What do you knit, and what do you crochet?

For those who do both (or even those who want to try both), what do you knit versus what do you crochet? Are there certain items that you think look better crocheted or knitted?

I knit socks...the whole purpose for learning to knit was to learn to knit socks. I just think they feel better on my feet. I have also been known to knit scarves. Unfortunately, those two things are about the only things that I have the patience to knit.

I crochet anything that must be done in the round such as hats, amigurumi, little bags, etc. I also only crochet afghans, though there was a knitting pattern for an afghan that looked intriguing...

I crochet scarves and any kind of motif like a flower, etc.

What do you knit, and what do you crochet?

The last thing I knitted was a very complicated Christmas stocking. My boss was an excelling knitter and crocheter and she helped me with it (this was over 30 years ago). :eek She taught me how to read a crochet pattern and I've been crocheting ever since! :D I really like to do baby blankets, afghans, prayer shawls, scarves, and dishcloths and I used to do Barbie doll clothes, and other baby doll clothes.

I don't think I'll ever knit again because I'd rather do the crochet--it's faster and it's easier to correct a mistake. :hook

I like to knit socks, as crocheting them looks terribly complicated! :eek

I also like to knit sweaters, although I recently saw a great sweater in Crochet World that I'm dying to make. :hook

I tend to knit scarves, as they seem to have a better drape, IMHO. However, I've ventured out to crocheting an Entrelac Tunisian scarf, which is going well so far. :crocheting

For anything large, like an afghan or baby blanket, I prefer to crochet it, as I'm guessing you could die of old age knitting some of the knitted afghan patterns I've seen (worsted weight, sized 8 needles for a 49" x 63" afghan??? I don't think so! :rofl). Also, I just like how a crocheted afghan looks, and I like the fact that they are thicker, to keep you warmer. :c9

I also like to crochet hats.

I make almost everything in either knit or crochet--just depends on whether it's a particular pattern I like, or a yarn that begs to be made into some particular item. And what my budget is like. Since I knit so much more slowly and it uses less yarn, if I'm broke (like now), I knit. But the patterns in the current IC are screaming to me to be made.

Interestingly, the only think I have no desire to knit or crochet are socks, although I have sock pattern books and even started crocheting a pair a few years ago. I really should frog that project. After all, there are really only about 2 weeks a year you can wear socks out here in the desert.

Patty

I knit sweaters, dishcloths, baby blankets socks (well, one pair anyway), hats, scarves, lace, including stoles and other flat wearables. I hope to learn to knit lace doilies since I have more than one knit pattern I would really like to have.

I crochet afghans, baby blankets, shawls, lace doilies, strips of lace, dishcloths.

There is some overlap here but... :hook+ :knit= :manyheart.

Until recently, I only crocheted and tend to lean towards things I don't have to "tailor" to fit (like jackets). love ghans, shawls, pillows, and like ami's.

W/ the knitting, well, I have made all of ONE skinny scarf, all in knit stitch, so far and am working on a wider scarf (2 feet done so far) in knit 1 row/purl 1 row. The next class is suppose to be w/ double strands to make a hat. w/ looking at knitting sights, I did not realize that there was so many stitch variations.

It's fun, but I think I'll mainly stick w/ crochet. (esp since I already have SSSOOO many wim's, wips, pigs, etc in crochet).

Sandy

It depends on a lot of things.

For instance, if I'm using boucle, I have to knit with it, or to crochet with it I have to be using a VERY simple pattern or double strand it with a plain yarn.

I typically knit hats, sweaters, or anything I want relatively close fitting. I typically crochet afghans, scarves, shawls, and simple wearables.

Well...I will never crochet socks, nor will I ever knit an afghan! LOL! I love how knit socks feel on my feet and the thought of knitting a whole afghan does not appeal to me...it would take me forever. I also knit AND crochet sweaters.

I learned to crochet in my mid-twenties and immediately learned to knit. I knitted a pr of slippers and said good-bye to knitting. It just seems so slow to me and I had sooooo much I wanted to crochet. My sister can knit but much prefers crochet also. I will crochet a pair of socks this winter. I am determined! There are some great patterns for them!

Having said all that.....I want to try learning to knit again and see if I like it any better now, 35 yrs later!

Ahhhh, Lady of Roses......I saw a friend knitting a baby blanket with boucle and it was just gorgeous!!! I thought at the time I would love to crochet with it, but it has proved too frustrating.

I am relearning to knit and have already made three dishcloths. I am working on a pair of socks and want to make mittens, hats, scarfs for presents.

Crocheting I love to make doilies, table toppers, tablecloths, afghans, baby blankets, coasters, booties, buntings, angels, baby sweaters.

Hope to some day learn to knit a doily and a sweater with cables for myself.

Hugs

Charlene in Maine

When the original Knitting Olympics was started I earned my Gold medal when I knitted 16 different hats in 16 days. That was a lot of fun.

I have knit one "Feather and Fan" throw. it is only because I love my aunt very, very much that that one got finished.

My fave thing to knit is stitch patterns.:eek I sometimes turn them into scarves but not always.

Crochet is my first love and I can make just about anything with hook and yarn but I know that some things are just better knit.

Once upon a year I actually knit a child's sweater. When I did that I told my knitting Y-group to get ready for the rapture because the last miracle had occurred :rofl

I tried to knit a scarf once and it was the oddest thing, for a few rows it was the right size, then it got very fat and from there it just kept getting thinner and thinner and thinner and I never could figure it out lol. Knitting just confuses me. I thought about trying it again, mainly because of the Harry Potter knitting book lol but I really don't think that I will ever knit again.

I mainly crochet afghans but lately I have been branching out and I actually finished a sweater for my son... although in the three months that it took me to finish it he outgrew it lol. Now I am working on a tote bag, a BICO sweater and have a few other bags and wearables on my to do list.

I knit dishcloths and have knit a baby afghan and some round afghans. The afghans are not heavy but they are warm.

I crochet afghans, potholders, scarves and baby stuff. I find that my crochet moves much faster!!:lol

This is a very interesting thread. I only know how to crochet, but I am tempted to learn to knit this summer. There is a magazine in the shops with needles for socks and a how-to guide - I might have to buy it to take on holiday with me!

I enjoy both crafts, though, in my opinion only, wearables look better knitted. I've tried to crochet some sweaters and they don't look any good at all.

I crochet lace, afghans, purses, hats.

I would LOVE to learn to knit socks, but can't find anyone to teach me.

I prefer crochet to knitting hands down. :hook

However, I knit baby blankets on occasion just to keep in practice - at my age I need a challenge to keep my mind going. :lol

There are some really pretty and simple patterns that I use just for a change of pace.

I love to crochet and do hats & blankets as my favorites, but will do other seasonal projects and bookmarks too. Whatever strikes my fancy or whatever is needed at the time. I also like to try different stitches- again, to keep my mind active.

Archived