Where's my free pattern? (FOUND: Read POST 23)

Thanks for posting the link Amy. I've gone back to the Annie's Attic home page and searched :sigh for several minutes but still can not find the free pattern of the day. I must need new glasses! :blush

The link is no longer available at the main Annie's Attic site. You have to go to DRG's new website: www.free-crochet.com. On the main page of that site, you'll see a picture of the pattern they're offering as the free pattern of the day, plus a download button to get a pdf version of the pattern.

However, you have to be a registered member of the site (free account) in order to download the pattern.

I have a question for those that have subscribed. Do you get a lot of spam in your mail box from Annie's Attic and affiliated companies? I'm pretty overwhelmed with spam :yuck as it is and do not want any more!

I noticed that too, not offering crochet as an interest when you sign up. :think

I still signed up to be able to dl the free pattern of the day. It is a shame they ignored crochet & also that they didn't mention on the main page where you can find the free pattern.

I have a question for those that have subscribed. Do you get a lot of spam in your mail box from Annie's Attic and affiliated companies? I'm pretty overwhelmed with spam :yuck as it is and do not want any more!

When you sign up, you give them permission to send you communications from their company. I'm a member of other DRG sites, and I've never noticed an excessive amount of advertising emails from them. I really don't consider this type of advertising spam, since I've given permission for them to send it to me. (I think of spam as all the junk I get from people/companies with whom I've established no type of relationship.) Of course, for those who don't want to receive any type of advertising email from the company at all, it would probably be best not to register the free account (which will also mean you won't be able to access the free patterns).

You can also electively sign up to receive special email newsletters on a variety of topics.

Unfortunately, if you want to receive free patterns from a company, you have to be prepared to receive advertising from them in return. After all, the purpose of the free patterns is to entice you to buy other items from them. That's just the way of the business world. You really can't expect to get something for nothing in most places. :)

When you sign up, you give them permission to send you communications from their company. :)

I guess what I'm most concerned about is that some companies sell your information to other related businesses. I don't mind getting emails from DRG affiliates. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if they're fixing it so we can download them?! :blush

Could you explain what you mean by download? I save the patterns to a Word dot doc... does that not count as a download?

I have seen this phrase twice now and I can't quite figure out what constitutes a "download" if not saving the pattern to my computer.

It seems rather odd to me that I have to agree to get a free issue of a magazine to which I subscribe to join. Why not ask if I am a subscriber first. I hate magazine subscriptions... they never work and they can do anything they want with MY subscribed magazine and I don't get a say in any of it.

Come to think of it the freebie would be nice since they have never sent me one I paid for yet!!!!!!!!

Could you explain what you mean by download? I save the patterns to a Word dot doc... does that not count as a download?

I have seen this phrase twice now and I can't quite figure out what constitutes a "download" if not saving the pattern to my computer.

Yes Darski, if you are saving them to your computer you are down loading them.

This is the reply that I got from Annies Attic customer service half an hour ago

Thank you for your interest in our products. We are no longer featuring the free pattern of the day, but you can find lots of free and wonderful patterns at our other sites: Free-Crochet.com, Free-KnitPatterns.com and Free-Quilting.com.

I have to say that I am really sad about this.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is that some companies sell your information to other related businesses. I don't mind getting emails from DRG affiliates. :)

If I remember right, when you create the account, you agree to let DRG send you information. Their privacy policy does say you may receive emails from other companies DRG believes may be of interest to you.

With every email they send, they include an opt-out link so you can request not to receive any future email. You can also contact them directly to opt-out from receiving future messages from them. The email address can be found on the Privacy page of the free-crochet website.

It seems rather odd to me that I have to agree to get a free issue of a magazine to which I subscribe to join. Why not ask if I am a subscriber first. I hate magazine subscriptions... they never work and they can do anything they want with MY subscribed magazine and I don't get a say in any of it.

Darski, you don't have to accept the free issue of the magazine. There was an option to say you didn't want the magazine.

I came here earlier to see if anyone knew why no free pattern was offered at Annie's Attic...found the answer, thank you AMY! Now, after giving my name, address, first born and my right arm, I'm signed up at the new site. (already received half a dozen or so emails and goodness knows how much snail mail will start coming in) After looking through a few of the patterns it seems that they are the same patterns offered at freepatterns.com...I'm disappointed. Oh well, at least we will still get a free pattern a day.

I came here earlier to see if anyone knew why no free pattern was offered at Annie's Attic...found the answer, thank you AMY! Now, after giving my name, address, first born and my right arm, I'm signed up at the new site. (already received half a dozen or so emails and goodness knows how much snail mail will start coming in) After looking through a few of the patterns it seems that they are the same patterns offered at freepatterns.com...I'm disappointed. Oh well, at least we will still get a free pattern a day.

They are exactly the same patterns...:think

I thought it was my computer also but since I have noticed most of the patterns are in books I already own, I wasn't that disappointed. I just would have liked to be able to save the page and print when I wanted to.

LI Roe

When you sign up, you give them permission to send you communications from their company. ............

Unfortunately, if you want to receive free patterns from a company, you have to be prepared to receive advertising from them in return. After all, the purpose of the free patterns is to entice you to buy other items from them. That's just the way of the business world. You really can't expect to get something for nothing in most places. :)

This is a misconception. Your are not automatically giving them permission to send communications for the company, nor do have to receive advertising form them. When signing up at any website, you need to carefully pay attention to the things that the sign-up page has checked in advance. On almost all sites, there is a box that is already checked that gives permission for "communication; from whatever the site is, offering to send information on specials,etc form the site and it's affiliates: if you uncheck this box, you don't get any of that stuff. I checked at "free patterns.com and on the registration page, at the bottom is the aforementioned, pre-checked box: uncheck it and you don't get all the extra annoying emails and ads. Most people end up getting email they don't want due to not paying attention to sign-up forms. Read them all carefully and pay careful attention to boxs that are checked as a default.

Archived