help with a freeform stitch.

chrissie3663

hi everyone from a new-comer,

i'd just discovered freeform when i came upon this remarkable woman and her work and now can't rest until i know how she does the surface sculptural embellishments. please oh please would someone go to:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madame_ulani/

and tell me how on earth to create those wonderful shapes apparently on the surface of the work. i'd also be interested to know what thread you think she's using and if it looks like the equivalent of DK wool. i figured it might be mercerised cotton but it's only a guess.

may i also take this opportunity of recommending the book which originally fired my imagination: Freeform Crochet and Beyond (Milner Craft (Paperback)) (Paperback) by Renate Kirkpatrick - it's on amazon.

will await eagerly someone's conclusions. thanks so much for any help.

chrissie

well, i can't say how disappointed i am not to have had a single response to my enquiry. could it be because no-one actually knows the answer?!! that would be quite funny and would make the subject matter truly unique.

chrissie, still asking the question.

Hi Chrissie, and welcome to the Ville:hook

Are you asking about the wavy raised parts on the violet necklace and grey choker? That is a form of surface embellishment where you double crochet (US term) perpendicular to the surface. It's often called "wiggly crochet". One common application is to crochet a mesh, like filet crochet, and then do the wiggles or ruffles onto the mesh, creating geometric shapes. here is a thread with some info http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99065&highlight=wiggly

the embellishment in the flickr photos is probably done onto a solid crochet background rather than mesh. I'd guess the material is size 10 cotton thread, or smaller. Looks much smaller than dk to me and appears to be cotton (or silk or linen possibly) not wool.

hi kathy,

a thousand thank yous for your message - it's as i suspected and i'd had a try at 'wiggling' on the surface of a treble patch but wasn't happy with the result, but then i was using DK wool! i haven't seen this technique anywhere else and am quite enchanted by the effect this lady gets in her work.

so you reckon i've got to go smaller and i agree, the thread used here is definitely not wool but something smooth and shiny so that's what i'll do. while you're there, do you happen to know how to crochet the tube part of the necklace? i'm not succeeding with that either!!

thanks again for your help, chrissie

Hi Chrissie, glad I could help:hook as far as the necklace, I imagine it is basically a tube, again done with small thread. you might look at crocheted jewelry books for ideas. There are instructions around for crocheted "rope" necklaces that include beads; not sure if the instructions would be the same if you aren't using beads.

Happy crocheting!

Archived