My sister's work

I Create

My sister is almost blind and has done all kinds of needlework and crafts her whole life. I came to these things later in life. Crochet has been my adult lifelong thrill, having done it since I was 26 or 27, and other crafts followed. Art work (drawing/painting: see S & T, Other Crafts) came much later in my early 50's.

At any rate, my sister has adult-onset diabetes which has taken its toll on her body, her eyes included. But she still crochets lovely items. She did not even realize that others were also doing this type thing, but this past year she began crocheting the burial dresses for babies who don't survive. She crochets the dress and hat and has bought tiny doll socks for them. She buys the white gift boxes and puts them in those. Recently she has begun adding a tiny bought teddy bear and she always writes a brief note of sympathy (without her name). A friend whose DGD lost a baby and was too poor to afford a burial dress is what brought this project about.

These are her own made up patterns, she just thinks them up as she makes the dresses. Her DIL who also crochets helps her put them together, gluing appliques, etc on them and sewing in lace inserts. Here are some of them (she has already made about 50):

post-23943-135897420898_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897420901_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897420903_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897420905_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897420907_thumb.jpg

Those sets are absolutely gorgeous!

What a generous spirit your sister has. I love that she doesn't let her loss of eyesight stop her from doing what she enjoys.

What a great ministry to those families who have lost a little angel. Thank your sister for her work and time in giving to those families. The dresses/outfits are beautiful.

What beautiful work! Everytime I see these burial sets or buntings, or anything that has to do with an infant death, I start to tea up. It's very hard for me to comment on them. Bless your sister for her ministry.

These gowns are truly lovely and must indeed comfort those who receive them. I have always been afraid of losing my eye sight (just really thick glasses right now ;)), so I'm thrilled to see that one can crochet with no sight. Thanks to you and your sister for the inspiration. :hook

Oh your sister's work is amazing! Absolutely stunning and beautiful! What a special gift for the families who receive them, especially given the circumstances. I crochet little blankets for premature babies, I don't know how to make clothes. Your sister, through her work, has inspired me to try. :yes

Thank you so much for sharing her special gifts with us! :manyheart

Thank you all for my sis, and I'm so glad that she has inspired one of you to try dresses. She would love that! She is a teacher and has tutored and home-taught many kids. Her own, grandkids, and those of friends who were struggling in school. I'm talking about full-time teaching. She has her own registered private school and still teaches one foster grandson and might teach one other child this fall. I don't know how she does it except to say "It's God".

Those are beautiful and will be such a blessing to a family of a small angel. My son was born very ill and had to be flown by helicopter to the NICU - the paramedic gave him a handmade knit cap with an angel charm on it. The generosity of a complete stranger at a devastating time in our life, brought us such comfort.

My Grandmother and my Aunt were both blind. Prior to losing her eyesight, my Grams did amazing embroidery, but once she lost her sight (in her 20's) she wasn't able to continue.

They are gorgeous, I have to agree. And in person even more so. But I want to give credit to her DIL who travels from out of state often to see my sister and patiently helps her pull ribbon thru those rows, insert lace, glue on appliques, etc. She is a jewel of a DIL!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived