The Lowell Sampler

HomekeepingGran

Since my sore hand won't let me knit much and certainly won't let me crochet, I've found I can do a few other things without too much trouble. Hanging onto the edge of an embroidery hoop is one of them so I pulled out the Lowell Sampler I had nearly finished and started back on it.

This one is a bittersweet finish for me. The sampler came in the mail right before I went to visit my parents, back when Mother was still alive. I took it to show to her. She loved it, of course, being a veteran crafter herself. I washed the wools (never have understood why they want you to wash your threads first) while I was there and started a few stitches with her looking on approvingly. She definitely wanted to see it when I finished. Well... I'm afraid I am so bad about things. Something else came up and the sampler got pushed aside. Then it got shoved underneath something and forgotten. Later I found it and worked on it again. It got shoved aside again. Over and over. Several years later I have finally finished but Mother is no longer around to see it. — You just never get over missing your mother, I guess.

Anyway.

This is my first crewel embroidery and several of the techniques were new to me. I can definitely tell how much I learned as I worked the piece. Plus, LOL, I totally misunderstood the directions right at first and misworked a leaf, but I LIKE it misworked! I keep waffling about fixing it, wondering if it should be left as a tribute to my initial stupidity and subsequent stubbornness, or made to march right in step with the rest of the leaves! At any rate, this is totally an amateur production but it IS FINISHED! (After all these years.)

post-11235-135897421413_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897421415_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897421417_thumb.jpg

Wow!! That is lovely my friend! :hug and I'm sure your mother is looking down at your finished work and smiling. Beautiful work. (and I couldn't find the "bad" leaf...of course that maybe tells you my level of skill there :P)

Thank you, friends! I've been thinking about my renegade leaf and like it too much to remove it. I don't know if I'll ever do crewel again but I may make it my "trademark" to have a single rogue leaf done in this fashion. (smile.)

That is absolutely AWESOME!!! I wouldn't change the mis-worked leaf (I couldn't see it anyway). Keep it exactly as it is!! Just a reminder that we aren't perfect :)

Archived