 needles making a skinny scarf, by casting on 13 stitches. Her idea was "size needle/number stitches are the same, so easier for newbies to remember how many stitches are suppose to be on it").

The 1st class was learning to cast on, then learning the knit stitch. THATS IT!. (so the suggestion is to learn 1 part, not try to learn all parts, so as to not overwhelm yourself).

The 2nd class, we learnt to bind-off the knit/garter scarf, and then to do the purl stitch.

we just had our 3rd class last week, and we are making a hat using 2 strands and/or fun fur and started on size 11 needles before going back to the size 13 needles. by this, i dont mean circular knitting, but the decreases at the top, and then sewing tog down side.

next class is suppose to be w/ size 8 needles (or just use the size 11 if we don't want to buy more needles) to do a dishcloth pattern that can also double as a baby ghan pattern (the babyghan would use the size 11 needles).

Hope this helps you and that you have tons of fun learning to knit :)

Sandy

Check out the learn to knit videos on youtube. Lots of beginning knitting starting with casting on. Every time I forget something I head there. Some videos are better than others but they really help. (IMHO) :yes

I started to teach myself to knit. I bought several books. The best help I have had is the tutorals on youtube. It made all the difference watching the tutorals. I am now making a poncho. I have been knitting two weeks.

My teacher started us out w/ size 13 needles making a skinny scarf, by casting on 13 stitches. Her idea was "size needle/number stitches are the same, so easier for newbies to remember how many stitches are suppose to be on it").

The 1st class was learning to cast on, then learning the knit stitch. THATS IT!. (so the suggestion is to learn 1 part, not try to learn all parts, so as to not overwhelm yourself).

The 2nd class, we learnt to bind-off the knit/garter scarf, and then to do the purl stitch.

That is how I learned as well, though from a book rather than a class. I did all of the "beginner" projects which meant a garter scarf, and then a ribbed scarf to practice purling and knitting together. Sometimes it is hard to do the beginner projects because they may not be something you are interested in (I wanted to knit socks, not another scarf), but in the end it was worth it because I really learned how to knit. And, now I am knitting socks. It was worth the time and effort to go slow and do those early projects.

The SnB book teaches you like this, with a couple of small beginner projects to practice new skills.

i have to admit that I have never quite gotten the "Knitting is too hard" bit.

Granted I learned as a child when it was just assumed that you would learn to do these housewifely things so that might affect my view of it all. I absolutely concede that it is more bother than crochet and slower but I don't understand why it is so difficult to learn at least a garter stitch.

After I learned knit and purl (My 11 year old friend taught me when I was 10) I got books at the library and learned all kinds of other stuff.

OK, I have been gifted with this talent for sewing, crochet, knitting, needlepoint and such so maybe I am not understanding the extra mile it takes when God has given you some other talent... like singing :applause But it is just about pulling yarn through yarn... just like crochet. :shrug

Could someone explain why knitting is so challenging? I really am curious about this. :think

I don’t want to rain on your parade. To do that would go against the very fiber of “Crochetville”. I tried to teach myself to knit before I learned to crochet, and yes I did produce something that could be called knitting, but what I came away with, from that endeavor was, either I was a bad student or a poor teacher. But, I wish you every success. John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas

i have to admit that I have never quite gotten the "Knitting is too hard" bit.

Granted I learned as a child when it was just assumed that you would learn to do these housewifely things so that might affect my view of it all. I absolutely concede that it is more bother than crochet and slower but I don't understand why it is so difficult to learn at least a garter stitch.

After I learned knit and purl (My 11 year old friend taught me when I was 10) I got books at the library and learned all kinds of other stuff.

OK, I have been gifted with this talent for sewing, crochet, knitting, needlepoint and such so maybe I am not understanding the extra mile it takes when God has given you some other talent... like singing :applause But it is just about pulling yarn through yarn... just like crochet. :shrug

Could someone explain why knitting is so challenging? I really am curious about this. :think

I think it is the whole two-handed thing. I know that you use two hands to crochet, but I just use the left one to guide yarn and keep tension...the right one is still doing all the work. With knitting, I feel that both hands have to work well together. Granted, I keep tension with my right hand (I guess English style) when knitting, but you still have to manipulate the left needle, or at least I do. If you are strongly right-handed (which I am not, being ambidextrous), I think that it is harder to figure out what to do with the left hand, and thus knitting is more difficult. I don't think it is the stitches...I think it is the having to use both hands actively.

Just my humble opinion, though.

I think the answer to your question will vary from person to person. I can only give my situation, thought, as a possibility.

Honestly, I am not 100% sure why I had so much difficulty learning. I sew, crochet, embroider,plastic canvas, etc along w/ scroll sawing, what I call "scrimsawing marble" (scrap pieces of marble, granite etc countertops that I can pick up for free, I will carve picts into them and cause a scrimsaw effect, and use them as hotplates, etc).

It could be that since I do know all the other stuff, I was trying to go too fast w/ absorbing the info/knowledge (which was why I posted the teachers method of breaking it down ) and thusly not letting my hands learn how to work in that new and strange way.

It could be where I am screwed up neurolinquistically (some folks learn by seeing, others by doing, and yet others by hearing; I am 1 who floats between all 3 at various times, so 1 method works for 1 technique, another method works for learning something else, etc...and I never know which method I am "in" at the moment of trying to learn, so sometimes i learn quick other times much slower on very easy things).

I just prefer to say that I learnt to knit when i was suppose to do it, and that is why previous attempts failed. :D

Just some ideas,:)

Sandy

I just wanted to second the www.knittinghelp.com suggestion. The videos are great. My knitting teacher suggested them as the best online, and they do make a lot of sense to me.

Another thing I noticed about knitting is that the needles make a big difference. More than I thought they would. I have become a needle snob, and won't buy the boye needles. For me it is good bamboo needles, addi turbos, or I have one circular susan bates quick silver needle that I love. That is odd for me because I love the boye crochet hooks, and use them almost exclusively.

I learned to knit in a knitting 4-H group when I was around 6 or 7. We all received an instruction book, size 8 needles and the book was something like 'learning to knit' and the pattern we learned on was mittens with a cable on the front side of it.

In remembering back, everyone (about a group of 15 girls) didn't have any major problems. We had one leader. She was a fantastic teacher for learning to knit.

PS. I still have the book!

I learned to knit in a knitting 4-H group when I was around 6 or 7. We all received an instruction book, size 8 needles and the book was something like 'learning to knit' and the pattern we learned on was mittens with a cable on the front side of it.

In remembering back, everyone (about a group of 15 girls) didn't have any major problems. We had one leader. She was a fantastic teacher for learning to knit.

PS. I still have the book!

I am going to take leap of faith here and assume the book had instructions for other items as well. I think this is fantastic. Instead of just giving a sheet with one pattern, you were given a bunch of patterns with the premise that you were learning a skill and this is one place to do more of what you have begun. I think there is something in building a level of expectation for learners that we miss in our spoon feeding world.

I once taught a 4H sewing club and I really liked their POV. they were building future women and just kept adding bricks to the foundation with each club studied.

Archived