Mesh to measurement ratio in filet

GreenFuzzer

I am finally pushing the envelope with myself and working with thread. Well for now it is size 10 and I have found I am starting to get comfortable with a steel hook that the only size markings on it say "7" on one side and "Japan" on the other, the shaft is nice so I want to use it. It looks comparable to a Boye 10/1.30.

Now that I have told you what I am using what I am doing is trying to filet crochet. I have the basics but now I'm trying to get my mesh to size correctly as far as one mesh high equaling one mesh wide. Using the above supplies I have finally got a mesh to look even to me if I use an extended double crochet and the dc, 2 ch, dc style of filet. In getting this I have found that my mesh ratio seems to be 3 mesh to 1" (2.5cm) and 3 rows to 1" (2.5cm). How does this compare to the normal? Or is there such a thing as a normal?

I would love to use dc in the filet but to do that I would have to change to the dc, ch, dc style of filet and I don't feel for the projects that I want to do right now that will give an open enough mesh in those areas. Do you have any suggestions what I would need to do to accomplish that ration?

Thank you for any and all assistance you can give me.

most meshes are dc 2 ch dc. I've found from taking the filet class, that if you replace the dc with edc, it'll actually square and not squished. So your open mesh would be edc 2 ch edc.

Make sense?

Have you thought about using a larger hook size than a 7 like a 6 or 5? As the number gets smaller the head of the hook is bigger. Also you might want to consider that the pattern you use will state a hook size and give you a gauge. If you want to be able to use the dc stitch you might have to go up or down a hook size. Depending on what you are doing the gauge might be important. As for a ratio, I am not sure because I have only done a few filet patterns. What I have done fits the criteria for the pattern used.

The hook size won't make your mesh squarer, use what's appropriate for the thread and what 'feels good'. I've used up to a 1.3 mm, or size 10, hook with #10 thread and it is tight but workable; somewhere between 1.8mm and 1.6mm (size 6-8) is more commonly referenced in patterns.

The problem that I have (and I'm not alone) is that I make 'squatty' DCs. My DC is not as tall as the typical 3-stitch mesh (2 chains+DC or 3 DC) is wide. So, you end up with a 'squatty' filet picture.

There are 2 solutions. One, pull up your initial loop longer than usual and finish the stitch to make a taller DC. I personally don't like that one because I think it looks sloppy....the other solution is to use an EDC instead of a DC. Let me see if I can find instructions somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately going to a bigger hook only makes my mesh longer I still have to do the edc because like Granny Square I make squatty dc. At this point edc are so awkward to me that I crochet much slower than I normally would hopefully with time this will be come habit and my comfort level will pick back up.

Thanks again.

I love the Edc for filet work. I quit having squatty looking pieces when I learned to do that stitch. I wouldn't even consider doing filet work without it anymore, and I have done lots and lots of filet pieces. As for gauge it all depends on the size thread, size hook, and your tension.

You are using a smaller hook than I would use for size 10 thread. But I crochet fairly tight. But the average size hook for size 10 thread is a 1.5-1.8 mm hook. or a 6, 7, or 8 size hook. The most common being a size 7/1.65 mm hook. But if you work loosely the smaller hook may work well for you.

Wish you luck with you filet work. It's a wonderful aspect of crocheting.

You can block a some of the squattiness out.

Another way to continue using 'squatty DCs', depending on the pattern--

You can change the orientation to 'use' the squatty look. Example:

post-13625-135897422132_thumb.jpg

This is a little doily I made for our piano (sorry, it's been sitting there for a while and needs blocking :P). The dancers are too squatty, but if I'd made the pattern stitching top to bottom instead, the dancers would have been more slender...but the piece would also be taller and less wide.

You can get away with DCs most of the time if the piece is not supposed to be square...

Thank you everyone for all the tips and the links. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help and input. I have been saving the sites for future referrence after I have looked over them. All great information. The piano doily is so pretty. I see what you mean about working with the squattiness. I haven't tried the triple crochet in ages, :blush the last time I did it was even more ackward then the edc.

Thanks again. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Archived